Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I'm new to the 900 world and this bike howls and/or whistles really loudly. My other bikes never did this. That's the best way I can think of to describe the sound. It could even be called a loud whine. It's not the belt. It happens when rolling on the throttle and when I let off the gas. If I pull in the clutch the sound disappears. The transmission? I don't know anyone with a 900 to compare this too.

My question: Is this the normal sound of the beast?

·
Registered
49 Posts
yea my vance and hines slash cuts without baffle fixed that ... i dont have thw howling or whistling but i have the kawi tick and the fuel injection wine. actully just had my bike serviced today and asked my dealer about all the noises and he said its just what kawasaki does. my dealer being a harley/kawi he then tryed to sell me a new fat bob lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the 900 world and this bike howls and/or whistles really loudly. My other bikes never did this. That's the best way I can think of to describe the sound. It could even be called a loud whine. It's not the belt. It happens when rolling on the throttle and when I let off the gas. If I pull in the clutch the sound disappears. The transmission? I don't know anyone with a 900 to compare this too.

My 900 does the same thing an it just started doing this when i roll the throttle in 5th gear it whistles real bad...let the throttle off an cruse it goes away ...It seems to do it ALOT under strain in high gear...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also have howling sound on '07 VN900 classic

I bought this bike 4 months ago, used with only 1500 miles (original??) on it. The howling is fairly low-pitched and occurs at all speeds (except stopped), but does not increase with revs. I cannot isolate the source. A Kawasaki mechanic said he had heard that this noise was endemic to the bike model. I don't think it's the stator (not at, now, 2K miles?). Any other ideas? Mike G.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi

Straight cut gears will always howl/whine when applying power. It's the nature of the design. I'll have to listen to mine when I let off the throttle next time I ride. Hope I can hear it over my Cobras.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Howling and Whistling Noise

My 2013 Kawasaki 900 does the same thing when cruising between 50 and 65 mph. My dealer has been working with Kawasaki for almost 3 months to correct the problem. So far they have replaced the clutch pack and primary drive gear with no success. My dealer suggested louder pipes to mask the problem. I'm not willing to spend money to eliminate their problem. My bike has been at the dealer for three weeks and I refuse to pick it up until they resolve the issue.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I bought this bike 4 months ago, used with only 1500 miles (original??) on it. The howling is fairly low-pitched and occurs at all speeds (except stopped), but does not increase with revs. I cannot isolate the source. A Kawasaki mechanic said he had heard that this noise was endemic to the bike model. I don't think it's the stator (not at, now, 2K miles?). Any other ideas? Mike G.
If you are worried about it, check the stator information thread and do the checks. The sound is not the diagnostic test tool for a stator failure; a multimeter is!

These are noisy bikes. Mine ticks, whirls, howls, barks, you name it. Louder bikes and going faster. That's what I suggest.

And yes, anything can fail at any point. Not common at 2k, but, it can happen! My wifes bike had an internally shorted battery with 1,500 miles after just a couple of months (bought new). My mom had a Honda Accord, known for reliability, that had the engine blow with just a few thousand miles! (After teardown they determined some lubrication process from the factory wasn't done.) It can happen! Always best to test and know than guess!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A Kawasaki mechanic said he had heard that this noise was endemic to the bike model
This is true for a lot of the noise however for the 2007 9's, only a matter of time before stator will need to be replaced. Mine had 1700 miles on it when I bought it and around 9000 the stator went bad. Some guys get a little more mileage but it something to be aware of.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't know how much you have ridden, if this is your first bike or not. But all engines are noisy, just most people are used to hearing them from the inside of their car. All of these Kaw engines and trans tick, tank, clunk, clank, whine, hum, howl, or what ever want to call it.

It's hard for us to get an idea with out hearing it. But like what most have said the stator is a weak point on these bikes and if you look on here long enough you will find some video clips of a failing stator on here. But normally you get the sound whether you are sitting still or moving. But like romans said, the sound is not a diagnostic tool but a multi-meter will tell ya.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you are worried about it, check the stator information thread and do the checks. The sound is not the diagnostic test tool for a stator failure; a multimeter is!

These are noisy bikes. Mine ticks, whirls, howls, barks, you name it. Louder bikes and going faster. That's what I suggest.

And yes, anything can fail at any point. Not common at 2k, but, it can happen! My wifes bike had an internally shorted battery with 1,500 miles after just a couple of months (bought new). My mom had a Honda Accord, known for reliability, that had the engine blow with just a few thousand miles! (After teardown they determined some lubrication process from the factory wasn't done.) It can happen! Always best to test and know than guess!
What he said...if its ok, Ride On!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts