Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter I purchased one of those of do it yourself winterizing kits from Autozone and it was a pile of garbage.

So I come to you guys to see how best to winterize the bike as she lays in sleep this long cold winter.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Fill the tank, put StaBil into it. I pull my battery and rotate it through a trickle charger with my other batteries that i pulled for the winter. At any rate, you want to keep the battery charged until you're ready to ride again.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Make sure tank is full, add Stabil and run bike to ensure the treated fuel gets all through the system. I also take my battery inside and have it on a tender. Oh, and of course, cry, piss and moan till spring! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the bike in the back of the garage, about the warmest part of it. I am going to get some new stabil as I think the stuff I used last year has gone to crap. As far as pulling the batt, would staring and let it run for a while each week or every other week work as well? That is what I am planning on doing with my other small IC engines.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I have the bike in the back of the garage, about the warmest part of it. I am going to get some new stabil as I think the stuff I used last year has gone to crap. As far as pulling the batt, would staring and let it run for a while each week or every other week work as well? That is what I am planning on doing with my other small IC engines.
Opinions differ on this but Short runs IMO will throw water in the pipes and if you do not get the bike real hot to burn it off, that water could produce rust. Also I doubt a short run would charge that cold batt like a nice tender in the warm basement. One more thing I do is put a large sheet of plywood under the bike to park on.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I did the Stabil thing, but I just hooked the Battery Tender up with the battery in the bike (in the garage). It's got an adapter that mounts to the battery and I mounted the other end so it sticks out just under the seat. That way if it gets warm enough I can just take the bike cover off, disconnect the charger and go!

I also took the saddlebags and Corbin seat off and put the stock seat back on. I conditioned the seat and bags and put them in the basement.

I noticed both of the earlier posters are in MN, where a warm spell is less likely and colder temps would mean that bringing the battery inside might be a good idea. I'm in Omaha and it's not unusual to get a nice indian summer somewhere along the line.

The plywood under the tires is a good idea. I'll have to do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to clear out a space in my small finished basement then for the batt. The other small IC engines will have to sit in the cold. lol

And I like the idea of the the boards under the bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I noticed both of the earlier posters are in MN, where a warm spell is less likely and colder temps would mean that bringing the battery inside might be a good idea.
Colder temps is right... i look forward to when it warms up to 0°F. The reason i pull my batteries is because i winterize two bikes, a riding lawnmower, a camper, a boat, and a sportscar. I put all my batteries into a central location and rotate them through the trickle charger.

I'd agree with Nomad about the short running times to charge the battery. I'd be a little dubious about the benefits and concerned about ill effects.

I'm assuming that the plywood is for keeping the tires off the dirt? I'm in the garage on cement so i don't see the necessity for that.

As far as the StaBil is concerned, i put it in at the gas station when i fill my tank. It gets mixed up well that way and the 2-mile ride home puts it through the system. Since my 900 is injected, i don't worry about it; but my Spirit has carbs and i run them dry before storage.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Here in mid state NY I add Seafoam and top off the tank run it through the system then home. Change the oil, park it on some rubber mats, take the battery indoors put it on a float charger, take the air filter off seal the throttle body intake and leave the cover off so my mice friends can't make a nest, plug the tail pipes and throw the cover over it ......

·
Registered
295 Posts
"Winterizing" to me is trying to keep the tanks full, tires up, Tender on the batteries and getting out and riding despite the weather. 3 weeks max is how long a bike sits in my garage during winter and now that I bought a heated vest it might not be that long! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Move to warmer weather and keep riding!! Probably not the BEST option?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another alternative to parking on plywood is a carpet scrap under each tire. And I'll probably also try to simply move it a little bit to rest it on a different spot of the tires periodically.

Also I've been told sealing the tail pipes against stray moisture is a good idea. Just need a piece of kitchen plastic wrap and a rubber band for that.

But yeah, pulling the battery and getting it indoors so it keeps from freezing is a very good idea. I still have to do that part yet.

When I changed the oil last weekend, I could NOT get the filter off. It's my first DIY oil change after the dealer did the 600-mile service. I managed to ding up the filter enough with channel-locks so then even when I bought the correct filter cap wrench, it wouldn't hold on there either. So I'll take it back in the spring and let THEM deal with it. Maybe not to the dealer, but to another trusted wrench I know.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had the same problem with my oil filter the first time I changed it. I tried the old pound a screw driver through it and twist it off. Shredded the filter and punched all the way through and hit the oil pressure sensor. Fortunatly didn't break it, but nudged it enuf to leak. Also fortunatly the next day I took it to Hopkins HP and had them do the recall on the fuel line and noticed the leak. They didn't fix it, but figured it out. Took the guy about a half hour, it wouldn't leak unless the engine was rev'd up. I didn't want to pay them to fix something I could do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Last season I used Stabil in a full tank of Hi Test and a fresh oil change with a new air filter. The Battery was left in and I rode her once a week to work a 56 mile round trip. My general rule is that I won't ride when it is below 27 or 28 degrees when it is wet outside because of the possibility for ice on the road. February is usually the worst for riding thats where the Stabil comes in Other wise I'll run her twice a week in the driveway when it's too snowy.
It's probably just me but I can't stand the idea of removing the battery because I can't start the bike all winter. Times when I have removed the battery a trickle charger was plugged in weekly. My Honda battery is on it's tenth season!
My tires only last a season or a season and a half anyway so I don't give them any special attention other than the air pressure.
I found that using those Muffs that go over the grips and a neck warmer with a full face Helmet make for a decent ride even if it gets down to 25. If the ride gets longer than an hour I'll use Rubber Totes boots over my leather boots and that does the trick for keeping my feet warm. Those heated grips I didn't invest in. My research from the guys I know that use them say that palms feel the warmth but they do little for the finger tips.
Hmmm, Sorry, I seem to have strayed from the topic but I get such a feeling of freedom when I ride that I try to when ever I can.

·
Registered
941 Posts
When I changed the oil last weekend, I could NOT get the filter off. It's my first DIY oil change after the dealer did the 600-mile service. I managed to ding up the filter enough with channel-locks so then even when I bought the correct filter cap wrench, it wouldn't hold on there either. So I'll take it back in the spring and let THEM deal with it. Maybe not to the dealer, but to another trusted wrench I know.
Hey check out this oil filter wrench. Instead of one that only works one a certain size of filter. I have some that will go around any filter, but the handle goes to the side and on our bike you can't do that. But this one uses a socket from the end. http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=41397

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmmm... now THAT looks like da BOMB of oil filter wrenches. "vinyl-coated jaw tips for extra grip", "Great in limited space applications", yeah, perfect. I wish the picture was a little bit bigger see really see it, but I might just take a chance on this one. If it saves another visit to a service center for a measly oil change, it'd be worth it. Thanks for the tip, eLi.:cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
My suggestion is to move to a warmer climate and ride year round. BTW, we got snowed on last night for the first time in several years so if only for a day, I can empathize with you!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good find, Helek. Glad I didn't order that one online just yet. I'll just stop in at my local O'Reilly store... heck I think we have 2 of 'em here in little old Forest Lake, MN. And that will have to do for now, winterizing until the wife & I can move back to a warmer climate (I do miss living in the Golden State).

Current air temp, 19F which is the warmest it's supposed to be for the rest of the week. Winter Storm Warning out for tomorrow. Time to batten down the hatches!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts