Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When I bought my used 09 Classic, I liked the idea it having loud pipes. However, as the days have gone by, the loudness is getting me. Also, I am kinda concerned about the noise level when I get off work at night. I live in an apartment complex and sometimes I get home after 4am. I try to keep the noise down by cruising at 10 MPH, but I feel it is still too loud.

I am uncertain who makes the pipes. I have a feeling they are Hard Krome brand. I can't find a name on them anywhere. I don't how much of a difference baffles would make. I am almost tempted to trade them for a set of debaffled stock pipes. No one has complained yet, but I'm certain they hate me for the noise.

Any ideas about this? Thanks!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think you need to know what pipes you have. Post a good pic of them. Someone here could probably identify them. Most exhaust manufactures make a quite baffle. Which will reduce the noise level some. You also have the smart partz baffles. They say 3 to 10 db"s If that helps you.

Remember the bike is louder to you while you are on it. It might not be that bad 20 feet away. Ask a person in the building if it bother them if you are concerned about it. Get a buddy to ride your bike away while you listen to see how loud it is.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you need to know what pipes you have. Post a good pic of them. Someone here could probably identify them. Most exhaust manufactures make a quite baffle. Which will reduce the noise level some. You also have the smart partz baffles. They say 3 to 10 db"s If that helps you.

Remember the bike is louder to you while you are on it. It might not be that bad 20 feet away. Ask a person in the building if it bother them if you are concerned about it. Get a buddy to ride your bike away while you listen to see how loud it is.
I know it's loud to everyone around me. If I am cruising in traffic, I always have ppl trying to race around me regardless if the traffic is heavy or light.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, those look like Hard Krome pipes to me. I had the same set of pipes on my 900, and though there were a bit shorter, they looked identical. To confirm, look down your pipes, and you should see these spiral baffles. If you don't see them, then you either don't have Hard Krome pipes or they've been removed. Since removal is very, very difficult (if not impossible), I would suggest the former. But if you see them -- congratulations, you have Hard Kromes.

I would buy the Smart-Partz Hard Kore baffles. I added them to my Hard Kromes for the same reason you would (too loud), and they cut the sound by about 20 to 25%. Not so much at idle, but when the exhaust is actually being pushed out, it's a notable difference. Very easy installation as well.

Here is a review I wrote about them back in 2010:

I recently installed a set of Smartpartz Hard-Kore baffles. My aftermarket pipes were louder than I cared for, the helmet-filling drone becoming a bit much, especially on longer rides. I came across mention of these baffles at this site (and elsewhere), and am very glad I did. In my research on them, though, I didn’t find a very complete review – typically more just passing mentions of them – so I thought I’d remedy that by writing a short one myself. Hopefully this’ll come in handy for anyone considering these baffles.

I ordered from Smartpartz’ website at http://www.smartpartz.com/. They were sent immediately via Priority Mail in a secure, nicely-packaged cardboard box; I received them two or three days after placing my order.

They were installed in a set of Hard-Krome 2.5” Strippers on a ’08 Vulcan 900 Custom. The installation and subsequent effectiveness on other bikes and pipes will inevitably vary, so I can only speak to my experience. They fit in my HK pipes very snugly and slid up right next to the welded-in stock baffles. Smartpartz’ installation instructions left a great deal to be desired, so to clarify: the baffle’s cutout hole lines up with the cutout hole in the pipe; the two are secured with the allen bolt and nut (bolt on the inside, nut on the outside). I used blue Loctite to ensure they didn’t vibrate loose. The baffle hole on the opposing side – the one with the welded-on washer on the inside of the baffle – is where the small black set screw is inserted to create tension against the inner pipe. Because my baffles fit so tightly and because I also used high-temperature silicone gasket maker to help seal the baffles in the pipe, I did not use the set screw. I left the silicone cure for 24 hours before testing. Later riding tests demonstrated no rattle, proving the set screw wasn’t necessary in my case. Installation was as easy and quick as one might imagine, given the “plug and play” character of the product.

I think the baffles give the pipe ends an attractive plug-like, metallic finished look, but I do wish center divider plate was set either vertically or horizontally…the angled (2 o’clock and 8 o’clock) setting gives it a bit of an off-kilter visual appearance. As mentioned, the fit was good – but do inspect for metallic burrs around the lip of the baffle. I didn’t look that closely, and one of the baffles had a very small burr on its lip that prevented that baffle from being completely flush with the pipe in one area. By the time I noticed, it was too late as it wasn’t coming out again without a great deal of labor. It’s a very, very small protrusion – maybe 1/32” – that no one other than me will likely ever notice…but still, it can be avoided by prior inspection and, if needed, filing.

The key question of performance is easily answered: they work great! There have been some reports that they need to heat up some before they work. As per my conversation with someone at Smartpartz and, as well, my own experience, this is actually not correct – though it’s easy to understand how the belief came to be. These baffles work not so much when the bike is idling, but rather when the bike is actually moving, when the force of the exhaust is being pushed through the baffles at a greater rate. That’s not to say that the idle is not similarly dampened, but the effectiveness of the product truly shines once the bike is moving (and is itself warmed up). Five minutes after leaving your garage you’ll understand just how terrific these baffles are.

I hesitate to put a percentage on the volume dampening because it’s a subjective thing to try and quantify, but if pushed would suggest that the bike is likely 20 to 25% quieter than before, which probably exceeds even Smartpartz’ own claim. At highway and other higher speeds (40+) it seems even more, with the wind and the cycle now evenly balanced in volume, instead of having the loud drone of the bike almost completely overwhelm any wind sound (and the pleasantness of the ride). The fundamental “voice” of the pipes is the same – the quality of sound itself hasn’t changed – but the volume at which I hear it certainly has. In my mind, that’s the best of both worlds. Loud pipes save lives, they say, but some of us want to balance that “safety” with some of the other pleasantries that attracted us to riding in the first place. ‘Course, when I open up the throttle, the familiar loud roar is still there in spades. Again – perfect.

A couple other things: Some reviews have touted the baffles ability to silence the infamous decel popping. I have not found that they eliminate popping, but they do lessen it to a moderate degree (and I had already previously marbled the bike). However, those periodic pops that do make it through seem, to my ears, to be louder than previously. Given that the size of the pipe end has been decreased 50%-plus and thus presumably the output force increased, that’s probably not unexpected. There have also been comments that the baffles offer back pressure and so aid in boosting power. I have not found that to be the case; I find neither an improvement nor a decrease in power.

I hope this review helps those who are considering Smartpartz’ baffles. In my mind, they’re a hellvua deal at $70/set for those who are looking to tame the volume of their aftermarket pipes while still keeping the quality and character of sounds that we all paid hundreds of dollars to get.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine do have baffles. I just checked. However, they don't look like pic above. My pipes expand outward from the baffle end to form the end of the pipe.

I looked at other pipes similar. The Cobra Speedster Longs are the only other pipes that come close to looking like mine.

EDIT: Ok, I think my pipes are the HK Big Straights. They look very similar to the Cobra Speedster Longs. However, I noticed the Big Straights cover up more than the Longs. Based on my pic versus the pic HK has, I concluded the Big Straights is what I have.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Put the stock ones back on. Those are the only relatively quiet pipes. Aftermarket are merely different degrees of LOUD, although those baffles sound interesting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Look just like my roadburner 3 in drag pros. And the Hard Kore baffles helped quiet them quite a bit, well worth the money

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
DeputyLoud Did wrapping your baffles change the tone of the exhaust any?? I have the cobra slashdowns. I would like them to be a deeper exhaust note.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts