Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How well does your 900 coast? use my info as guide

• My 900 coasts very well, speed bleeding off very slowly

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • My 900 coasts as bad as yours does, very poorly.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don't know, I've always got the throttle wide open!

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I don't own a 900, just show me the poll results.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 900 for 2 years and I've always been disappointed in the inherent drag that seems to be in the bike. Speed will bleed off very quickly, if I pull in the clutch and release the throttle. It's not a gradual slow down, you can immediately see a very noticeable drop in speed that only worsens as time passes.

Now, it's been over thirty years since my last bike, so I don't really remember how it did with coasting, but I tend to believe that it did much better than this Vulcan.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about disengaging the clutch and releasing the throttle to allow the bike to move without power or brakes or engine braking. ( ie to let the bike coast to an eventual stop )

My 2003 Buick Le Sabre will barely drop speed at all, even if left in gear, when I let off the gas. Seems to me that the bike should do the same. (meaning that the bike should coast well when it isn't in gear)

So, is my bike normal or not?

For those responding to the poll, could you identify the major items concerning your bike, ie Custom, Classic, year, windshield, fairing, no windshied, etc.

Sorry if my wording has confused anyone.

thanks

Kerry

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
At low/city speeds mine seems normal. At highway speeds it doesn't coast worth a hoot. I always just assumed it was because of the big speedbrake I have on the front. 2009 Classic with MS batwing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I read this before i left for work this Morning so I tried it out. Seems to coast pretty darn good to me I didn't notice any drag feeling at all. I did it at 30mph, and then about 45-50 on the main road. Once I pulled in the clutch and the engine settled smooth as silk coasted like I was on ice. No drag at all. spped slowly crept down.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't Coast your bike. There are a multitude of reasons for this, of which, I can't name one....lol.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Previous bike was honda 750 with shaft drive... it did not like to coast.

This one coasts much better. Never had a chain drive but I imagine they coast a little better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 900 gets great gas mileage so I'm guessing it coasts as well as or better than other bikes. Mine coasts as well as I expect considering I have the Kawi windshield which is like a sail up front.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The folks I ride with coast to decel a lot (i.e. engine break, couldn't tell ya why), but I know that when I try to coast as well, I'm usually catching up with them faster than is comfortable. Most of 'em are HD, so it's not a difference in RPM. *shrug* With the clutch in, well... that's when I can make adjustments with my throttle hand and not worry that the goon behind me is gonna slam me. I don't worry or pucker in the least. With that in mind, and the fact that it doesn't slow down any quicker than I expect, I cast my vote for "coasts well".

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Mine doesn't coast "very poor;y" but the speed does bleed off rather fast. I actually like this in the bike. My 500 did the same thing. Roll of the throttle and she would stop in minutes. Just extends the life of the brakes imo.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 900 gets great gas mileage so I'm guessing it coasts as well as or better than other bikes. Mine coasts as well as I expect considering I have the Kawi windshield which is like a sail up front.
Well, this is one of the things that prompted my post. I keep seeing guys say that their 900 gets 50 mpg. My bike has always been at 40 or so, usually under. But, you see a lot of contention about gas mileage, so I'm wondering if there are significant differences in the bike's drag or coasting efficiency.

The more drag, the worse the gas mileage and vice versa. Plus, the more drag, the less performance you have. IMO, it shouldn't be a whole lot different than a bicycle or even my car. The wheels should turn freely and not bleed off speed quickly while coasting or induce drag while the engine is pulling.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I wish I could figure this out....

Kerry

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine doesn't coast "very poor;y" but the speed does bleed off rather fast. I actually like this in the bike. My 500 did the same thing. Roll of the throttle and she would stop in minutes. Just extends the life of the brakes imo.
Are you disengaging the clutch completely at the same time?

thanks

Kerry

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Well, this is one of the things that prompted my post. I keep seeing guys say that their 900 gets 50 mpg. My bike has always been at 40 or so, usually under. But, you see a lot of contention about gas mileage, so I'm wondering if there are significant differences in the bike's drag or coasting efficiency.

The more drag, the worse the gas mileage and vice versa. Plus, the more drag, the less performance you have. IMO, it shouldn't be a whole lot different than a bicycle or even my car. The wheels should turn freely and not bleed off speed quickly while coasting or induce drag while the engine is pulling.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I wish I could figure this out....

Kerry

DEFINITELY odd that you're so far below the mpg average. I'm a harder rider than most, as in I'm a bit heavier (250 + gear), don't baby the throttle, and have a 2-up shield on the front, and I've never been below 43-44 mpg. When riding with conservative riding type folks, I've gotten as high as 53. Maybe there IS some sort of drag you've got going on? I'm interested in hearing the results of any check-up you have on the bike now.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think several folks are misinterpreting your "coasting" post. You are talking about hauling the clutch in and coasting?

Btw Kerry, I average 40mpg.....and that is optimistic. I always wondered HOW people claim 50 and higher as well. (not that I am doubting them in any way)....but in a 5.4 ?gallon tank.......that would mean 270 miles to the tank? I get 270 alright.....kilometers...lol....162 miles per tank.....which is a miserable 30mpg...generally speaking.....I usually don't pay attention....but, lately I've been doing some math, and the results aren't encouraging...lol.

Today, keeping your post in mind....I hauled in the clutch and coasted.....very little drag, I was surprised. I know this isn't easy on the bike though, so I didn't do it for long. In the manual it actually covers coasting, and says, don't do it (paraphrased).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think several folks are misinterpreting your "coasting" post. You are talking about hauling the clutch in and coasting?
Well, it would appear that some may have misinterpreted the word coasting, but this is what I said in my first paragraph. "Speed will bleed off very quickly, if I pull in the clutch and release the throttle."

So, yes, I'm talking about disengaging the clutch and coasting. :D

I'll go back and clarify it the first post.

Kerry

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw Kerry, I average 40mpg.....and that is optimistic. I always wondered HOW people claim 50 and higher as well. (not that I am doubting them in any way)....but in a 5.4 ?gallon tank.......that would mean 270 miles to the tank? I get 270 alright.....kilometers...lol....162 miles per tank.....which is a miserable 30mpg...generally speaking.....I usually don't pay attention....but, lately I've been doing some math, and the results aren't encouraging...lol.
I am not surprised at your mpg average. I've seen many posts indicating the same thing. Too many variables for the rider style, but other things like windshield, bags and anything else that causes drag would result in lower mpg average than those bikes like a stock Custom that has nothing of significance to induce drag.

Today, keeping your post in mind....I hauled in the clutch and coasted.....very little drag, I was surprised. I know this isn't easy on the bike though, so I didn't do it for long. In the manual it actually covers coasting, and says, don't do it (paraphrased).
My manuals, service and owner's, only state not to coast with the engine turned off. That is apparently due to possible harm to catalytic converter from excessive unburned fuel being passed into it. That's not what I'm doing. I do not turn off the engine to coast, so there's no problem.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Kerry, I knew what you meant by coasting....I was just gently pointing out to others what u meant...

There is something about re-engaging the clutch plates while coasting at speed that isn't good for the bike..some that are into "hyper-driving"...or whatever they call it..(where u get the optimum mpg) suggest it's actually better to find the "neutral" between the gears rather that disengaging the clutch.now, that would be tricky...lol. I always gear down and engine break....outta habit...saves the brakes. I actually use the brake very little.
As to your op.....my bike had very little drag with the clutch disengaged. It "coasted" quite freely in fact....I had A LOT of tire noise which surprised me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have a way to jack your bike up, spin each tire by hand and see if maybe your brake pads might be dragging a bit on the rotors................also, check wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you have a way to jack your bike up, spin each tire by hand and see if maybe your brake pads might be dragging a bit on the rotors................also, check wheel bearings.
Agreed, belt tension and front shaft bearing could also be culprits....(and, tire pressure!)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the tips, guys. I didn't want to go into full blown trouble shooting mode yet. I wanted to get the feedback from the poll, to see how widespread the issue may be. So far, the poll numbers don't indicate that it's a problem specific to my bike. It may not be a problem at all. IOW, it may be that the different tolerances of assembly result in poor coasting capability. Dunno.... Not enough information....

The bike has done this since day one, mile one. Now it has over 10k miles. Isn't it likely that bad bearings or brake pads/rotors would have burned up by now?

thanks

Kerry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts