Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, January 2015
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advise on how to use a Snap-On spark plug tap on a cross-threaded rear cylinder plug hole? I understand the concept (grease it up and go slow), but there is no room to hold the tap with both hands and a ratchet. I was told to turn the tap backwards to feel the threads engage as they drop down in the thread track, but there is no room for anything but the ratchet and forward movement. I can't even tell if I'm going in straight or crooked. There is so little room to even see what I'm doing. I'm thinking of drilling a 1/2" hole in the frame to access from the top and use a back tap.

Is that a bad idea?? Does a small hole in the top of the frame (completely through) cause a problem with the frame strength? I could get the top part re-welded. I am not taking the engine out!!! Not in this small house and no monkeys are touching my bike for a $1,200.00 re-build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I live in Tucson) Yeah!!! Monkeys!!!! All of them!!!:rolleyes::confused:

Help please!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
tap

When I did mine, I had the tank off. Used a ratcheting wrench in one hand, reached through the other side with my finders and did it that way. Slow and easey does it. If you didn't live so far away, I would help you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If done carefully, paying close attention to wires cable and lines, you MIGHT be able to slide a jack under the bike and loosen the side frame tubes from the backbone and slightly lift the enitire top portion of the frame up. Tank OFF of course. I have never done this so I do not know for a fact that it will work, but when I changed my plugs, i made it a point to remember to look into doing this when i change them again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts