Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm reaching out to see if someone on here can tell me if the hydraulic lash adjusters HT2254 which fits many cars also fits a 2002 nomad 1500, I have a noisy lifter or 2 so looks like motor needs to come out and I read somewhere that this part number fits the vulcan. Here in New Zealand Kawasaki want $220 each and I see you can pick the HT2254 up for around 12 dollars each.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Let me set the stage by saying I know NOTHING about lash adjusters. I found this thread and if you look at post #6 by "Sfair" he mentions the HT2254 lash adjusters and that they can be used. Sfair is a long time member and is considered to be a well versed authority on these engines.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me set the stage by saying I know NOTHING about lash adjusters. I found this thread and if you look at post #6 by "Sfair" he mentions the HT2254 lash adjusters and that they can be used. Sfair is a long time member and is considered to be a well versed authority on these engines.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Thank you for your reply, I had read on here that a person said the HT2254 fits but it was for the VN2000 so I was wondering if they would also fit a 2002 nomad 1500.
thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Should not matter, according to the parts list, 15, 16, 1700 & 2000, all use the same hydraulic lash adjuster.
Part #12025-1053.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi. I'm reaching out to see if someone on here can tell me if the hydraulic lash adjusters HT2254 which fits many cars also fits a 2002 nomad 1500, I have a noisy lifter or 2 so looks like motor needs to come out and I read somewhere that this part number fits the vulcan. Here in New Zealand Kawasaki want $220 each and I see you can pick the HT2254 up for around 12 dollars each.
Hi BusaBoy,
Don't replace your lash adjusters, fix them. I have 05 Vulcan 2000. At 60,000 miles my adjusters started getting noisy. Oil change helped for awhile. Auto parts oil additives helped for awhile. On an 800 mile tour they started making racket almost immediately, I was pissed so just kept driving. When I got back home I removed the HLAs (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters). They had no visible damage. I submerge them in clean oil and worked them using thumbtac pin to allow oil in and out. What comes out of them is pure gunk. I put it all back together, then put another 60,000 miles on it with no more trouble. Then I bought another one,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi BusaBoy,
Don't replace your lash adjusters, fix them. I have 05 Vulcan 2000. At 60,000 miles my adjusters started getting noisy. Oil change helped for awhile. Auto parts oil additives helped for awhile. On an 800 mile tour they started making racket almost immediately, I was pissed so just kept driving. When I got back home I removed the HLAs (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters). They had no visible damage. I submerge them in clean oil and worked them using thumbtac pin to allow oil in and out. What comes out of them is pure gunk. I put it all back together, then put another 60,000 miles on it with no more trouble. Then I bought another one,
Interesting. Did you remove the engine to get access to the HLA's or just 'drop it' down?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, haven't done them yet, trying engine additive to see if that works, if not I think it be engine out as you'd probably have to remove the same amount of stuff to drop it as to remove it, but keen to hear if dropping it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did not remove the engine. I love the forums because everybody adds to the body of knowledge. I was the one that figured out how to get the HLAs outa the rear cylinder with it still in the frame. Do you have a VN2000? If so, I'll try to find my write up on how to do it. It saves messing with the belt drive and wiring. Can't remember if I had to mess with the coolant. Basically, you leave the rear motor mount in, remove the rest and tilt the front of the motor down. There used to be a Rogue Owners Group forum (since the VN2000 doesn't have a proper name, thats what we called it, read about it here How the Rogue Got Its Name – Focus On The Ride). It appears to have gone down years ago. The problem with the HLAs is that they seem to be at an oil 'dead end', they don't appear to have away for gunk to get of them. I think that any debris or moisture simply accumulates till they begin to take up less and less lash. Its a big job changing them, but the again it requires no parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, haven't done them yet, trying engine additive to see if that works, if not I think it be engine out as you'd probably have to remove the same amount of stuff to drop it as to remove it, but keen to hear if dropping it works.
The engine additive that worked fo awhile for me was the really thick Motor Honey type stuff, but the NAPA brand. Unless its a warm day, you have to scoop it out with a spoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not remove the engine. I love the forums because everybody adds to the body of knowledge. I was the one that figured out how to get the HLAs outa the rear cylinder with it still in the frame. Do you have a VN2000? If so, I'll try to find my write up on how to do it. It saves messing with the belt drive and wiring. Can't remember if I had to mess with the coolant. Basically, you leave the rear motor mount in, remove the rest and tilt the front of the motor down. There used to be a Rogue Owners Group forum (since the VN2000 doesn't have a proper name, thats what we called it, read about it here How the Rogue Got Its Name – Focus On The Ride). It appears to have gone down years ago. The problem with the HLAs is that they seem to be at an oil 'dead end', they don't appear to have away for gunk to get of them. I think that any debris or moisture simply accumulates till they begin to take up less and less lash. Its a big job changing them, but the again it requires no parts.
Hi, thank you for your reply, no I have the 2002 nomad 1500, trying engine oil additives but if it persists I'll have to do something over the winter, was just going to remove motor and drop motor into mechanic which will stop alot of labour costs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Several, including myself think it might have something to do with water/moisture. But I would think that any moisture that got into an HLA would also boil out. Still, maybe try a product that removes moisture... maybe Sea Foam? Nomads are very nice... but I'm insecure about my masculinity so I can only ride the biggest bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Several, including myself think it might have something to do with water/moisture. But I would think that any moisture that got into an HLA would also boil out. Still, maybe try a product that removes moisture... maybe Sea Foam? Nomads are very nice... but I'm insecure about my masculinity so I can only ride the biggest bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Thank you. We can't get seafoam here in New Zealand, probably too small a country.
We haven't got many VN2000s over here and they seldom come up for sale
I've had 2 Suzuki m109r but has I get older I need something abit lighter and the 1500 sits nice and low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've not ridden a M109 nor seen many around. I'd like to run against one at the strip for fun.
They are quick off the mark, I've ridden a vn2000 and honestly I dont think it would stand a chance against a 109, pure muscle bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also try Youtube channel 'Farm Project'. The guy is great, scientific, doesn't waste a single word, and does very cool stuff; tests for the best epoxy (old style JB Weld won), best penetrant for rust, best rust removal including home remedies (molasses mixture won, if you can wait 3 weeks), etc... and also does wacko stuff; made a lawn mower cylinder head from JB weld (it worked), tested Slick 50 in motor with no oil (it broke). He does tests on gas and oil additives.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've lightened mine by 75lbs, secondary butterflies removed from Fi, air intake and exhaust mods. The machine shop owner that built my air intake rides an M109 and had no respect for my bike. Then he rode it was was very impressed, bur we never ran them against each other. I live 10 miles from a drag strip, bur no 109s here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just spent a half hour trying to find reputable sources for M's 1.4 mile specs. Other than the forums (my bodies stock Harley went 200 mph on I-5) the only one I could find was Popular Mechanics that listed it as 12.08/110. But typically they just print times from some where else. They have my bike at 13.3/100. But thats in 09 and may have been from a bagger comparison. Most of us Vulcan 2000 people think Kawasaki detuned the motor after a year or two of production. The M makes maybe 8 more HP, 15lbs less torque, but revs 2000 RPM more. My bike with its weight loss may actually weigh less. But I myself have run a best of 12.015/110 at Samoa Drag Strip (NHRA approved). Still, less we get arrogant, the lowly Suzuki SV650 gets down the strip in about the same time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts