Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Biker Friends,
I am only alive today by the grace of God and because I was wearing my helmet on April 4th, 2010. I had been cut-off hundreds of times in the past, but was always able to navigate and or brake myself out of danger.

My luck ran out on Easter Sunday when I encountered what I suspect was a drunk driver. I was in a slow turn (in the left lane) going about 50mph and a car in the right lane (going about 20mph) cut hard into my lane. I avoided impact, but the bike got sideways in the turn and the car bumper clipped the back of my bike. The bike (07 Vulcan 2000 LT) and I both went down hard and the driver of the car took off. I was with a group and the third rider to pass this car.

I hit the ground in the "stick em' up position" (hands and head hit first). The impact felt like I was shot out of a cannon into the street. The entire front of my helmet was ripped away and my jacket and gloves were shredded to a nub. The force of the impact was beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

My Injuries Include: my left wrist was shattered in three places (with two lessor breaks), my right wrist was broken, I had two shattered fingers, I lost my front teeth, my knees we "road rashed" down to the bone and my left eye received a tear. If I was not wearing my kevlar jacket, riding gloves, I would have received substantially more injuries. If I was not wearing my helmet, I would be dead.

If you are a rider that does not wear a helmet, I hope my story will at least get you to reconsider wearing protective gear. Thank you for hearing me out and be safe out there!

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Your definitely lucky to be alive. I always a wear helmet when I ride. Even when I go to Delaware and I don't have too. I have a open face helmet I use for short trips and a full face helmet when I'm riding any distance.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
5'r, thanks for the heads up.... not a pun. am glad to hear you survived this. did anybody go after, get the guy who clipped you? witnesses are invaluable and scarce with these accidents. drunk drivers need to be... well shot or hanged on the spot. but we can't do that anymore... cause, I guess we did that too much sometime back.?

helmets, I always wear one even tho my brother likes not to. I have 5 to choose from and prefer a full when I ride alone. away from the harley crowd. I dont care for the shorties anymore, they most like wouldn't do much protection anyway. my 3/4 is ok, but no face protection. so I need to invent some air conditioning for that full head basket. probably some cooling tubes hooked to that wet vest? out, ponch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5'r, thanks for the heads up.... not a pun. am glad to hear you survived this. did anybody go after, get the guy who clipped you? witnesses are invaluable and scarce with these accidents. drunk drivers need to be... well shot or hanged on the spot. but we can't do that anymore... cause, I guess we did that too much sometime back.?

helmets, I always wear one even tho my brother likes not to. I have 5 to choose from and prefer a full when I ride alone. away from the harley crowd. I dont care for the shorties anymore, they most like wouldn't do much protection anyway. my 3/4 is ok, but no face protection. so I need to invent some air conditioning for that full head basket. probably some cooling tubes hooked to that wet vest? out, ponch
While all of the focus was on me laying in the middle of the street, this guy decided to take advantage of the situation and made a quick exit. I got a vehicle description, but no license plate information. There is no way this guy will ever be caught. I am glad to hear that you wear a helmet. I would have my front teeth if a was wearing a full helmet verses the 3/4. This is something I intent to correct prior to my next ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts