Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought an 800 classic. Loving it so far. It's the first cruiser that I've owned. Used to ride a sport bike. Have rented a Harley fatboy in the past.

My question is this:

The lean angle on this bike is, obviously, much less than that on a sport bike. I'm very worried about scraping the pegs or worse on a corner and am not sure how to learn "how far is far enough" when leaning.

So, is there an exercise or something I can do to help me to learn how far over I can lean safely without injuring myself or my bike?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
So, I just bought an 800 classic. Loving it so far. It's the first cruiser that I've owned. Used to ride a sport bike. Have rented a Harley fatboy in the past.

My question is this:

The lean angle on this bike is, obviously, much less than that on a sport bike. I'm very worried about scraping the pegs or worse on a corner and am not sure how to learn "how far is far enough" when leaning.

So, is there an exercise or something I can do to help me to learn how far over I can lean safely without injuring myself or my bike?
MOST pegs or footboards are hinged and spring loaded.
My Voyager has a metal "lean indicator" on the bottom of the board. I know that I am at the lean limit of the bike when I start scraping the footboard.

I would guess you can drag your pegs on that 800 if it's stock.
But, you should know that some aftermarket pipes can drag before the boards, and if it has been lowered in the rear but not the front it can cause issues too.

I'm sure someone with an 800 will chime in with more info.

Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MOST pegs or footboards are hinged and spring loaded.
My Voyager has a metal "lean indicator" on the bottom of the board. I know that I am at the lean limit of the bike when I start scraping the footboard.

I would guess you can drag your pegs on that 800 if it's stock.
But, you should know that some aftermarket pipes can drag before the boards, and if it has been lowered in the rear but not the front it can cause issues too.

I'm sure someone with an 800 will chime in with more info.

Scott
Thanks for the reply. Just as a point of clarification for other responders... this bike has floorboards installed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just as a point of clarification for other responders... this bike has floorboards installed.

Do the floorboards have feelers? My vaquero does and the pegs on my 900 did. It's really just something you grow into. If you have the feelers you'll know right away when you hit them, and that indicates your limit lol

But yeah, I do think it's something you just have to feel out with experience on your cruiser.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the floorboards have feelers? My vaquero does and the pegs on my 900 did. It's really just something you grow into. If you have the feelers you'll know right away when you hit them, and that indicates your limit lol

But yeah, I do think it's something you just have to feel out with experience on your cruiser.
Oh feelers would be awesome. I wonder if that's something I can rig temporarily. (No, they do not currently have feelers.) Like what if I took some thin springs and just taped them on there temporarily then rode in circles in a parking lot until I got the feel for it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I started riding again on a Suzuki DR650 dual sport and when I upgraded to the Vulcan 800 I was seriously scraping at every turn. I figured it out by finding a big parking lot and rode lots of circles at various speeds until I got the feel.

There are times I miss the lean angles but I have got used to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
340 Posts
Take a couple laps around a "cloverleaf exit system", do all 4 ramps 2 or 3 times each.
Start out slow and work your way up a bit
You'll get the speed and lean angle down pat.

·
Registered
574 Posts
What are feelers ? Does my 2011 Nomad have um ?

I've dragged my floorboards a couple of times and all I noticed was a scraping sound and I could feel the floorboard rise up under my foot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You evetually just get used to it. Goto a big parking lot and practice there, you don't want to practice while going too fast because things can go bad... You don't wanna scrape and eat it !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pick as flat and bump-free parking lot as you can. If the tarmac is pulling up and puckering from heat and neglect you're probably gonna catch one of them and pull the bike one direction or the other. Church parking lots are a great place to practice because they're usually flat and level and are unused through most of the week.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
As an add; once you figure out the lean angle; try and shoot for cornering a little 'less' than that. Once you're scraping parts, that's as far ahs she'll go. If a corner surprises you, it's nice to have a little more to go.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This has me thinking... I might go out and find one of these parking lots myself and run some of those MSF exercises to relearn my bike a bit. New handlebars are awesome, but having to relearn leaning and turning. I haven't ever scraped the boards on mine. Need to probably do that too just to get a feel for the limit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is a great question being that I'm just learning to ride myself.....
So is this what are on my foot pegs that look like grease fittings (bleeders)
I have an 800 also and I was wondering why they where on there. I hope we are talking about the same Feelers...

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I took the MSF class, they used Kawa Eliminator 125 bikes. I was scraping the floorboards all over that course on the little bike! It was a blast to ride at low speeds on the course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With sport bike experience, you know all about chicken strips. Having only recently purchased the Beast, and it being dam near 2X bigger than anything I have had before, I've been in learning mode too. Last time out I took it as far over as I was 100% comfortable with through some twisties and looked at the wear lines. It looks like I can further if I have too.

The only way to know the limit for sure is to exceed it that one time...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've been scraping the indicators off. Mine are about half worn away.

I kinda enjoy the lean and sound. But a couple of weeks ago and again yesterday.
I leaned it hard enough that I think I almost un-weighted the rear wheel.
The speed and path of the bike seemed altered.
I've looked at the underside for damage; but can't identify anything that looks like a problem.

I guess I need to back off and ride this thing like a cruiser.:(

Scott

·
Registered
578 Posts
Lee, I don't think your tires will ever see the pavement on that last 1.5". There is very little angle left from floor board until the frame touches.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Lee, I don't think your tires will ever see the pavement on that last 1.5". There is very little angle left from floor board until the frame touches.
]
David,
Did you feel a difference in the bike when you shaved that bracket?

I think everyone's seen the pics of the guy throwing sparks from his frame before he goes head over heels.
I wasn't too worried about leaning over that far as long as I didn't push it when I hit the indicators. But, now I'm not sure.

Scott

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have touched it once, you can definitely feel the difference. Previous owner did most of the bracket 'clearancing'. I drag the boards every day on my way to and from work, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Joe "The Motorman" talks about scraping the floorboards in his videos and does it ALOT in his demonstrations. It's good to scrape them in a controlled (slow) environment so that when it happens on the road, you'll know how it feels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts