Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering....if a hypercharger is worth three hundred plus dollars?we all want our bikes to run better..but just wondering....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hypercharger, BAK, Arlen Big Sucker and This 40 dollar version of the BTK forum all will give you the same performance advantage. Some guys will cut holes into their stock air cleaner as well. However one of the advantages of going to the aftermarket filters is their use of a wash and re-use filter and altering (called Red Neck Mod) the OEM filter housing relys on using the OEM air filter which is 30-40 bucks a pop. It's a slightly better (finer) filter but also restricts air flow a bit for it.

Past that, it's all style. Which one do YOU like the most. I've got the BAK. I got it because a co-worker wanted me to put MrClean stickers on it and printed them off for me. The dude is 71 this year, he kicks butt and I figure I'll do what he tells me. Also, I hadn't seen or thought through the home made one that I have linked. Had I done it OR seen it before I did mine, I would have gone that way and just figured out a cover plate to put the sticker on.

If you like the looks of the Hypercharger, especially the one with the flapping butterflies, go for it. If the money is an issue do as I did. I put a little each paycheck into my Paypal account and before I knew it, there was enough money in there to buy the BAK. I've since used the Paypal account as a Christmas account many times. It's your bike, get the one that makes YOU happy and to heck with the price.

They all will give you the same performance. Once you open up the flow into the throttle body you will find that there is only so much sucking the motor can do through the two 1.25" flush mounted intake tubes.

There is a guy hooking up a blower...... I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Heck no, it's not worth $300, but that's not relevant.

The real question is: are you willing to PAY $300 for it. Kuryakyn is hoping you are.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, the home made unit is basically looking lke the Arlen Ness aftermarket version and that goes for about 200 bucks. But a lot of people don't have the ability to fabricate the parts together for the home brew version and instead are better off buying the ness version.

So, if we take it to extremes and say that there is a big chunk of chrome for the BAK version and the Hypercharger has all those neat flippy floppy stuff and consider the cost for each and add the base (Because WE made it not YOU) price to it, 300 bucks really isn't out of the question. I was listening to a guy on the radio once and his theory is if you can't make 200% after the cost of an item you can't go into business fabricating and selling that object, it's just not worth the effort. 100 bucks of parts and fab on the aircleaners and 200 bucks profit fits right into that.

What else were you going to do with the money? Buy your kids some new shoes???

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Well, the home made unit is basically looking lke the Arlen Ness aftermarket version and that goes for about 200 bucks. But a lot of people don't have the ability to fabricate the parts together for the home brew version and instead are better off buying the ness version.

So, if we take it to extremes and say that there is a big chunk of chrome for the BAK version and the Hypercharger has all those neat flippy floppy stuff and consider the cost for each and add the base (Because WE made it not YOU) price to it, 300 bucks really isn't out of the question. I was listening to a guy on the radio once and his theory is if you can't make 200% after the cost of an item you can't go into business fabricating and selling that object, it's just not worth the effort. 100 bucks of parts and fab on the aircleaners and 200 bucks profit fits right into that.

What else were you going to do with the money? Buy your kids some new shoes???
I thinks hyperchargers are cheaper than kids shoes arn't they.????

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, they LAST longer. Stinking kids and their ever growing feet. I says let em go barefoot. Daddy's got chrome to buy!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sure I say that. You know I actually stopped in the middle of pulling my windshield off yesterday to go up to my grand-daughter who was having a temper tantrum because she didn't want to nap (1 year old) and her parents were frustrated. Walked in, she's crying and holding her hands up for Grandpa and had her picked up, calmed down and asleep in 5 minutes then handed her back to her mom. Oh what a hardline kid hater I am. You should have seen my wife this weekend when Grandma wasn't good enough she had to fall asleep and nap on Grandpa. Oh does that rub my wife the wrong way. We got sumptin special goin on.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I was wondering....if a hypercharger is worth three hundred plus dollars?we all want our bikes to run better..but just wondering....
Try this site , $249 plus 45 bucks if you want the stinger.

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?AccCategoryID=2353&AccCategoryTypeID=0&BikeModelID=5764&ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0&Start=1&orderby=ManufacturerName

I am looking at them as my next investment. If they are properly set up on a dyno tuned bike with a fuel managment system, the hp gain should be noticable...:)

+++ properly tuned means ... base line dyno run done with stock Air
mod put on, dyno run done
bike tuned to the dyno run results
final run done giving HP and Torque results

It is not cheap, how ever there are a bunch of people on this site that have spent a bunch more money for air kits, pipes and fuel managment kits only to have their bikes run like crap. Tuning is an art .. not an expectation.
Good luck. Maurice

·
Registered
113 Posts
only trouble is $300 isn't the true price.
More air in means you need more air out for better performance add $600 for a new exhaust, then add another $300 for a power camander unit to remap your fuel and you are now at $1200 + tax and shipping, and while I can easily install an exhaust and air intake setting the power camander up is beyond me so $75.00 an hour for that. OUCH Have to wait until next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts