Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been doing some reading and looking, at the V2K. I'm wondering, given its very long wheelbase, how does it handle in tight twisty curves? Where we live, that's about all there is to ride unless we get on the slab, which we prefer to avoid like the plague. I'd just like to read a few comments on the 2000 Vulcan regarding handling, gas mileage, comfort, power, etc. Other considerations include slow speed handling and does it "lose" its weight when you let out the clutch and start rolling? What I want to avoid is a huge monster of a bike that's a fistful in a parking lot or going around corners and curves. I'm used to my GL1800 Gold Wing, so that's all I've got to compare it to. And I do realize that the Vulcan is not a Wing, but then I don't expect it to be. I'd almost consider getting one over the 1700 Nomad if it fits my requirements for what I need in a motorcycle. I'm mostly interested in the Classic LT set up for touring. Thanx in advance for you responses.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have an '06 V2K Classic LT. Some info on me; 5' 8", 190 lbs, 58 years old :eek: I've been riding over 40+ years, averaging 4000 miles a year. Now, as for the V2K, it's different than anything I've ever owned. At first, the bike seems "bulky", but that didn't last too long. Once you become "one" with the beast, the bike handles pretty good for 900+ lbs. The bike corners very well (for a cruiser!) and handles decently, even at low speeds, riding 2 up. The stock seat ( on any Vulcan I've owned!) isn't real comfortable and will need to be replaced if you're going to "tour". My gas mileage averages around 39 mpg, running 60-70 mph. That's with Cobra 2 into 1 pipes and Cobra processor, and K&N air filter. Maneuvering in a parking lot takes some gettng use to the weight, but once you start moving, the weight isn't an issue, even at low speeds. The one area the V2K does excel, and that's TORQUE and HP! Even at 80-90 mph, just twist the throttle and hold on! The V2K, like many Vulcans, can be "noisy"(engine ticks, chirping, etc..), but are very reliable. When I finally decide to stop riding some day, the last bike I'll own will be a V2K! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What he said.

It is a beast in the parking lot.

I'm 5'9" and about 180 and I don't have any trouble with it. I ride 2 up 95% of the time. Once it's rolling it loses the weight.

I spent 4 days riding Cherhala skyway, Blueridge parkway and the dragon and I loved every minute of it. I average over 40 mpg 2 up.

I was actually looking at a 1600 classic when I saw mine sitting in the showroom. I love the classic LT look. Had everything I wanted from a stock bike.
Torque! Great bike. It doesn't handle as good as a wing, but; it handles just fine. Love mine!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I came off a Gold Wing also and the V2K was a bit of a learning experience. I can only add that you must stay on top of the tire air pressure. If they get too low the bike will turn into a water buffalo. Ride the back brake and feather the clutch in the tight spots and you'll be able to make small circles around a garbage can lid.

I don't pay alot of attention to gas mileage anymore. I bought the bike for the power and that equates to lower MPG. The one time I did check it was in planning for an Iron Butt run and I was mapping out gas stops. At 75 MPH I was getting 41 MPG with just me on the bike (215 lbs. with 25 lbs of luggage).

I installed a "BAKUP" driver's backrest right out of the gate and with that addition the stock seat fits my 60 year old a$$ just right. I have sat on some other Vulcans with the glorious Mustang seat and I found them too hard and ungiving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 04 with the usual mods and for the most part I agree with CruzNut6 and Old Bike Guy. I do have a Mustang Seat and love it. Longsest ride on that seat was 4100 miles in 8 days. I still have my a$$. haha

·
Registered
344 Posts
I 2nd OBGuy about the tire pressure. The dealer turned it over to me with about 30% tire pressure. Until I discovered that, I though I had made a terrible mistake - incredibly heavy stearing and unstable. After I fixed the air pressure it was a dream. However it still is a long, heavy bike and does not handle like a 650 sportbike in a parking lot. Not a surprise...

Woody

1 - 6 of 6 Posts