Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i made my decision and decided to trade in my 06 honda shadow spirit for an 08 Vulcan 900 custom. and then i get a text message. a guy wants to discuss trading his 05 shadow 1100 sabre for my 06 750 spirit. We are in the preliminary stages, and i am not sure if i even want the 1100 sabre. i really dig the styling of the vulcan custom and it seems to fit me perfectly. but i would definitely need to consider trading if it means no bike note. does anyone have any advice to give? i have been looking for reviews on the 1100 but did not find much.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well...I used to troll the Shadow forums, so I have, at least, a passing familiarity with the the 1100. I also had the opportunity to throw a leg over an older 1100 ACE. After the Vulcan, it felt a bit small. I've also read that the 1100 wasn't exactly a powerhouse, and you could probably expect similar performance from a newer 750 Shadow.

I'd hit Hondashadow.net and see what you can drudge up. I don't want to point a finger and say, "nope, that bike is weak" since I don't know a whole lot about it. I DO know a VN900 will hang all day with an 1100 V-Star, and be more comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i am on there too, actually that's where i posted that my bike was for sale. i did some diggin and found a couple of old threads comparing the 2 bikes. the Vulcan seems to have the edge but that is both being new and the Vulcan carrying less of a price tag. I want the Vulcan, but not having a note is a big incentive.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I owned a '98 1100 ACE, and agree it felt small to me as well. Riding felt more cramped to me than my 900 Classic. Riding position on the 900 is more stretched out. I don't remember if the 1100 power felt any different than the 900.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Just sold my '02 Sabre two weeks ago. The bike was bullet proof and was very easy to drive/steer, great turning, lots of power. When it first came out, Honda billed it as their hot rod cruiser. It has plenty of beans.

Pic of my Sabre:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would make sure it is in very good condition and swap. Make it a legal agreement.

Not having a payment is a great incentive. I think you are getting a good deal.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The shadow line is a solid line of bikes. Vulcan or Sabre I don't think you'll go wrong. You'll be happy with either one, I think.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
The shadow line is a solid line of bikes. Vulcan or Sabre I don't think you'll go wrong. You'll be happy with either one, I think.
+1
Different style of bike, but still an excellent ride.

Rod

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Every time I ride my wife's Shadow, I'm reminded how great it really is. A Shadow Spirit is not the most comfortable bike for -me-, but it's so smooth and easy to ride. And I love the gearbox on that thing. Each shift is a buttery little click into the next gear with zero effort. Both my Vulcan and Victory have always reminded me a little of kicking a box of wrenches.

I'm only rattling on like this because I buzzed the Shadow around the neighborhood yesterday and it always impresses me a little with how smooth and quiet the powertrain is, and how good the factory exhaust sounds. And how easy it starts even tho it had been sitting for 2 months.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ok so i made my decision and decided to trade in my 06 honda shadow spirit for an 08 Vulcan 900 custom. and then i get a text message. a guy wants to discuss trading his 05 shadow 1100 sabre for my 06 750 spirit. We are in the preliminary stages, and i am not sure if i even want the 1100 sabre. i really dig the styling of the vulcan custom and it seems to fit me perfectly. but i would definitely need to consider trading if it means no bike note. does anyone have any advice to give? i have been looking for reviews on the 1100 but did not find much.
I don't know sounds strange , he wants to trade for a smaller bike, better check that bike from head to toe, A year difference and 1100 to 750 Hmm

Have you checked bluebook yet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He gave me a pretty valid reason. That being said I am going the get the vulcan. I test rode one and I love it. Plus I can hold someone accountable if there is an issue with it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
You made a good choice, but I have to agree with alot of the folks here and backup the Honda too. I have a VN900, and my wife has 750 Shadow ACE. I prefer my 9 for the comfort, but I have to give the Honda it's due. It is a 98, and it will run with big bikes all day long (except for the smaller gas tank), and it is super smooth even for being 15 years old. I do get cramped on it after a while, but it is fun to ride.

·
Registered
847 Posts
900 / 1100

I have owned both. The FI on the 900 makes it comparable with the 1100 carb. I think the 900 is better comfort wise etc. It was the gas tank that sold me on the 900. It is over 5 gals. and most others were 4 to 4.5. I looked at the 1600 and 1700 can you believe in 07 they had smaller tanks than the 900? We do a lot of long distance riding, like 1500 -m 2,000 mi. and there are times when a fuel stop is long time coming. Of course there was the Harley Softtail but it's a long way from $8,000 to $18,000.......I don't like debt either but I am unable to make the choice for you it's your baby you will have to rock it....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It was the gas tank that sold me on the 900. It is over 5 gals. and most others were 4 to 4.5.
Me too! However, if you ride with a bunch of guys with smaller tanks, you are still at their mercy with all the stops for refills. Better to ride with other 900s... huh? Just sayin!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Me too! However, if you ride with a bunch of guys with smaller tanks, you are still at their mercy with all the stops for refills. Better to ride with other 900s... huh? Just sayin!
Nah it's still nice then too. The group I ride with has a couple Harley sportsters mixed in. Something like a 1.8 gallon tank. 75-80 miles is all they've got. At 80 they are already on reserve. So about every 75-80 miles we stop, the sportsters and the other smaller-tanked bikes go get guess, and I pull off to the side and stretch and enjoy the sunshine! Take my time and look through the convenience store for a snack and to restock on water. All without making anyone wait on me, haha.

We did do a ride this past Saturday though and all of the Sportsters weren't there. All of OUR sportster riders are wives of other riders who happen to have big-tanked bikes (mostly Ultra Classic Electra Glides). So they rode on the back, instead of riding their own bikes. We rode 170 miles before stopping the first time, and that was for food- not gas! My Vulan, one Triumph, and several Ultra Classics. Was a nice combination for long-distance riding!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That dinky tank is one of the things I don't like about the Shadow. My wife loves to ride, but sometimes on the longer trips through less populated areas, that bike is like a broken leg.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That dinky tank is one of the things I don't like about the Shadow. My wife loves to ride, but sometimes on the longer trips through less populated areas, that bike is like a broken leg.
My wife has a shadow too. It's just shy of 4 gallons. It is fuel injected though, which helps some with the MPG (she'll hit close to 60 most of the time). She can go about 175 miles, figure 150~160 the light comes on. Not sure when it runs out but don't really wanna find out.

It's at least better than those 75 mile max sportsters! But it's not as nice as the 250-275 I can get out of my VN900. (CAN is the operative word. I usually fill up around 225. I get paranoid when the low fuel light comes on, lol, I'd hate to run out on the road...)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts