Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey internet people I just about finished my bobber. I need some help unfortunately lol. I bought this 1999 vn800 classic about 4 months ago and I bobbed it out small apes just made it mine. So the problem begins....I rebuilt the carb just cleaned it up changed the gaskets ran great but backfired threw the carb. The previous owner told me it was jetted for the hypercharger which he threw in with the bike. I installed the hypercharger and I am about 3 days from getting road ready. When I went to see if the bike would move understand it's own power it started back firing like crazy and stalled. I've triple checked the carb. I'm not sure what jets are in it yet I should be tearing it apart tomorrow. But as of right now it's not happy and I did warm the bike up before trying to move it. Mods wise it has the hypercharger , new plugs, new wires, new coils, and a set of offbrand pipes with almost no baffles left previous owner drilled them alot lol. I'm wondering what jets to start with and if the bike fire and stalling issue will clear up with the proper jets thank you

·
Registered
331 Posts
Going to be hard to tune with all those mods and no starting point; you will be just shooting in the dark

If my bike (and I have done this on several) go back to ALL original on the carb jets and intake and filter; get it running great then start on your hypercharger--also I'd get rid of that no-name-drilled out exhaust--it's part of the problem

I know you didn't want to hear all this but there is no easy/quick fix

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
backfiring threw the carb is a sign of lean, the stalling is a sign the fuel mixture ratio is wrong, the mixture will not combust properly due to the lean condition, either a lean condition or a rich one will cause the stalling, the pipes is not the problem, the problem is the jets in the carb and also the hypercharger because your air/fuel mixture is not right causing stalling and backfiring thru the carb. those who install hyperchargers have difficulty getting the bike to idle right , you're going to have a hard time finding out which proper jets are needed with that hypercharger installed

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with btom. You need to figure out your jetting/carb. Try the stock airbox with stock jets and see if it runs normally, then decide if you want to mess with the hypercharger or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts