Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 1600 nomad. Working on clutch and pushrod oil seal gasket was barely hanging on Tried and tried to get it through to the outside but I failed. Is there any trick to getting this out Or am I seriously going to have to pull engine and tear the whole thing apart? Will it be a problem if leave it and it sits in bottom of oil pan? Can I flush it out somehow? Please any help will be very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Been thinking about your post when I read it yesterday. I don’t know if you are screwed if you leave it in there. It is a small seal. Maybe it will get mashed up and come out with the oil change. Who knows. Do you think if you got one of those lighted inspection cameras and looked inside, would you be able to see the seal? If you drain your oil will the seal maybe float to the drain plug hole and may be able to be grabbed by some needle nose pliers or some hooked tool? Really just thinking out loud here. Amazing that the Kawasaki engineers didn’t design the cover with a lip to secure the seal. Common sense says there should be one there. Best of luck with your issue.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
It is very unlikely the seal will ever find its way to the crankcase as the seal is located in the bevel gear housing. There are oil returns in the block at the bottom of the housing, but not large enough for it to pass thru. Your main concern would be if it got into the bevel gear assembly. Let's hope not.
Too late for you now but for someone reading this post wanting to replace the clutch pushrod seal because it is leaking, do not remove the pushrod, push the existing seal inward, let it remain on the rod and install the new seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been thinking about your post when I read it yesterday. I don’t know if you are screwed if you leave it in there. It is a small seal. Maybe it will get mashed up and come out with the oil change. Who knows. Do you think if you got one of those lighted inspection cameras and looked inside, would you be able to see the seal? If you drain your oil will the seal maybe float to the drain plug hole and may be able to be grabbed by some needle nose pliers or some hooked tool? Really just thinking out loud here. Amazing that the Kawasaki engineers didn’t design the cover with a lip to secure the seal. Common sense says there should be one there. Best of luck with your issue.
I did look around with my inspection tool and couldn’t find it. Was hoping filter would catch any chewed up bits. And I could change it really soon before it all broke down and got into system. Do you know if I can open that section without pulling motor?

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
That is funny. I was just answering you post saying Bandit101 would be the member to ask, and his post popped up. You can take his advice as super accurate. For the time I have been on this forum and read his posts, he is one of knowledgeable members on the internals of these engines and all the other systems of these bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts