Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a good idea for each model Vulcan forum to have a sub-forum for How-To's. This would be were readers and bloggers can write up and post their own how-to's for projects. Something as simple as removing a seat or gas tank, to more in depth modification projects. The how-to's would be step by step, and include diagrams and pictures made by the writer. This would not only help beginners get started, but would also allow more experienced Vulcan enthusiasts share their knowledge and experiences with the rest of the Vulcan community. I, for one, will be working on my own how-to, for removing and taking apart the carburetor from my Vulcan 500, for Jmak, a fellow 500 owner. My post could show the format that might work for future how-to's. Please take my request into consideration. Thank you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sticky's are basically threads that stay at the top of each forum correct? I think that if each How-to were to be made a sticky.. then it would get pretty cluttered if you get a number of how-to's. My initial thought was a sub-forum.. a folder that would contain all of the how-to's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Way to go Metallhed. This will work and give some valuable information and pictures. Nothing is too basic to include. Experienced bikers may think something is easy but if it has not been done by someone else it is not that easy. I took my seat lock off. It took a while and was pretty easy after I did it twice, once to remove the lock put it back together to ride and then do it again to put the lock back after a locksmith re keyed it for me. Jmak

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How to is posted in the 500 folder. Let me have some feedback on what everyone thinks about it! Constructive criticism is welcome!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Leinenkugel - there I think I spelled it correctly? Metallhed, your directions and pictures were very good esp the one with the beer... Now let's see if your bike runs better...here is hoping it will. Jmak

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is a good idea. I would recommend the how-to be up at the top of the page, almost like how the monthly bike contest works.....this way we do not have to search for everything.

I would really dig the pics and easy how to's since I do better wtih pics and help instead of the encyclopedia writing style of some repair manuals.

Oh....which repair kit comes with a beer? Just need to know :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya!! I was so excited. Parts came today and I rushed there, grabbed 'em, and put em in. It started right up. I let it warm up for a minute on full choke..then the moment of truth. I pushed in the choke and it settled down to a smooth, steady idle. It was awesome. I just love it when I work on stuff by myself and actually fix something. Great feeling. I took it for a spin and I almost fell off the back of the bike when I opened it up. I was taken by the power of that bike. Before it was choking for gas so it was really bogged down..and thats what I was used to. Now..wow. Just great. Thanks for asking Jmak. Did you tackle the carbs yet?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Metallhed,

No carbs yet but it sounds like something to do. There is a WEB -Indpls located company Cycle Re Cycle and they have an article about balancing the carbs...something that you may do next if you did not do already? It sound like you gained a lot of power. The 500 I have does not seem to have much so I will have to tear into the carbs. I think my 1991 EN500 is not a CV carb but am not sure. I will need to purchase, at least the same items you did....Way to go on doing it right! You did more than well... Jmak

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think the idea is great and also like it as a sub-forum. When those "stickies" start to pile up is a pain in the @ss you end up with one page of stickies before you get to actual threads.. Anohter posibility would be to have a How-To sub forum and make sure every title identifies what bike is for, ie " How-To: 900 Custom - Debaffle".

Just another idea. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jmak, I haven't done the carb balancing. Will look into that though. Ya I gained A LOT of power. I had read up on the 500 before I bought it and also talked to a buddy who had an '02, and everyone said they pack a lot of power for a 500 and I'd have no trouble doing highway speed. When I got it running and driving (this was before I knew the jets were bad), I was disappointed in how bogged down it seemed.. THEN I figured out about the jets and realized that's what the reason for the sluggish engine was.. I had to give it a decent amount of throttle taking it off then, and the first time I took it out after replacing the jets I did the same thing with the throttle..except this time, I almost fell off the back. It took off and before I knew it I was doing 55-60 within seconds..and I must say..it was awesome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Metallhed,

From running my 500, and the results you achieved, I am sure my carbs need the same thing. As I mentioned in another post, I had the pettcock replaced along with some gas lines. A few times when I hit the throttle, it really took off from the usual. It is now back to the usual and I am guessing that the jets became cleaned for a few minutes and then got messed up again. I need to read your How to...post again. I don't recall if you had a list of parts you got and where you picked them up and the cost. Thanks again for your work and how much better your bike runs. Jmak

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go to the dealer and just explain to them what you're doing. Give them your model and year and they will be able to look up and order the parts. I paid 40 bucks for two Idle jets and two Main jets. Here's a link to the how-to:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2328

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you mods, admins, and supporters of the How-To idea for implementing the request. Hopefully we'll get some good ones in there! :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts