Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Used v9 classic i bought sat outside in high humidity city and has lost its shine. Little rust spots, grime and
mold from humidity.

I tried coca cola according to some youtubers that swear by it, didn't work as much, so need yall help

I am asking if you can share with me some tips on what to use and what type of brushes
(unless there a spray on and rinse approach) to use?

Thank you.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I would wash first with a degreaser. Chrome polish. 0000 steel wool, very light rubbing. More chrome polish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you

any names you can mention for degreaser/chrome polish?

didn't know spokes were chrome , those they were stainless steel sort of

so i guess coca cola is useless

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use Mother's Chrome Polish. Seems to work well for me. My bike came from the Galveston area, and had a few tiny rust spots. The Polish keeps the rust away. My understanding is once rust shows up on chromed metals, the chrome has a tiny hole in it (assuming it's early and hasn't progressed) that allows dirt and moisture to penetrate to the metal below. This Polish seems to block the tiny holes. I only apply it once a year. It will take some rubbing though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the rim itself i used supper fine sand paper (600 or better) will work on the real hard rust spots. Actually found more rust inside the rim once the tube and tire were off. I use Blue Magic metal polish, its incredible (Also works on your exhaust pipes). I am going to try the 0000 steel wool on the actual spokes to see if that cleans up the ageing on there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your suggestions

does mothers polish use for exhaust pipes, like the blue magic?...........interesting, 4 steps below:

I figure I'll do degreaser or foam spray on spokes
then, good wipe of each spoke
polish, lastly, individually and the outside rim

and very lastly, magic eraser and 'scrub free' house cleaner on the white walls,
i hear is great for our WW on the classic

this should make spokes /tires look great

I would like to do it right and take wheels off but I dont think I will

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Magic eraser is great on the White Walls.
Did it three days ago on mine

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you said you used magic eraser with what type of washing solvent?

also, did you guys here that BLEACH or washing agent with bleach
( even tho is great for the white walls) is not good for the tire , or alloy paint
b/c it will take the paint off, correct?

if not i 'd like to use the bleach if its safe for the tire wall.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Cleaning spokes is a lot of bother. Wish that the 900 Classic LT were de-classiced a little and that we had the choice of alloys or spokes OEM. Quite honestly I haven't done much with my spoked wheels on my '07 since it was new and after the first year of trying to keep the spokes polished and giving up they have not become worse in appearance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bar Keepers Friend might work well on the spokes to clean them before polishing. I would be leery about using it on any large surface high polish chrome like pipes or rims because it may be too abrasive. As always, check in an inconspicuous place, or on your friends bike first.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I used the magic eraser with water only, no solvents at all.
Also used it on the chrome rims and spokes to clean them and give them a little polish.

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi @jbiggers
depending on how deep the rust is, you might want to try a chemical solution.. if it's deeper than just the surface, than a mechanical approach -as the others suggested- is the only way to get things clean.

I had success using the Krud Kutter rust removal on bolts and other little things that had more like 'rust stains' than actual heavy rust. This product is water based and it states that it also prevents rust for up to 1 year. CLR is also a good product.

Years ago I did a little experiment with different rust inhibitors on a bare metal sheet. As I recall, after about a year or so outside, the part treated with WD40 was the cleanest (still had rust spots). But WD40 is too oily for shinny things as it attracts all kinds of dirt.

A sealant is the key to prevent rust. Clear coating for the long run, silicone lubricant for a year or so.. it won't collect dirt as much as oil, but it's still not completely dry, hence the ability to prevent rust. good luck, take pictures :}

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rusty wheels

My 2012 Vulcan has some rust on parts of the rims and some of the spokes. I've used ACF50, but staying wet it attracks dirt, and soon washes off the areas washed by the rain/wet roads. After cleaning and polishing my rims and spokes I used a solid wax polish (antique wax) and just rubbed it into the affected areas. It doesn't get rid of the rust, but it does stop it getting any worse, and being a solid it dries to a tack-free finish and doesn't attract the dirt or wash off.
I just go over it about every 2 or 3 months.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
You don't want to use a wax on chrome because chrome is porous and it will trap moisture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trapped moisture.

"You don't want to use a wax on chrome because chrome is porous and it will trap moisture." Quote GFish.

My bike stands outside under a cover in the UK in a coastal location and is used all year round, so the trapped moisture that could lurk under a thin wax coating is the least of its worries. I also use a product called Waxoyl, which is wax based and is used by millions of people worldwide, on all sorts of products.
I've been using it for over 20 years with nothing but beneficial results as a rustproofer on my motorcycles and cars.

On the subject of water based rust removers, I've used a US product called "Evaporust" with great results for treating rusted petrol tanks (which were later sealed with a polyester resin based product called Petseal)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just wanted to add, that Mother's Chrome Polish is advertised to have polymers that remain on the bike (for some undetermined time). I only use it once a year, and no additional rust so far. The product in wipe on, wait a minute, wipe off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts