Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a windshield to my 900 Custom (Memphis Shades Big Shot)....and Yikes - the buffeting is worse than riding without any windshield at all. Other than sending me to the many threads on how to build my own home made lowers... does anyone have any suggestions on how to simply test to see if adding lowers would even help?

I don't want to go through all the effort of building (or buying) a set just to find out its not going to help at all. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
When riding, put your left arm horizontal about chest level. This will stop the updraft. If the buffeting is diminished then lowers will help.

Also consider changing helmets. I went from a full face to half helmet. Huge difference. Then I made lowers. Much better now but buffeting still present. Fair trade though for long trip comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When riding, put your left arm horizontal about chest level. This will stop the updraft. If the buffeting is diminished then lowers will help.

Also consider changing helmets. I went from a full face to half helmet. Huge difference. Then I made lowers. Much better now but buffeting still present. Fair trade though for long trip comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1

Or, you could put a hand over the gap between the windshield and the fuel tank on either the left or ride side. Either test will show that wind coming up over the tank is the cause of the buffeting.

I suspect you'll find what we all found; that this was the culprit!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I bought Memphis Shades lowers to go with my big shot and discovered that the air is coming from lower than I could extend the lowers. Without the shock covers you're limited to where you can mount the brackets. My current theory is that the forward controls put my legs at an angle that deflects with up under the bars off my shins. I haven't seen anything that mounts low enough to help, and if I did find something, I don't think it look right. But I don't really experience head buffeting, I get a breeze in my face that bothers me only below 50 degrees.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I just added a windshield to my 900 Custom (Memphis Shades Big Shot)....and Yikes - the buffeting is worse than riding without any windshield at all. Other than sending me to the many threads on how to build my own home made lowers... does anyone have any suggestions on how to simply test to see if adding lowers would even help?

I don't want to go through all the effort of building (or buying) a set just to find out its not going to help at all. Thanks
Building the homemade lowers cost about $20 or less and only took a few minutes. It is well worth it.

Rod

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's the way I tested the effects of adding lowers - I placed my boots on top of the highway bars in approximate location of where the lowers would go. That convinced me! Homemade lowers - $15 - less buffeting - Priceless !:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought Memphis Shades lowers to go with my big shot and discovered that the air is coming from lower than I could extend the lowers. Without the shock covers you're limited to where you can mount the brackets. My current theory is that the forward controls put my legs at an angle that deflects with up under the bars off my shins. I haven't seen anything that mounts low enough to help, and if I did find something, I don't think it look right. But I don't really experience head buffeting, I get a breeze in my face that bothers me only below 50 degrees.
+1!

I have a Custom also (with MS batwing). I have the buffeting, and the MS lowers didn't look like they'd go low enough -- interesting that someone else confirms this too. I've also done the "hand test" and can tell that 1) air is definitely coming up and over the gas tank and 2) the buffeting I get comes in part from turbulence in the air flowing over the fairing -- I can put my hand in my line of sight and about halfway between my head and the upper fairing lip and the air flow is smooth, but by the time the air gets to my helmet the flow is turbulent.

I agree with SteveJB's idea that the forward leg position makes this problem even worse, by having the wind ride up the front of my legs. If I bend my legs so that my feet are back on the passenger pegs (yes, I've got short legs :), the buffeting is reduced greatly, though not 100%.

I'm considering trying a Laminar Lip (http://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php) to see if it helps -- has anyone tried this? MS now sells a similar product (http://www.memphisshades.com/fats-booster-wing) for the top and/or sides of their Fats and Slim tombstone fairings, but I called them and they don't yet have one for their batwing.

I'm jealous of you all with Classic's who can mount homemade lowers to the fork covers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... I eventually kept adjusting the rake/angle of the windshield to reduce the buffeting as much as possible. Turns out that a lower more swept back angle gives less buffeting, but I get more straight on wind in the face.

I then rolled up a high density foam yoga mat (the wife wasn't using it), and zip tied it like an "air dam" between the windshield bottom mounts and the gas tank to block all air coming up from the bottom... no buffeting at all. So I know that the lowers should help, I just need to figure out how to cleanly do it on the Custom.

·
Registered
273 Posts
buffeting

I built my home made lowers early on and took them for granted. It was cold here in Michigan so I brought out the old full face helmet with the face shield on it. All of a sudden the buffeting came back. Went back to the half helmet with no shield and no buffeting. Not sure why the face shield would do it?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I built my home made lowers early on and took them for granted. It was cold here in Michigan so I brought out the old full face helmet with the face shield on it. All of a sudden the buffeting came back. Went back to the half helmet with no shield and no buffeting. Not sure why the face shield would do it?
It's not the faceshield but rather the whole helmet. More helmet surface area, more for the wind to grab and yank around!

·
Registered
273 Posts
buffeting

That makes sense. It wasn't yanking it around, but it def. made noise and slight pushing up on the helmet. Was quite a bit warmer though.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That makes sense. It wasn't yanking it around, but it def. made noise and slight pushing up on the helmet. Was quite a bit warmer though.
Well ya get what I mean :p

It's all in aerodynamics. It's a big, smooth surface for that turbulent air to affect! That, and the fact that most full face helmets are designed for that leaned-forward sportbike profile. I mean that's the market. Not a lot of cruiser guys even OWN a full face helmet let alone ever wear one. Yet it's a staple of the sportbike guys! Heck, even the 'pink panty rider' who rode around in nothing but a pair of ladies underwear (barefoot, too!) around St.Louis was wearing a full face helmet.

I did talk to one sportbike guy in gym shorts and no shirt and flip flops, and a full face helmet. I couldn't take it anymore so I asked; what's up with sportbike riders ONLY wearing fullface helmets, including riders who dress like they are invincible? He told me he tried a half helmet, but he gets tons of buffeting with it when leaned forward and a ton of pressure with it. Go figure! Aerodynamics is a funny thing. (BTW; I'm not knocking anyones choices when it comes to safety, just saying it's a really weird combination I see during the summertime. Guy looks like he's riding in what he sleeps in, BUT has a high dollar full face with graphics!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts