Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2022 Vulcan 900 Classic. By and large I’m a new rider since I haven’t had a bike since high school and I’m now over 50. I love my Vulcan but the safety neutral switch at stop lights and stop signs is giving me fits. Many times when I try to take off it pops into neutral and leaves me at the light scrambling to get it into first. Is there a way to remove that switch from the gear box? It’s causing more grief than benefits. Also would you recommend a windshield at the stage? The bike really buzzes when I get it up to 75-80 and the wind hitting my chest feels like it’s going to blow my off the bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Welcome from Manchester, NY. Are you saying you have the tranny in 1st, but when you release the clutch it pops into neutral? Or are you saying you don't realize you're in neutral until you release the clutch. The 'safety switch' has nothing to do with shifting. It simply disables the ignition when you're in gear with the side stand down, or disables the starter when you're in gear with the clutch out. If you're talking about the Positive Neutral Finder, that shouldn't affect downshifting to first at all. It simply blocks you from upshifting past neutral if the bike is stationary. My first impression from reading your post is that you're not getting a firm down shift into 1st. On the road, you should be hitting 1st gear shortly before stopping. If you need to downshift while stopped, you may need to feather the clutch a bit to get into gear completely. You may find that you need to adjust the height of the shifter if you're having difficulty with downshifts.

Stay safe, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there thanks for the reply. I’m not sure when is the best time to down shift. I usually get back down into first while approaching a stop light or sign while I’m holding in the clutch and breaking. A few times today I took off and I was about halfway through the light and I was definitely in first and it popped into neutral. The most common thing is I’ll be at a light and I’m in first because I bump it a little to make sure. I notice the neutral light is off but she. I try to take off the neutral light comes on and I can’t move. So I push it into first. It’s kind of a buzz kill because I just want it to not go into neutral unless I’m out it there but maybe because I’m extremely inexperienced it’s the way I’m riding. I haven’t figured that out yet. Thanks though!!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hi there thanks for the reply. I’m not sure when is the best time to down shift. I usually get back down into first while approaching a stop light or sign while I’m holding in the clutch and breaking. A few times today I took off and I was about halfway through the light and I was definitely in first and it popped into neutral. The most common thing is I’ll be at a light and I’m in first because I bump it a little to make sure. I notice the neutral light is off but she. I try to take off the neutral light comes on and I can’t move. So I push it into first. It’s kind of a buzz kill because I just want it to not go into neutral unless I’m out it there but maybe because I’m extremely inexperienced it’s the way I’m riding. I haven’t figured that out yet. Thanks though!!
OK. Did you buy the bike new? Is it still under warranty? If you're solidly in gear, it shouldn't be popping out of gear. You may want the dealer's mechanic to check it out and make sure you don't have a tranny issue. Aside from the embarrassment, unexpected neutral is very dangerous. Vehicles behind you are not expecting you to slow down. You either need to figure out what you're doing wrong, or what is wrong with the bike.

And here's the stupid question I have to ask: Are you sure you're not accidentally hitting the heel shift and dropping into neutral? At the right rpm, it doesn't take much pressure to move that shifter. If the heel shift is too high, you may be applying pressure as you accelerate without realizing it. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
874 Posts
To make sure first is holding solid.
Find a low traffic back street..get going in first...now start lurching first gear by Jerking the throttle..you want to be at low speed..just at a fast idle

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also wondering what was going on with popping into neutral randomly when I got my Nomad. And then I figured out I was tapping the heel shifter inadvertently. Once I taught myself where to put my foot on the floorboard, the "problem" went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts