Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to two tone my batwing and hard bag's. I thought it would be a snap! It's Kawasaki metallic titanium and OEM pin stripe. Painter said he can't get the code. Bring in the fender and he will try to match it. No promises and he didn't know what to do about the pin stripe. This painter was referred by the Harley shop. Anyone else have problems matching the factory paint and pin stripe? Also added the Baron front pulley and 170/80 rear tire. I went with the 9" spoiler windshield, because it looked so COOL!! It's to low for me. Like having no windshield! Should have listened to ya'll and got the 12". AND made new black lowers!! Here's a shot with no fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There aren't a lot of brands that carry it. Colorrite does, if you want to pay an arm and a leg for mediocre paint. But, if matching spot on is important to you it's gonna cost a bit. Maybe buy the colorrite paint and bring it to your painter.

The black doesn't look bad though. Slap a Vulcan logo on that fairing and I honestly think it would look pretty good, without the expense of painting it to match. Otherwise, let your painter have a go at it. He may be able to get it pretty close!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Touchupdirect.com is also now available, at less cost. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Find a custom shop that mixes their own color through a color match system. They use a camera like device that they set on your clean surface that you want to match and take 4 to 6 sample shots. They then download this info into a computer that analyzes the sample data, averages the samples and provides a recipe for the proper mix. I'm aware of one such shop here just 4 or 5 miles down the road from me that does this and I live out in the country. I've seen them match old faded paint so that you couldn't tell a difference. They're quite popular with the insurance companies.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Find a custom shop that mixes their own color through a color match system. They use a camera like device that they set on your clean surface that you want to match and take 4 to 6 sample shots. They then download this info into a computer that analyzes the sample data, averages the samples and provides a recipe for the proper mix. I'm aware of one such shop here just 4 or 5 miles down the road from me that does this and I live out in the country. I've seen them match old faded paint so that you couldn't tell a difference. They're quite popular with the insurance companies.
its the only way if you want it done well .... tell them to remember the base color ... it all can be done. Two tone with pin striping.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Syko - What's the name of that shop in case I ever need their services?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painters guy tried the 20k camera on the front fender and could not find a flat enough spot to get a good reading. Then he had me ride to Baxter auto. Their camera got a picture on the rear fender. Painter says the camera is wrong many times and he custom matches from there. The pin stripe seems to be a problem. Whiting 57, is your pin stripe tape? or painted on?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

Paint matching is on my list of things to do as well, as you can see! But so is a fairing, and a trailer. I've got a guy who is going to do the painting, but he says it'll be cheaper to do everything at once so I'm gonna wait until I have the fairing and trailer. (Been slowly piecing this bike together!) I was inspired by Whiting some time ago to do a paint-matched trailer, I love the idea.

But black matches pretty nicely because there's a lot of black on the bike (black seat, etc.), so I don't think it's too bad right now. If I were you, I'd either find someone who can match it well or leave it black. I, personally, think the black accessories look better than poorly matched ones.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The pin stripe seems to be a problem. Whiting 57, is your pin stripe tape? or painted on?

Tape .. under the clear coat ... and its a spot on match .... mine was done by a regullar "fix it" franchise body shop .. not custom painter ... he scanned the tank and the fender side ......., fairing and bags $699, trailer $699 ... i left him the front fender to check the match.

some body shops do not like doing bikes. some do, my guy wont do boats.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I needed some paint work done on my scoot and the guys I have been using for all my paint and body work for twenty years wouldn't touch it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts