Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I feel like a dufus but I put on a pair of throw-over bags under my seat. It was a bit of a challenge to get my seat to latch but it did. Now it won't come off and all I'm doing is bending my key! I need to be able to get them back off so I can adjust them but I don't know what options I have. Is there a way to get a long screwdriver or something to help unlock it? I'm about to leave on a trip so I'm in a real pickle if I don't get this resolved. Things had been going too well to prepare for this trip so it figures I had to do something stupid.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do that. I tried leaning down on the seat as a whole but not the pilion specifically. I'll try that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pushed hard but I couldn't get it to do anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, that's not stupid. Given my actions, it's a fair question. But yes, I was trying to turn the key while pushing on it hard. You know these keys are not very thick so it's not easy applying a lot of pressure. They seem to bend without too much trouble, either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. I had the same problem, but it eventually worked out for me.

Try not pushing so hard on the passenger's seat as you're trying to turn the key and see if you can "feel" the notch for it.

Outside of that I don't know -- it took me a couple of days to figure it out myself (yes, I'm that dumb ;) )

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might need to push down on seat right where the latch is ,turn key,while keeping it in the turned position pull up on the back of the seat kinda hard

·
Registered
35 Posts
An extra set of hands

If you have someone who can help you, sit on the passenger seat (which is over the clamp mechanism, and have someone try to turn the key. Obviously, they will need to keep it turned if it works until you hop off the seat. But this might give you enough downward pressure on the mechanism to relieve some of the tension that's keeping it from opening.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Some tips from others in your situation involve having someone actually sit on the seat (up high, in the passenger area) while you turn the key. Hope you get it off soon, good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried again this morning and finally found the right balance between pushing down and turning that key that if finally popped! I think I was pushing down too hard at first but before speaking with you guys, I was doing it all wrong so I thank you for putting me in the right direction. Ya'll rock!

Colorado here I come!

·
Registered
376 Posts
One you have the seat off, flip the seat over and remove the metal plate that has the two projections. Add a couple of flat washers under each side of the plate and reassemble. This will give you a little more clearance for the throw over bags and make it easier to remove the seat in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One you have the seat off, flip the seat over and remove the metal plate that has the two projections. Add a couple of flat washers under each side of the plate and reassemble. This will give you a little more clearance for the throw over bags and make it easier to remove the seat in the future.
After adding my throwovers I did this but put the washers under the latch assembly on the fender, which also worked. I didn't think to put them on the seat. The seat is probably the better option. There isn't a whole lot of spare length on the latch assembly bolts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know on mine that the key is tough to turn when I am not pushing down on the pillion. The latch is connected to the lock by a cable, and if the latch sticks, the key is hard to turn..

·
Registered
376 Posts
When I took my 900 in to the dealer for the fuel line recall, the tech came out of the shop and asked me if I had another key. The seat would not come off with the one I left him. I explained that you had to push down on the seat as you turn the key. All was OK.

Don't feel bad, even a dealer has trouble!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I took my seat off today to look at the latch. If you can get a flat piece of metal in from the right side to the latch, there is a rounded catch that you can push over to the left side on a horizontal plane, to unleash the seat. My guess is you may have a piece of the saddlebag yoke caught on this piece of the latch, and that is why it won't open with the key. A stronger key will not solve your problem. You should be able to pick up the saddlebag and see under the bag and seat to get to the latch. It will open once you slide the latch catch from the right to the left........ I don't have any pictures, but if you are still trying to get it opened, I can take some with the seat off tomorrow and try to upload them......Walt E.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once off, apply WD 40 to latch AND spray some on key, insert and turn key. This lubricates the inside of the lock. It made mine work good as new... maybe better !

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Never did hear if Meangreen ever was successful in getting the seat off. Anyone else ever hear if he was successful?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts