Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following my electrical saga that happened here:
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/301620-v900c-fi-light-does-not-come-no-start.html

I had to leave home for a few weeks a couple of days after I found and fixed the electrical problem. I got back home and was eager to button it up and let me late riding season start.

I did the valve adjustment while the tank was off.
The exhaust valves needed a thicker shim by 0.003" - 0.004"
Only one intake valve needed anything.

I replaced one hose clamp on a coolant line.

I cleaned the bottom oil screen and I put fresh oil and filter in it.

I put silicone dielectric grease on all of the electrical plugs. If I have to ever separate them again, I do not want them to fight me.

I gave the tank a good inspection. The inside was spotless. The outside has a few paint chips that I am dealing with. I relented and ordered a touch up kit.

However, I am glad I had the tank off and here is something that you should check too while yours is off.

The underside of the tank does not get complete paint coverage under the mounting flanges for the fuel pump assembly, and the fuel gauge assembly.
There was a bit of surface rust all the way around both of them right at the seam.
I dissolved that with ospho (phosphoric acid) and cleaned it with lacquer thinner.
Then I applied some fresh primer and paint with a q-tip all the way around the flange. It will never become a problem now.
I will add a few pictures later to explain it better. Anyway, If you have your tank off, you should inspect that area.

Time for dinner and then a ride.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put new o-rings on the spark plug tubes while they were out.
The chart in the book is a bit overkill for doing the shims. I ended up just using the micrometer or caliper. It was faster and less error prone.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I was talking about regarding the paint coverage on the tank flanges.
I forgot to take a picture at the beginning.
In any case, you can see the rust getting dissolved.

I will never need to worry about it now.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts