Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday, I couldn't help myself. I ordered a new Corbin "Young Guns" seat for my 2010 900 Custom. I ordered it without the backrest hardware. The person at Corbin told me it would be about 3 weeks before it would be finished. I ordered it black on black.
I had already modified my stock seat because of my tailbone hurting me after a 30 minute ride. The modification of removing some foam in the tailbone contact point helped a lot, but after about an hour and a half I got a bad case of "numb-butt"! However, my tailbone pain was actually minimal.
It seems so strange to me, I traded my sportbike in on this VN900 custom so that I could have a super comfortable ride. Actually it was just the opposite, my sportbike was much more comfortable. I attribute that to the excellent stock Suzuki seat. Now my butt is in "Corbin's" hands. :eek:
I will let you folks know when I get the new seat. Corbin claims there is a 2,000 mile break-in period for the seat. We shall see?:l

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It'll feel firm (comfortably so) when you get it. Just trust the break-in process. It'll still be firm, but once it breaks in for your butt, it'll be even more comfy. I like mine a lot (Dual Tour on a Classic).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, thanks for the reassurance. I am really looking forward to the new seat. Years ago, I had a 1986 FZ750. The bike was quite comfortable, as was the seat. A buddy had the same year bike, but he had the Corbin Gun-fighter seat. We switched bikes for an afternoon, and WOW I was impressed with his Corbin seat...and I had actually thought my stock seat was comfortable.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Best decision I made was to buy the Corbin Young Guns. Worst decision was I sold it after a couple of years because the passanger portion was not really designed for long touring. Kicked my self in the rear end every solo trip made after I sold it. Good news the guy who I sold it traded his ride a couple of weeks ago and I bought it back! In between I owned a Gel Classic saddle, Willie & Max, Mustang Touring and a Daytripper. The willie and max was nice but not designed for long touring so I recently sold it, the daytripper looks was not for me so a friend kept it for the same price and the mustang touring pushed me forward wich was unconfortable so sold it as well. i kept the Gel OEM classic for when 2up wich keeps the wife happy and when solo nothing but my leather corbin young guns!

·
Registered
135 Posts
well I hope it's exactly what you're looking for, but if it's not let me be the first to say, I'd like to have the opportunity to buy it from you. I've been looking for a used one for awhile now and haven't had a bit of luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been looking for a used one for awhile now and haven't had a bit of luck.
That may be good evidence that not many people take the Corbin Young Guns seat off once they put it on!

@Magyar- How big are you? I have a 2010 900 Custom also, and I would appreciate your feedback once you get the seat, as far as comfort and whether your position changes, etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the dual tourer and after 7000 miles can't imagine anything else! You will not be disappointed once you get through the break-in...by the way baseball glove conditioner or saddle soap will help with the break-in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the information.
Swimbikerun, I don't know if it's too late or not, but a week or so ago I saw a used one for a Vulcan 900 on Ebay. It was a single style Corbin Young-Guns. Go to Ebay and check it out. Hopefully it's not too late. If I remember correctly the price was around $150.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vulcan 900 CSE

I’m considering buying the 2011 Custom, unfortunately the seat doesn’t fit right. I’m 6’2” and I feel like I’m pushed forward and on top of the tank. The dealership said they could replace the seat but I don’t know what to look for. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
711 Posts
as i stated above the corbin young guns is one of the very few and truly very few that will pull you back. see my post

·
Registered
5 Posts
900 custom burnt orange cross country trip

i have a corbin seat on mine and it sucks. its my 3rd corbin seat but first that has been uncomfortable. I just finished an 8k mmile trip from seattle to illinois and then to naples fla and back. in just over 3 weeks. numb!!!!!! edge also cuts into back.

I also have had the second gear problem with popping out of 2nd only on hard acceleration tho.

for the most part bike handled itself well. ran the beartooth in montana and wyoming. got good gas mileage. but on return had to have all valves shimmed. thhis is not a great bike for long trips. engine works too hard over 70 with too much vibration. BUZZY is a good description. sounds and feels like a 2 cycle outboard. ethanol and altitude really hampered performance, slowing it down and dropping gas mileage. oil light came on in the one time that i hit rain. but went away as oil had just been changed and no leaks. almost lost bolt on shifter assembly but caught it in time. turn signals were dicey but wire under seat was out of holder so that problem went away. Bike does handle well , much better than the mean streak it replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
corbin seat

i got hte yung guns seat when i got m bike. first uncomfortable corbin ive ever had. it was well broken in when i took a cross country tip of 8k miles. made me want a pillow for my rear

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as i stated above the corbin young guns is one of the very few and truly very few that will pull you back. see my post
V-Twin, just out of curiousity, how tall are you? I'm 6' tall, and 200 pounds. I am wondering about the height thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts