Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how new I am since I have ridden bikes for most of my life but I did have a new experience that I hope someone can benefit from my story. I recently bought a used Vn900 that is really a great bike. I have put over 1000 miles on her the last 2 months. Long story short I have not put highway bars on her yet. All was fine until it drizzled a little rain before I left my job. I stopped at a red light and watched the light change and traffic stop, I started across the intersection and apparently found an oily spot with water on it. It threw the bike on my left leg and the bones broke in three places and it dented my tank. I had all my leathers on and my full face helmet so other than a scrape on my knee and a broken leg I am fine. When I put her back together, there will be a highway bar.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Sorry about your unfortunate incident, Rider_otStorm. I'm damn happy to have highway bars on my 2K...and damn happy I have not used 'em (yet?)!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Yeah, big fan of Highway Bars.

I remember years back when everyone called 'em Crash Bars...which of course is what they are. But folks just didn't like the way that sounded.

Glad you and the bike are OK.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lived in this area most of my life, come to think about it, my wife kissed me for the first time within 50 feet of the crash site. There might be something strange going on around this spot!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I want to get bars as soon as $$ allows.Before I had Mr. Spock 2 weeks,I already got some scratches and a bent mirror on the bike,and several dents in my car.

I didn't even drop Mr. Spock tho.I was backing my other bike into the corner of the garage,close beside Mr. Spock,and dropped the other bike onto him,which dominoed him into the car.

The Hondooly was pretty much lying upside down on top of Mr. Spock,which was wedged against the car.

Anyway,that's why I wanna get crash bars,cause I've dropped the Honda many times just putting it in the garage,and come real close to dropping the Vulcan many times already:surprise:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your accident and especially the broken leg. I hope it heals up quick. Highway bars are very good but, a neighbor of mine got clipped by a car headed in the opposite direction. The highway bar wrapped around his foot and crushed it. If he would not have had highway bars, he would "probably" had little to no injuries. This was a freak and unusual accident so I'd still put highway bars on.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Last year I went around a corner on a side street and just as I started into the turn I saw the sand on the road. I almost got the bike stopped before the front wheel went out from under it and it literally just fell over. Thanks to the crash bars and oversized saddlebags, the bike didn't get a scratch and my leg didn't get mashed.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
come on , you ppl are not bikers till you went down with your bike, there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, those who have gone down and those who will, i've gone down but the bike was not moving or barely moving, so my time will come someday, but right now I don't want crash bars, you can be gentle and call them highway bars, but let's be honest, they are for when you crash so call em what they are, crash bars

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
"Crash" bars are almost useless in a crash of any significance. They are more for protecting the bike and rider if you drop it or in slow speed mishaps. I like them because I mount my highway pegs on them and when you're in the saddle for 16 hours being able to stretch out is a big plus. If you get in a wreck going much over 25 MPH, this is what you will likely get:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rider, sorry about you accident. I got a new-to-me bike with highway/crash bars and I was going to remove them. After I dropped the bike and found only a scratch on the bars, I'm keeping them on.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For the Vn750 they are referred to as "engine guard's". They are horizontal and way down low, being attached from side to side. They're not like most that are attached up top and down below, running basically up and down.

But, they are a good place to attach your highway pegs and perhaps they do work since when I dropped the bike a week back nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As a youngster, my father wouldn't let me have a bike without them. On several occasions I was glad he insisted! I have them on all my bikes and yesterday was another example of why they're needed. On my Nomad and was traversing a very short dirt strip from road to parking lot. Had rained and there were 3 or 4 small "puddles". No problem I thought, I'll just weave around them. Guess I got my rear wheel too close to an edge cause it slipped into one of the puddles. Problem: this wasn't a puddle but a hole about 6 to 8 inches deep with steep sides. Rear wheel caught and over I went...right side. Right foot was caught between rear passenger floorboard and the ground. Very painful. Bike stopped at about 45 degrees, resting on the front bar. Was able to pull my foot forward, folding the floorboard and getting free. If I hadn't had bars, the bike would have been laying on its' side, on top of my legs with me facing down. Don't EVEN want to imagine being in that situation. Was able to get my bike up, and eventually continued on my way. Have been limping and soaking my foot since, about twice it's normal size. I'm bruised but not broken or burned.

GET YOURSELF SOME BARS IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM....YOUR LEGS ARE WORTH IT. Sorry Patrick, without my bars this would have been a significant crash....as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts