Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who was thinking about getting a 900, and asked me what I thought about the 900. Another friend said that the 900 isn't very powerful for a bike its size. But since this is the first I've ever owned and/or have ridden I couldn't offer an opinion?

Does anybody agree / disagree?

For anyone thats ridden or owned a bike of the same size, I know its not a harley and not expect it to have that much power, but how does it compare to other bikes the same size, say a honda?

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

-Jeff

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
Honda doesn't have a comparable bike to the 900; their closest is the 750. Yamaha has the 950 and the 900 generally beats the 950 in side-by-side comparisons, but the power is nearly identical. Suzuki's closest is the 800. Harley's closest is the 883, which is only available on the Sportster and not really a comparable bike (even though it gets thrown in the side-by-sides a lot...and loses...a lot).

Here's what I would tell your buddy...the 900 has more than enough power for solo and even some 2-up riding. The idea that 903cc isn't enough power is a very recent evolution in bikes...it wasn't too long ago when 750cc were the "BIG" bikes. The 900 is a more than capable bike and often gets compared to bikes slightly larger because of its big bike features, looks, and ability.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
Thanks.

I'm still new to this so forgive my ignorance but which one(s) were you saying was the v-Twin? I'm assuming you meant the Honda and HD, not a Vulcan.
V-Twin is the type of engine...midsize and big cruisers generally use a V-Twin engine (it looks like a V...very clever name). He was talking about sportbikes...some of which use in-line engines.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
As a side-note, WoodMath... are you still planning the summer ride through the Southwest? Extended roadtrips on a bike are really a great experience.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am taking 6000 mile ,2 up trip with a 175 lb trailer with 310 lbs of rider and passanger in june from. Canada to the grand canyon area and back, if this bike could not do the job I would not have bought it. Cruisers offer torque, not outrite horsepower, if I wanted hp I would have taken my 650 sportbike, which has almost double. Mind you if I want the same torque numbers as the vulcan I would be at around 12,500 rpm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
plenty of Tq. can run mountains with decent grades two up and full saddles no problem. Can still outrun 95% of cars in the 1/4 if you really chose to. Ive ridden/owned bikes with two, and even three times the power (my worked over busa), and the power of this bike doesnt disappoint. And if you are a 1st timer...youll be happy with it

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a friend who was thinking about getting a 900, and asked me what I thought about the 900. Another friend said that the 900 isn't very powerful for a bike its size. But since this is the first I've ever owned and/or have ridden I couldn't offer an opinion?

For anyone thats ridden or owned a bike of the same size, I know its not a harley and not expect it to have that much power, but how does it compare to other bikes the same size, say a honda?

-Jeff

Hahaha, what's that supposed to mean?!?

·
Registered
263 Posts

-Jeff

I can only imagine that with your power concerns that you would be hauling a camper? Pulling a boat? Not compared to a HD is pure ignorance of the brand and a sign that you do not hold your head high when in the presence of HDs. Ask them how powerful they are when they sit at a stand still in July.

Just Kidding.

My 900 is more than enough for me. I weigh in at 250+. I can still outrun most cars, get to 70 quicker than I am comfortable with, I can control the bike very well. When I am riding 2 up, I still have an over abundance of throttle.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Would it be as much power as a vulcan 88 (1994vn1500).I am riding one of them right know and I am thinking to go brand new. I was pondering the thought of the 900 because it fits me real well, and the price is real good aswell.I will be riding solo must of the time

RICH

·
Registered
419 Posts
My personal feelings are that you shouldn't learn to ride on such a large motorcycle. My experiences working in motorcycle shops back this up. The biggest obstacle in learning to ride should be learning the "tricks" of the road and skills necessary to handle all the conditions you will encounter. For this you need a very easy to handle motorcycle with a smooth, flat power band that is light and nimble enough to "forgive" mistakes you may make starting, stopping, turning, ect. Far too many people don't understand until its too late that you can't "manhandle" a heavy, powerful motorcycle and devote your concentration to the obstacles of the road and all the vehicles on them. Once you have mastered the skills then move up in size. By all means take the motorcycle safety course. But this alone will only start you on the life-long journey of safe enjoyable motorcycling. There's always exceptions to the rule, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 900 custom, blows away the 800cc boulevards, 750 shadows (this one outttta the water), and I raced a 1300cc Harley I believe. I had him all the way up til about 60 in 3rd gear then he slowly passed me.

This bike produces a lot of power.

I have a 1981 CB900t with the dual range transmission as well, and this bike keeps up with it, and can pass it with the honda in both high and low.

I brought home two 60lb pumpkins, two 20lb pumpkins and two 10lb pumpkins in the trailer, as well as myself, (6'3 or 6'4 260 lbs) and never felt like the bike struggled.

I LOVE this bike. And it holds it own, compared to a lot of similar bikes, even larger bikes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Vulcan 900 compared to a Vstar 1300

I bought a Vstar 1300 late last fall and I still have my 900 Custom which I will be selling within the next week. I have ridden both of them this year, although not for more than 1 hr each, but I will give you my impression.

First if my memory serves me (which it doesn't always do) the 900 does a quarter mile in something around 15 seconds and the 1300 somewhere around 13 seconds. The 900 has 45-50 hp and the 1300 has somewhere around 80 hp. Those are just some published statistics.

Now here's my impression from riding the two of them, although I've put 8000 mi on 900 in a couple of years, and only about 40-50 on the 1300 this spring. The 900 acually is designed (torque and gearing) to feel bigger than it is at low speed rpm. I agree with that, I think right of of idle the 900 feels like it has more torque, I can leave easily without feathering the clutch. The 1300 they tried to give the bike a little more midrange and upper end rpm/power. The 1300 doesn't feel like it leaves from a stop as easy, I have to give it a little more gas and feather the clutch alittle more to get it going. At very low speeds in the same respective gears I would guess the 900 would pull a little more until the 1300 got into it's rpm range, than it would start pulling away. In my opinion the 900 is perfect for every day around town traffic and weekend trips. It has plenty of power for most conditions. Where it seems to be short on is a 6th gear overdrive. Above 75 the 900 feels like it is revving a bit more than you'd expect from a cruiser. On the other hand the 1300 could use 6 gears to shorten up the spacing in the four lower gears as 5 gear is a real overdrive. I wouldn't use 5 gear on the 1300 until getting to about 55 or 60mph. So what I'm getting at here is the 1300 is better suited for long touring days on the interstate but maybe lacks a bit (not much) on the day to day city traffic.

What it comes down to is it really depends what kind riding you expect to do most of the time, the 900 is really a good choice of not being to small but not being a 750-850 lb boat anchor. I haven't really got enough miles on the 1300 to appreciate it's different character but I wish I could keep both of them for whatever the riding style for the day dictates. Unfortunely some of us live on a budget and can't really afford to do that.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a side-note, WoodMath... are you still planning the summer ride through the Southwest? Extended roadtrips on a bike are really a great experience.
Yes I am. End of April Early May. My only concern is it will still be a little cool in the beginning of May. If not then Mid July. Not sure If I'm going anywhere specific or just hitting the open road and heading west.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My friend has a 1200 HD and my 900 seems to be every bit as fast. For a 900 I would say it's pleanty fast but it's no sport bike. I really wish it had a sixth gear though. After 70 there is some vibration to deal with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Plenty of Power!

:cool:WoodMath,

My son has a 900 Custom and rides a lot with his two buddies that have an HD 1200 and an HD 1200 modified. They go toe to toe EVERYTIME. I'd say that qualifys as powerful enough. Plus, his bike came with several features including better handling and ride that are options on the HD. At half the price the fun is twice as nice!!

Ride them both, check your wallet, and you'll see... the 900 is a great bike with PLENTY of power!

-MK :cool:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
900 power.
I love music just as much as I like motorcycles.
Motorcycles and speakers have a lot in common IMHO. The ear has a way of "getting bored/used" to a speaker no matter what the quality. Ever notice how those brand new speakers after a couple of months don't sound so "fresh" anymore? They are the same speaker, every bit as good, it's just that us humans adjust......Such is the same with bikes. What was once fast now seems sluggish, hence, mods. We get used to the rush. It keeps us all slogging ahead, rarely settling.
Now, with the nine, my personal opinion is it's a great bike with plenty of power. Ridden within it's means (occational weekend jaunts and killer city driving characteristics) it's a great choice. Power is a subjective thing. Take a look at the 1700 forums. I always get a chuckle whenever I read about how powerful the bike is.....and two weeks later, how do I debaffle...what about a new intake, power commander? It is the nature of the beast. Us humans are rarely satisfied for long. The nine is a "MID-SIZED CRUISER". iT IS NEITHER SLUGGISH NOR SCARILY FAST! Mine will do 120 kph ALL DAY, two-up with gear. In fact, it actually works better with the wife on board. She seems to smooth out the ride which is a little harsh at the shock setting of six(for two-up riding). I never notice the machine ailing in any way when I go two-up. This ALWAYS surprises me. Must have something to do with the torque of a cruiser. Anyways, where I live, the maximum posted speed allowed is 110 kph. The nine chugs at this speed. It prefers 120 kph. I frequently ride the nine at the upper end of the rpm range, she likes fourth gear, I usually hit my sweet spot there.( I'm from a moto-cross/dual sport heritage and am used to a high revving machine). Those that aren't opt for a steeper pulley/pulleys. The bike begs for a sixth gear after 130kph. If you or your friend choose the 900 for the right reasons you won't be disapointed. This is actually my second 900 (I almost bought the 1700 the second time around) before I came to my senses and realized that this bike fits me like glove. Is it the fastest? No. Is it the fastest amongst bikes in it's class? Probably. I know it sure is a beauty. Last weekend two seperate people came over and asked if they could take a picture of my bike. Not bad for a stocker.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts