Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
Kawasaki VN800A (1995). Yamaha Raider (2008). Yamaha FZ1 (2006).
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just changed my rear sproket from 46T to 40T and on the 5th gear, I feel that I need more power ...

Could you guys give me some methods regarding how can I increase the power ?

I have stock carb and air filter and I have the Silver Tail (Leo Vince) exhausts.

Would this kits help, or the increase in power is not significant, in case I keep the stock air filter.
http://www.meancycles.com/store/category.cfm?id=2266&bikeModelID=5552

Thanks
Marcel

Attachments

· Registered
154 Posts
You are on the right track! In order to utilize the power of a jet kit (adding more fuel), you will need to modify the factory air box to allow more air to keep your mixture correct. Google "russian wolf grampsizing". Read the PDF 3 times, then post back here with any questions.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are on the right track! In order to utilize the power of a jet kit (adding more fuel), you will need to modify the factory air box to allow more air to keep your mixture correct. Google "russian wolf grampsizing". Read the PDF 3 times, then post back here with any questions.
Thanks,
I have read (once ...:)) and have a question :
Are there more jet dimensions, available for VN800, like more Stages, or only Stage 1 ?
Also I'm little concerned about the water rain which could go into the filter due to the "large opening now available for air to flow into the air cleaner" (see right/down foto). Could this be a problem ?

@LaneGiard,
Thanks for the recomandation, but yout jet kit is to expensive :D

Attachments

· Registered
154 Posts
I have not heard of anyone having issues with rain, since the air cleaner is shrouded by the radiator, frame, and your right leg. But if you are riding in a downpour then it could theoretically be an issue. Best not to ride in such a condition for more reasons that this one…

With this or any modification you can (and will probably need to) try different jet sizes. The “Stage 1…2…3…” is primarily a marketing scheme and not a definitive performance level. With airbox mods, exhaust, and jetting you might be around a “Stage 2” level. More will require delving into the engine ignition, camshaft/valves, compression ratio, etc. I would estimate this mod yields about 20% more power above 3500rpm, maybe 10% under that. Once you get used to that you can always open up the engine and get serious.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not heard of anyone having issues with rain, since the air cleaner is shrouded by the radiator, frame, and your right leg. But if you are riding in a downpour then it could theoretically be an issue. Best not to ride in such a condition for more reasons that this one…

With this or any modification you can (and will probably need to) try different jet sizes. The “Stage 1…2…3…” is primarily a marketing scheme and not a definitive performance level. With airbox mods, exhaust, and jetting you might be around a “Stage 2” level. More will require delving into the engine ignition, camshaft/valves, compression ratio, etc. I would estimate this mod yields about 20% more power above 3500rpm, maybe 10% under that. Once you get used to that you can always open up the engine and get serious.
Thanks a lot.

in the link I have posted in my first post there are jet kits from Cobra and Dynojet.
http://www.meancycles.com/store/cate...keModelID=5552
All this are Stage 1 (for Dynojet it is written Stage1) ? I didn't found Stage 2 for VN800 ..

· Registered
3,894 Posts
Thanks,
I have read (once ...:)) and have a question :
Are there more jet dimensions, available for VN800, like more Stages, or only Stage 1 ?
Also I'm little concerned about the water rain which could go into the filter due to the "large opening now available for air to flow into the air cleaner" (see right/down foto). Could this be a problem ?

@LaneGiard,
Thanks for the recomandation, but yout jet kit is to expensive :D
Have had mine just like photo for over 3 years and never had an issue with rain. I dont intentionally go out in the rain, but if I'm already out, so be it. Chances are the kits wont have the main jet you'll end up needing.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To maximize power and efficiency, dyno tune is the only way to go. Ever other method is trial and error mixed in with some guesswork.
Dyno tune ...you mean to go to a specialized shop for tunning, if understood well ?
(sorry, englisn is my 2nd language, somethimes I don't understand the terms)

· Registered
45 Posts
Another good kit, http://www.factorypro.com/
on the main page click on the red flashing "online sales", after that click on the "continue to online sales" in the top center of the page, find your bike and the kit you need.
These guy's are amazing and walk you though the process of tuning a carburetor, telling you the symptoms of rich vs. lean. And if the kit you buy doesn't give you big enough jets you can buy bigger ones.

· Registered
3,894 Posts
I just bought mine. May have to take your old ones in to match them up, but most any bike shop should have them, dont have to go to a Kawasaki dealer. Many find the Harley dealer is cheaper, or independents.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought mine. May have to take your old ones in to match them up, but most any bike shop should have them, dont have to go to a Kawasaki dealer. Many find the Harley dealer is cheaper, or independents.
I live in Arad, Romania, no dealers in my town which have jets to sell ...
Could you recomend a site, where to buy them ?
I also sent an email already to this site http://www.factorypro.com/ . Thanks slcvulcan.

· Registered
267 Posts
Many good responses pointing you down the right path. I'll simply share what I ended up going with after countless hours of tinkering. Dynojet kit. Back out your AF adjustment screw 2 1/8 turns. Place the needle clip on 3rd notch down, not 2nd. NOTE!!! this needle depth adjustment is what made all the difference for me. It is against general opinion to go to notch #3 but it worked noticeably better - my pipes are pretty free flowing and I do not know the specifics of yours. Use the main jet stamped 134 which is really a true 158 but we'll skip that confusion for now. You want to use a 52 pilot jet. Given your location that may be tricky to come by. I did not drill out the diaphragm relief port. I used a highflow filter but did not modify the box. Marble it and get rid of all the emission stuff by the petcock but save it - don't throw it away * keep reading the help pages, Wolf etc etc. Everything you need is right here in the forum. The power is there to be had if you take the patience to find it. Best luck to you...

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
i find that when you finally get tired of spending endless monies and time trying to squeaze mouse farts outa a small block motor.. is just get you a bike with a bigger motor usually settles the issue once and for all.. v2k. poncho

Attachments

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Ponch is right as usual. But maybe your issue is like mine. You want more power but love the look of your bike. I get that. I dig a larger front wheel looks wise. Similar to what you have. Kawi doesn't make that look in a larger engine. At least I don't thin they do.

Find the the look you like and then find the power that matches your needs. If you have 2000 cc bike that you don't like looking at then what's the point?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:) You guys all are right ....

I like, in general, chopper style and VN800 is the closest one, from the Vulcans.
The V2K, I like a lot the look of impressive engine, but not so much the overall.
Plus, my wife is riding also the VN800.

So, after you advices, for which THANKS A LOT, I will go to an already tested pattern and think that "Scooterizing", by Russian Wolf, is what I need. All will be the same, only my exhausts could be different than other bikes, which has this mod (I have the Silver Tail, Leo Vince aftermarket exhausts).
I will post here the complete story.
My problem is that I do not have a dyno stand in or next to my town, to measure the AFR. After the mod, my indicators will be the overall running of the bike and the color of the plugs. I intend to make some pictures of the plugs before and after the mod, so I can compare, afterwards.

Marcel

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
for those that cant dance with a bigger gurl, er I mean bike.. stuff this motor.. in this chassis..
45 vs 125hp,, 50 vs 145ft/lbs.. stock, U'll never try to squeak mouse farts outa a small motor agin.

btw, the stok Front tire on a v2k is a 150.. the rim/forx can squeeze a 180 in ther if that aint big nuff for ya? poncho

ps, ther be many mor otter BIG motors worth yor 'tention. jus like druggs, wen you go big, you dont go back. quit playing with those baby toys.

Attachments

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for those that cant dance with a bigger gurl, er I mean bike.. stuff this motor.. in this chassis..
45 vs 125hp,, 50 vs 145ft/lbs.. stock, U'll never try to squeak mouse farts outa a small motor agin.

btw, the stok Front tire on a v2k is a 150.. the rim/forx can squeeze a 180 in ther if that aint big nuff for ya? poncho

ps, ther be many mor otter BIG motors worth yor 'tention. jus like druggs, wen you go big, you dont go back. quit playing with those baby toys.
:)

Ponch, fully agree with you :

In fact, I'm dancing with a big girl. I have an Yamaha Raider (2008) 1900 cmc, with a lot of mods done by me, see pic ..

But, my VN800, I have it since 2003 and it was my first "real" bike and it's "in my heart", since then. Maybe I will keep it forever. Additionaly, my wife is driving the VN800 also and they fit very well, (she is Vulcan Riders member in Romania).

..I love my VN800 ...it's so simple for me.
As a biker, all the time I need to do some mods ...... just cannot stop my self :D ... even I'm not convinced that I realy need that mod ...

One of my best friends has a V2K. When we ride together, often we switch bikes. I like both to ride, Raider & V2K.

Ride safe
Marcel

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts