Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is directed at my guys at the upcoming Kawboy Invasion but also interested in the opinion at large from V2K owners in this forum.
I've been riding on a 1600 classic for almost 4 years, the main reasons I chose it as my "come back to riding" bike was the style of the bike and that it just the size fits me like a glove, most bikes I tried I felt cramped like I could not stretch my legs and a relax position on the bike (for comfort and for safety) is a must for me.
I'm on the process of looking for a V2K to buy, have started to look for them on craiglist and cycletrader, even done nationwide searches and to my surprise there are plenty of them out there available, even found some brand new (1 mile) on them.
I see a lot I like, I can say that most of the ones for sale are the classic and classic LT type that in the process of going for the classic look they lost the original triple eye headlight and heavy looking front that I like.
I am looking to customize the bike a little but the main purpose is to have a bike for a long period (maybe keep for as long as I can ride) and prepare it for long rides witch includes getting it ready for pulling a trailer, longevity and reliability are some of the reasons I like the V2K.
So my question is what do you recommend I put more weight on when buying a V2K?
  • Model year
  • Color/paint
  • Mileage (under 5K, 10K, 20K)
  • Accesories
  • Aftermarket stuff added
Should I get a base model, stock all over, and do the upgrading myself?
There are some that have the typical upgrades I will probably do anyway but some have a lot of work done that take them away from my style of choice.
From what I have research and heard from friends fuel managment, pulley mod and air intake are a must, is there some must do mods I am missing?
Is there something in particular I should look for when I test ride any candidate?

Any help or comments are welcome, pretty sure I will be spending more time in the V2K section of the forum as I transition from my 1600.

I already have some bikes I will go out to see and testdrive within the next 2-3 weeks, I want to go as prepared as I can be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One good thing about buying a bike with certain upgrades/mods is that you can always strip it back down to stock and sell the parts you do not want.

When it comes to color, that is a choice for you to decide. I never wanted a black and chrome bike but I got a good deal on one.

Millage can be tricky. Would you take a higher millage bike with complete service records or a low millage bike with no service records.

As for accessories, make it yours and what makes you comfortable.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ten77, only two of yor criteria are worth considering; Model Year, newer is better. Mileage, lower is better. and of course the Third criteria, Price.

do much search online to get sense of what each model and year are priced at. there are three different offerings, old BugEye, Classic and Classic LT(lettuce&tomato). CycleTrader.com and Craigslist are a couple. do Kelly blue book just to get wholesale value. often that is what these things go for.

draw up a matrix of Year, Model, Mileage. pencil in Amounts you find these specific bikes being offered at. it will give you a sense of what yor dealing with and how to negotiate any Hot Deal that comes across your plate.
Matrix; one page for each year, 04 - 010. Model style across top. Mileage going down the side. Price value penciled in each box... a pattern will emerge. accessories if you must are bottom notes at best.

Accessories have zero value don't factor that in. a particular bike is worth its base value, finato. If someone wants to thro in accessories to sweeten the deal, that's their marketing scheme. after all they don't have use for it and are just unloading the bike and all that krome-krap they paid mega bux for.

There is some member on this 4m that has/had access to New left over 010's. they were scarce, but if you wanted one bad $10k would get you one. For a collector, not a rider, that would be the one to buy..

Its too bad Kaw abandoned this motor. maybe over time some folks will start to collect just these motors out of the scrap yards and start a subculture of v2k motor rebilds.. I have had a lot of bikes and motors.. the kaw v2k motor (not the bike) is on par with and many ways out performs some of the best Iv ever ridden including my new 111 injun and 88 goose.

If you really want a world class tour bike, get your hands on a Voyager and yank that silly v17 motor and stuff a v2k heart into it, a real beast of burden. poncho

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@PV: thanx for the input, appreciate and value your advice, the matrix thing is a good idea, kinda what I'm doing in my head but written down will be clearer.
Is the engine swap just plug n play? Or is there mayor work and wrench knowlege involved? Just kikin round ideas in my head, I can see myself doing this kind of thing as a project for a bike to keep long haul, really customize it to my long term needs but always having a riding bike on hand, in other words, if I were to value riding and wrenching I would give riding a 9 and wrenching a 1, the later being a means to an end.
My long term goal is to have a touring bike, as simple as a tourind bike could be, cause I do not like to have all these bells and whistles like ridin a 2wheel lux car (once I start touring I might change my mind) and I also very much enjoy having a 'round town bike, striped down to almost bobber/chopper simplicity so I see a couple of ways to do it:
1.- Having one strong, reliable bike with a fairing that can be taking off and that can pull a trailer to do long trips 2up, thinking the trailer would give me all the storage space I could possibly need, and that would be my only all purpose bike, like you I would worry driving around in a flashy bike like your injun attracting the wrong type of attention.
2.- having a touring bike (like you said, a V2k voyager or a V2Kero) and another bike for every day use, striped down, all style. Keeping in mind I do not use for commuting, is all riding even during work hours and work related trips are pleasure rides.

All in all she/they would be big bikes, the long frame just suits me well and I gotten use to having the power available, any lesser might fell like a toy bike to me. Not a big fan of loud (either visually or acoustically loud) but a beautiful bike always turns my head. I'm a bigger fan of riding than of parking my bike up front and cleaning it in front of a crowd.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
No it's not a direct plug and play. It sounds cool, and people keep talking about it; but it's a very different engine and transmission and a very different frame. The V2K platform is also a 5 speed instead of the 1700's 6 speed and having ridden both; the 1700 is a smoother platform. Some of us don't need to pull stumps every day, we just like having a comfortable bike to ride. A smoother running V2K with a better transmission would be great!

I'll second ponch's comments on accessories. Don't let someone talk you into paying for their accessories. If you want accessories, buy them yourself and get the ones you want. But they add absolutely no value to the bike. Many owners will take accessories off and sell them elsewhere.

From what you're wanting, a V2K sounds like the ideal bike. Memphis Shades makes quick release fairing and there are quick release windshield options.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't let someone talk you into paying for their accessories. If you want accessories, buy them yourself and get the ones you want. But they add absolutely no value to the bike.

If you are talking about bags and a quality fairing as accessories - I do not agree.

Good matching bags are $500-600 and a good fairing (not a cut up, forced to fit garage project) is $1000 - 1500. If you by them already on the bike and you can get them for half - or less - the new price it would be worth your while as opposed to buying a stripped down bike and buying the bags and fairing new.

In all fairness the OP has called me about the Vulcan I have for sale and my bike has bags and a Corbin fairing. I have stated to others looking at the bike I will sell it either as is or strip all the goodies off going back to stock and lower the price - then selling the items on line.

I won't get what I paid for them but it will be cash in my pocket above and beyond what I sold the bike for in stock form.

I have already had offers for the bags and fairing so I really don't care either way.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I have bought and sold a lot of bikes. the best way to move that v2k is as close to stock as you can restore it.. you will move it faster at what is current value..
ALL the accessories should be available to whomever for what price you deem is fair. yes 50% is the going rate. If the new bike guy wants the goods, he can pay for them. if not, don't let that slow the sale down. sell the bike, sell the acc. don't bundle them..
you will get more and move it faster.. is what you want. poncho

5150, that's a gorgeous bike and will sell all by itself. ten77 has a batwing he can move over. unless he bundles it when he sells his bike.. doh!

btw, what are you asking for the fairing?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
v2k motor merge.. is not a weekend bike project.. somebody who WANTS to do this CAN but will require extensive study and fab-fitment to squeeze the new mill into a shorter frame.. it can be done, but you really have to want it.

this is the stuff that comes out of a garage that's already packed full of every kinda bike you could already want have..
there is no NEED to fab this unless you just want a Project. It would be one kikass project.
it would require the sacrifice of 2 bikes.. a used Voyager and a used v2k..
the resulting left overs also could be (another project) fitted so that refined/smooth/less powerful motor fitted into the empty v2k chassis..
Most likely the left over motor and parts would be better sold parted out for residual cost recovery..?

So back to your dilemma of what your Garage mite should look like.. If you get the travel bug, you will want a Full size Tour bike of whichever style, size, mfg that floats your boat.. Its best not to have this as your daily beater bike as you will subject it to all kind of abuse that may make it unsuitable, untrustworthy for long distance travel.
Beater Bike. a day rider. depends on how where you ride and for what. don't get another version of the same bike. get you something diff. push some other buttons.. you can have all the fun under the sun on this one and not worry, care that it gets dirty or scratched or needs some TLC.. will be back gotta go

·
Registered
178 Posts
Although the fairing looks like hassle to remove - it only takes 4 bolts and it's off ! Same with the bags - 4 bolts and you have a stripped down cruiser.

Plus I have a 225/60 car tire on the rear so it is just like a euro gear change.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Although the fairing looks like hassle to remove - it only takes 4 bolts and it's off ! Same with the bags - 4 bolts and you have a stripped down cruiser.
4 bolts! Too much work, only 3 bolts for my Corbin bags! :cool:

PS. Nice floor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I got...

From a Tallahassee Harley dealership no less. A 2009 Vulcan 2000 LT, loaded with all accessories that I wanted, 6,800 miles, $7800. They tried to sell me a $25,000 Harley, no way I could afford it. I backed out & they had the LT arrive a few days later. Sales guy called me, done deal & I've been happier than a pig in slop ever since. Will try to attach photo here. T

The only thing I wish is that it had a sixth gear and a tach.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The only thing I wish is that it had a sixth gear and a tach.
ez nuff remedied.. but watta spoiled bunch we'v become.. as tho six gears (I have em) is minimum or I cant enjoy my new ride.. we usta fuss same about/when it was only 4 and we wanted 5..
I tell you six is almost never used, or should be. 5 spread out to match the motor output is plenty.. truth is 4 if they were wide ratio got the job done fine... oh, we are such babies.. if it don't got six.. I hear this piss n moan from the v17 klub with their woefully underpowered mosikells.. and v9's that aren't any better... Im kinda like yor mother saying shut the f up and enjoy yor dinner or go to yor room hungry.. poncho

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me nombre Emilio Zapata!

Hey Poncho,

What the hay is going on with old Mexico? They're killing each other so fast they're won't be a Mexico soon. 43 dead yesterday alone.

Toured there in '71 on a 650 Yamaha. Had a great time all by my lonesome. No trouble. That was when I wasn't a spoiled brat and wanted six gears and 2000cc. But I was 23 then, just out of Vietnam & was fearless or too stupid to realize I was traveling in Mexico by myself.

Hey, I pick up a buzz type vibration at 65 to 70 mph. Any of you guys experience that high frequency vibration? It's not an out of balance wheel.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
ez nuff remedied.. but watta spoiled bunch we'v become.. as tho six gears (I have em) is minimum or I cant enjoy my new ride..
Somehow I fully enjoy the ride without 6th cog or a taco-meter. Maybe I am not completely spoiled yet. But than Rome was not burned in a day, all in good times. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sound to me you're headed straight to Euro-gears

Take the easy way and put a 225/60 CT on it like I did.:D It has the same effect as euro gears because the tire is taller - and it will go 30K + miles !

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hey Poncho, What the hay is going on with old Mexico? They're killing each other so fast they're won't be a Mexico soon. 43 dead yesterday alone.
Hey, I pick up a buzz type vibration at 65 to 70 mph. Any of you guys experience that high frequency vibration? It's not an out of balance wheel.
ol mehico is owned by the rich and the ones with the guns.. drug cartels fighting for territory(same as Waco this side of the fence).. yor not safe either place, but here you can carry so yor not totally a sheep waiting to get f'd..

we tex/mex kawboys are takin our chances on a Cabo Carivan aka Baja Burn or Siesta by the Sea if you like. soon. you shuld join us.

Buzz lite year, 'splain yourself. watt is happenin, where, when. we are like bike doctors doin brain surgery over the phone.. best tell us ever'thin. poncho

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sound to me you're headed straight to Euro-gears

Take the easy way and put a 226/60 CT on it like I did.:D It has the same effect as euro gears because the tire is taller - and it will go 30K + miles !
@5150: What effect does it have on the speedo??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts