Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

When I got my V&H pipes for my 900 SE I asked the guy at the stealership for a price for 'a hypercharger and FI upgrade'. He came back with the prices, and said he wouldn't advise getting the hypercharger as it can be very difficult to set them up with the power commander and so forth and could make riding the bike something of a dissapointment.

I normally put a lot of trust in this guy, so this has surprised me somewhat. So for you guys who have far more knowledge than I; is he right? how hard is it? what are the plusses and minuses? is it honestly worth it?

Thanks in advance for any and all input/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi.....while I can't speak for the 900 I can tell you that my 1500 works much better with the changes that I made. I started with Vance and Hines straight shots and then added a Hyper Charger along with a Techlusion fuel control box. Once everything was installed I took the bike to a dyno and had it tuned. I will tell you that there is a lot of difference in the way the bike works. I'm not going to say that I know more than your trusted friend all I can say is that if you allow an engine to breath better, and then put the proper amount of fuel in and exhaust out how can it not work better?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a 07 900 vulcan with 3 inch hardkrome big striaghts i put a hypercharger and power commander on it and what a differance it made the bike runs great better throttle reponse and more power in the power curve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let me start by saying I have not tried a hypercharger on my 900, but I did have one on my v star 650. It was a pain to get the carb adjusted. As you increase in speed you force more air in and lean out the mixture. when you are moving slower and open up the throttle the mixture is rich. was a real pain in thr rear that I would not try again, but if others have had good luck maybe the fuel injection with a programmer makes a difference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it looks like this mounted on your bike, don't do it. It obviously is not meant for your bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it looks like this mounted on your bike, don't do it. It obviously is not meant for your bike.
This pic makes it look worse than it really is. The Hypercharger ad thunder adaptor as in the pic let more than enough air than this motor can suck.

I have the Hypercharger and PCIII and it works like a treat and looks great. Also the filter is very well protected unlike the Ness and BAK.

I would not hesitate to but another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far. The guy I have spoken to is not a friend, just, I think, sevice manager, of the dealership and he's never done me wrong before, hence my confusion. The fact that he has tried to steer me away from expensive work being done would have to give him some points for honesty wouldn't it?

He did advise to just go with the power commander and a K&N filter, just not the hypercharger, and obviously he'd be quite happy to do it if I wanted him to :)

But what is involved in getting it all together? Why does he think it's such a problem (apart from potentially him being incompetent lol)? What are the potential banana skins of this mod?

The more I think about this the more confused I get :confused::confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
All the filters flow about the same, so it's more about buying what you like the look of and what you can afford.

·
Registered
346 Posts
IIRC, K&N doesn't have an air filter for the 900, unless it's relatively new. I looked for one about a year ago to no avail....

Flash's pic does look disturbing about the fitment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I installed a standard Hypercharger on my 2008 Custom VN900 along with a set of full length Cobra slash cut pipes with baffles. No power commander. My bikes performance was increased by at least 25% with no reliability or drivability problems. I checked both plugs and the bike is not running lean. I can personally assure you that the VN900 is awesome with the standard hypercharger and Cobra pipes with baffles. Don't let others tell you otherwise. Note: I will tell you that if you were to install a PRO-Hypercharger and after market straight pipes without baffles then I would recommend re-mapping your fuel injection. Other than that all else is bunk. I can personally tell you this by experience. I have 7k miles since I modified my VN900 with zero problems........det45 :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts