Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

There's been LOTS of good info here on handlebar risers for the 900 Custom, but no-one has posted images of the HR2 risers from Refined Cycles (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HR2-Handlebar-Riser-Extensions-Kawasaki-Vulcan-Mean-Streak-VN1500-VN1600-extend-/110769540170?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ca610c4a)

I ended up buying them and really like them and so thought others might be interested in seeing what they look like on the Custom, and hearing about their installation:
1. As advertised, they move the bars BACK a couple of inches, but UP very little (I couldn't notice any rise, in fact).
2. Install was simple -- cover your tank, have a friend help, and you'll be fine!
3. I bent the metal cable-guide "loops" slightly, and moved the front brake line out of the right-side so it wasn't being stretched, but otherwise all cables/wires need no modification.
4. The quality and finish are excellent, and match the bars nicely.
5. The rear end of the risers hang over the back edge of the triple clamp, but IMO look fine anyhow.

If you like the stock seat/bar relationship, but change to a seat that moves you back a little (as my Mustang seat did), then these are a great alternative.

Happy (and comfortable) riding!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
steve, thanks a lot for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered these risers and they just arrived. But they didn't come with any bolts. Do you have any recommendations on what to use?

·
Registered
256 Posts
make sure the bolts are grade 8 and not the every day variety you get from home depot or some hardware store

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bolts

steve, thanks a lot for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered these risers and they just arrived. But they didn't come with any bolts. Do you have any recommendations on what to use?
There was an option to order bolts from them for 3.00. That's what I did, and they worked great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad the info helped! I unfortunately didn't write down the exact size of bolts I bought. I was trying to remember where I reused the original bolts -- I think I used them to attach the risers to the bars. I do remember that I took the original bolts and risers into my local, non-big-box hardware store and found bolts that were of similar quality and size and fit the threads of the risers properly. I then used the new bolts to attach the risers to the triple trees.

·
Registered
63 Posts
make sure the bolts are grade 8 and not the every day variety you get from home depot or some hardware store
Last time I needed bolts I had luck at Lowe's. They carry Grade 8s there. I guess I'll have to take my risers and a stock bolt over there to see what I can do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just make sure the bolts are stainless steel. I made a similar pair of risers out of aluminum. They work well and I also use the scootworks 2" risers with them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How are they for long rides? Any noticeable differences? Basically, is it worth 80-90$?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are they for long rides? Any noticeable differences? Basically, is it worth 80-90$?
With my short arms, I was contracting muscles in my arms slightly because I had to stretch just that little bit to reach the bars. My arms felt tired after 10 min without the risers, but I've ridden a hour or two with them and my arms have felt fine, just because I can relax them.

So, for me at least, the money was worth it -- I can actually enjoy riding the bike now!

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is hard to answer for other bikes and body sizes, but I felt like I was reaching for the bars, and that's not comfortable. I just put 5 hours on in one day, and between the risers and the Mustang seat I felt great at the end. No soreness or stiffness at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This thread is a few months old but do any of you still have those custom 900 OEM handlebars laying around? I would like to get a set.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
All I have is a set of stock classic bars that are on the bike. I'm just looking to replace them with a pair of stock custom bars and thought someone would have a pair laying around not used. If you decide to switch to apes, I would be interested in buying your old ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts