Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/10/20/driver-arrested-after-car-veers-into-motorcycle-hurting-2/?intcmp=hpff

A 68-year-old man accused of veering his car into a motorcycle, injuring both of its riders, has been arrested on aggravated assault charges.

William Crum of Granbury was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Hood County District Attorney Rob Christian said Crum would remain in custody pending a bond hearing Tuesday. He didn't know whether Crum has an attorney who could comment on his behalf.

Each count carries a punishment of two to 20 years in prison if convicted.

The crash happened Saturday on a two-lane road about 5 miles north of Granbury. Eric Sanders, the driver of the motorcycle, contends the car's driver swerved intentionally. He suffered abrasions, and his girlfriend was taken to a Fort Worth hospital with a broken wrist and deep arm lacerations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like how the DA is contemplating laying charges, this is a no brainer, the film alone should be enough to convict him of attempted murder.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
They've charged him with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon. I hope it sticks and he gets a serious sentence.

The guy on the bike passed on a double yellow line because the car was going 20 mph under the speed limit. There was a clear line of sight and no oncoming traffic. I would, I have, and will in the future; do the same thing.

The guy in the car obviously has a prejudice against motorcyclists.
Not to defend the cagers actions or to imply that the motorcyclist did anything to deserve what happened. NOT IN ANY WAY!

But, we need to recognize that how we ride affects some peoples perception of all of us.
Flipping people off, throwing marbles, knocking mirrors off and yes passing in manner that makes for an unsafe condition could turn a normal jackass on four wheels into a potential road hazard for you, me and other riders.

I hear a lot about how the media is damaging how the public views 'bikers'. I think we gotta take some responsibility on how we are perceived too.
I don't think anyone who rides can watch this video and not feel anger. But, if you take out your anger on the road; you might create another William Crum.

Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just be aware Scott, in some areas like Ontario for example, it is permissible to pass on a double yellow, a double yellow simply indicates caution should be used in both directions. A double white would mean no passing period. So it may be that in this case the motorcyclist was in his right to pass, I saw the video and that was deliberate attempt to injure or kill, the rider had no or little chance to react to that idiot swerving like he did.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
This happened on Tin-top hwy about 20 miles from my home.
Crossing a double yellow to pass is NOT permitted in TX.

Yes, the driver of the car did what he did intentionally.

Scott

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Wow, the previous post was my 2000th!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
As Scott said, In Texas double yellow lines mean no passing. Double white lines no longer have any traffic control authority.
It is obvious the motorcycle rider made a bad choicer or three, but it is not up to the cars to decide the punishment.
Along that line, I hope the guy in the car gets what he deserves!!
Personally, since he doesn't care, let's put him on a moped on MOPAC 1 in Austin at 5PM.
Either that or I30 in Dallas anytime.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not for nothin' . . . but . . .

1) No excuse for the Driver's actions - he should and will be held accountable

2) Opening the video and watching the riding, made me a little upset at the rider(s) - the thought - "Those are the guys I hate coming upon when I'm out riding" came to mind

3) Aside from a quick check to make sure his "friends" are breathing, the videographer did little to nothing to check on them - the Samaritans who stopped seemed more concerned for their well being than he did. When he approached the driver I thought OK good . . . check on your friends then stay with the other guy to make sure he didn't leave. When he pulled out his phone I thought "Better . . .call the cops and EMS to come help out your friends" But he just took a picture of the other car and kept telling everyone that he had it on video (albeit taking a picture was a smart thing in case the guy decided to deedee it out of there, but he never did call 911) - and you know he was jonsin' to see that video . . . I know adrenalin can make you act out of character, but . . . even when he went back to his friends, he didn't see overly concerned for about them . . . which brings me back to point 2 . . .

Just sayin' . . .

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, since he doesn't care, let's put him on a moped on MOPAC 1 in Austin at 5PM. Either that or I30 in Dallas anytime.
a traffic piñata..

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
2) Opening the video and watching the riding, made me a little upset at the rider(s) - the thought - "Those are the guys I hate coming upon when I'm out riding" came to mind

3) Aside from a quick check to make sure his "friends" are breathing, the videographer did little to nothing to check on them - . . .
look at the repost video is 5 minutes more complete..
this rider Eric Sanders did not know these folks,, only came up behind them moments b4 all this took place.. they were not his ridding buddies.

now, put yourself in the place of that old man driver. he must be watching his rear view mirror a lot, because the pull out was from behind another vehicle and just mere moment b4 he made the decision to hit them.. he probably had been considering it for quite a while b4 it happened.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The bike rider just happened to pass the wrong driver on the wrong day. Evidently, something had irritated that old man about bike riders. He says something near the end of the video I saw on Yahoo yesterday about other riders on that road. I don't recall his exact words, but he admitted on camera he did it on purpose. That was before it made the evening news and now you can't find the entire video. The end of it is cut short.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Not entirely sure they are friends, could be just riding the same road at the same time..... either way I agree with getting the guy and his vehicle as well as the license plate number on video.
And actually, others were providing care for the injured, I just didn't see anyone calling 9-1-1. That does not mean it didn't happen, I just didn't see it.
Not trying to upset anyone or start a urinating contest, I promise.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My wife told me about the interview on TV. He, (pickup driver) said he was stung by a bee (on scene) / bitten by a spider (during the interview) and it was a reflex. The reporter asked the guy (again the pickup driver) to raise his pant leg, but saw no indication of a bite or sting.....
Then he said he didn't realize there was a passenger on the bike. He just thought it was one of those guys that rode wheelies all the time on that road and he was gonna show 'em something.
The reporter asked if he (pickup driver) hit them on purpose and his response was, "I don't think I did. I don't know that I did anything wrong".
That's why he is out on $16,000 bond or so. 2 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The guy piloting the bike was cited for passing in a no passing zone.., The girl has already had several surgeries and more to come.

·
Registered
53 Posts
First thanks Scott for that clarification, as for the bee bit, bull, it "just happened" to be there when the rider was passing? yeah okay, and I got some waterfront property in Arizona for sale. If you have a bee in the car, you pull over, and to clearly state "I don't care" and saying it right at the beginning, shows that he is probably lying through his false teeth and probably thought it up on the spur of the moment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bike rider just happened to pass the wrong driver on the wrong day. Evidently, something had irritated that old man about bike riders. He says something near the end of the video I saw on Yahoo yesterday about other riders on that road. I don't recall his exact words, but he admitted on camera he did it on purpose. That was before it made the evening news and now you can't find the entire video. The end of it is cut short.
Sounds like a real solid turd.

excerpt from.. Driver Arrested For Texas Motorcycle Crash Has Been In Trouble Before « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Crum, 68, now faces two counts of aggravated assault. While he remains in jail for these alleged crimes this isn’t the first time Crum has been arrested. Records show he has also faced charges for everything from family violence assault, to unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, abusive calls to 911 and making a terroristic threat.

Before being arrested, Crum explained that the swerving was his reaction to a spider bite. However, he was captured on video saying “I don’t care” about the motorcycle crash and the two victims. “On that particular road,” Crum said, “I’ve seen them do wheelies at 60 mph, and I thought he was one of them. I didn’t know there was a passenger.”

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Personally, since he doesn't care, let's put him on a moped on MOPAC 1 in Austin at 5PM.
Either that or I30 in Dallas anytime.
Ain't that the truth. If he was a real A/hole ... he could be made to run the I35 corridor from Dallas to San Antonio.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
First off, I'm not sure he has the IQ to remain balanced on a moped, much less test the terrible tide of Dallas commuters any day of the week.
Secondly, I'm not surprised by someone going 20 mph under the speed limit just to "urinate" someone off. Every morning when I leave to start my route of inspections, I run across at least 6-12 drivers who are just trying to "urinate" me off! I mean, I get dressed, have my two cups of coffee and stop for my traditional Dr. Pepper and something sugary I get soooo "urinated" at those crazy drivers trying to tick me off I find my hands shaking, my blood pressure up and my eyes twitching! Crazy drivers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts