Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But luckily not myself or my Vaquero. I was making a U turn when a car made its way into my line of travel, I was able to stop but unfortunately the bike was to far into the lean for me to keep it upright. I gently set it down and somehow dismounted without damaging myself or the bike. The good news is that I now know that I can lift my bike when its down.

PS I did this yesterday and today was the first time I had the Vaquero out in the rain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm glad there wasn't more to your accident.
I "set down" an old Honda I had, a couple times, because of being off balance in a slow turn. Pride always takes a hit there.

Chris

·
Registered
397 Posts
Better hurt pride than hide any day of the week. I'm glad your bike is OK, but far more glad that YOU are OK.

No Vulcans or riders were harmed in the creation of this adventure story... Always a happy ending there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Im glad your ok , this happened to me in a parking lot and no damage. These bikes are protected somwhat. i learned not to stop while turning , every light and stop sign i make sure im straight, these bikes are heavy.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Im glad your ok , this happened to me in a parking lot and no damage. These bikes are protected somwhat. i learned not to stop while turning , every light and stop sign i make sure im straight, these bikes are heavy.
I cannot stress enough the importance of learning the skills of slow speed maneuvering. The DVD "Ride like a pro" is nothing short of incredible for improving these skills. I had been riding daily for about 5 years before I watched the video, so I thought my skill level was pretty decent. Then I watched the video beginning to end, two times in a row. I immediately went out on the bike in the cul de sac on my street to practice what I had just, learned. Within an hour or two, I felt like I had doubled my skills. There are several "basics" that everyone who rides should learn and put into practice. One is to never use your front brake when turning at slow speed. The guy on the video says "if you hit that front brake, it'll drag you to the ground like a magnet". Another basic principle is to look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to hit. He says, "if you're doing a u-turn and you look at the curb, you will hit the curb. The bike goes where your eyes go". If you're going around a curve, look around the curve. One of the most important basic principles to learn is the friction zone. As I said, I can't say how highly I recommend this video.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main problem was the fact that I panicked and stopped while still in the lean, if I would have just straightened up and then stopped I would have been fine. If the guy in the car would have just waited, there would not have been any problems(I did have the right away as he was turning onto the street from a stop sign). But for whatever reason he wanted to go ahead and make his way into my lane in front of me.

I seen the car come to the stop sign as I started the U turn, I assumed he would wait for me to finish the turn before proceeding. As I was making the turn I seen him coming up beside me(peripheral vision) and that's when I stopped otherwise we would have collided. If I had to do it again, I would just wave the cager through, I am never in that much of a hurry that I can't wait a moment to let someone else who is go through.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The main problem was the fact that I panicked and stopped while still in the lean, if I would have just straightened up and then stopped I would have been fine. If the guy in the car would have just waited, there would not have been any problems(I did have the right away as he was turning onto the street from a stop sign). But for whatever reason he wanted to go ahead and make his way into my lane in front of me.

I seen the car come to the stop sign as I started the U turn, I assumed he would wait for me to finish the turn before proceeding. As I was making the turn I seen him coming up beside me(peripheral vision) and that's when I stopped otherwise we would have collided. If I had to do it again, I would just wave the cager through, I am never in that much of a hurry that I can't wait a moment to let someone else who is go through.

The wisest advice I got when getting back in the saddle was, "Ride like you are invisible."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts