Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was wondering if the hypercharger for a VN900 would make a noticeable difference in performance + air:fuel. Any advice for this?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So i was wondering if the hypercharger for a VN900 would make a noticeable difference in performance + air:fuel. Any advice for this?
The Hypercharger, or any other free flow air kit, by itself won't make much of a difference. Add a set of well designed pipes and a fuel management module and you should notice a "seat of the pants" improvement in performance.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Sojourner, will this improvement come at a cost in MPG? I love the look of the hypercharger, but don't wish to sacrifice any MPG. Not sure if the fuel management module would keep mpg neutral or would result in a significant loss..... I am a 20,000 mile a year rider, with most of it on highways, so it makes a difference to me in cost......

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Sojourner, will this improvement come at a cost in MPG? I love the look of the hypercharger, but don't wish to sacrifice any MPG. Not sure if the fuel management module would keep mpg neutral or would result in a significant loss..... I am a 20,000 mile a year rider, with most of it on highways, so it makes a difference to me in cost......
With a free flow air kit the bike will probably run a little leaner. However, with the stock exhaust still in place the change would be minimal. Leaner usually means better gas mileage. Too lean means a damaged engine. The ECU doesn't know what's happening in the combustion chamber, only what info it's given by the sensors connected to it and the program it was given. Usually a fuel manager is added in conjunction with free flow intake & free flow exhaust because the bike can now flow more air for each intake stroke. The owner, or tuner, can add more fuel and bring the A/F ratio to where the performance is improved above when it left the factory.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On mine, with the hypercharger, V&H exhaust and a power commander 5, my performance seemed less, the bike missed all of the time, and my mpg went from an avg of 43 to 32. Despite what everyone on these forums will say, I am not convinced that an aftermarket fuel processor is neccessary. I've been running mine for the last year and a half with the stock ecm, and the thing is a rocketship!

But, if you really want the set-up, I'll sell you my hypercharger pro-r and V&H Fuelpak.

·
Registered
851 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 900 custom with a hypercharger, V&H pipes, and a pcv. He had it put on a Dyno machine and a custom map made just for his bike. He had more power off the line, in his mid-range and he was getting about 53-55+ mpg...I have a 900 Classic LT that not stock and i coudn't keep up with him. You can download maps all day for the pc and the bike will not run to it's true potential. If your gonna spend the cash on all three mods, than spend the cash to make sure their working together...you won't be disappointed! good luck and ride safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts