Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/augments/infographics/2013-infographics/motorcycling-popularity-us-states.html#sthash.Y0LUHGEy.R1AGJnY2.dpbs

Thought that was interesting. Not surprisingly, there were more motorcycles in warmer states; BUT, they were spread out in 'most motorcycles per person'.

Also apparently Mississippians don't like motorcycles!

I had read something some time ago that compared rankings of motorcycles-per-household to motorcycle fatalities. More motorcycles, less fatalities. Conversely, if not a lot of people ride, the ones who do are more likely to be in a wreck. Not sure if that's because of a lack of education and awareness due to low demand, or just drivers not used to seeing motorcycles? (Or both). I know, for me, it always seems like I have to deal with people not seeing me more in the winter, when there are very few bikes on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Even more valid (but a LOT more work) would be to break it down to MSA. The Clarksville MSA for instance, contains Fort Campbell, KY with a large active duty Army population. This pools a lot of young adults together, in an area with great roads and reasonable riding weather for most of the year. The bikes can be thick as flies on a Sunday afternoon! If clubs are counted, the area has over a hundred MCs!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Also apparently Mississippians don't like motorcycles!
Top 3 Reasons for this...

1) Bad roads
2) Bad multi-wheeled drivers
3) Miss. has more obese people that any other state

Fat people don't want to ride bad roads. Would rather take cage to McDonald's or Krispy Kreme. If an obese person goes down, it's bad!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It would not be too bad if the DMVs had their info in nice neat Databases. But any ways, I would find that more interesting too, Each state can be so diverse from one area to another. For example in VA, you have the area I am in which is Coal Country, Then once you leave it you have the Pretty non-striped Mountain areas, then you have the DC area, and the beach areas. I am sure all states are like that too.

From the stats give it looks a larger percentage of people who live in more rural states has motorcycles. I guess it is more tempting when you have good riding right out side your front door too.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Even more valid (but a LOT more work) would be to break it down to MSA. The Clarksville MSA for instance, contains Fort Campbell, KY with a large active duty Army population. This pools a lot of young adults together, in an area with great roads and reasonable riding weather for most of the year. The bikes can be thick as flies on a Sunday afternoon! If clubs are counted, the area has over a hundred MCs!
I think clubs has a lot to do with it too. I only say that because in the last three years, we've had a few small "clubs" pop up here. Where I live (And I don't mean Missouri, but this COUNTY) we had the CMA Chapter I belong to (though that's certainly not an 'MC'), an active Patriot Guard and American Leagion presence; and that was about it. Within the last couple of years, we've added two small 'groups', a Freedom of the Road Riders (similar to ABATE) Chapter and a non-back-patch group that focuses on charity. Then, add a small "MC" (three piece patch outfit; though they are a bit of a joke as I understand it among the members of bigger clubs), and there are more and more bikers out here all the time. Local MC dealer says in the last couple years he's had an influx of sales, and we keep seeing more and more NEW riders all the time. More bikes at bike shows and bike nights; it's really picking up. And it's not people running out to buy a bike, a vest, and a patch either. It just seems like the presence of motorcycles in the community doing events (not just being on the road) has really had an influx of new people wanting to ride.

3) Miss. has more obese people that any other state

Fat people don't want to ride bad roads. Would rather take cage to McDonald's or Krispy Kreme. If an obese person goes down, it's bad!
Hey now! I'm a fat person! Working on it though. On July 1st I was 330. This morning I was 282. But still, I don't mind a long ride! Even over bad roads!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would not be too bad if the DMVs had their info in nice neat Databases. But any ways, I would find that more interesting too, Each state can be so diverse from one area to another. For example in VA, you have the area I am in which is Coal Country, Then once you leave it you have the Pretty non-striped Mountain areas, then you have the DC area, and the beach areas. I am sure all states are like that too.

From the stats give it looks a larger percentage of people who live in more rural states has motorcycles. I guess it is more tempting when you have good riding right out side your front door too.
Missouri is pretty much the same everywhere. We have two major cities. Kansas City is the big one, and then we have Baghdad, er... I mean St.Louis. Always get them confused! When they talk about them on the news they always sound the same. Anyway, other than that (and there really aren't even any serious suburbs outside of St.Louis, some, but they aren't very big) it's mostly wine country and farm country. Those winery roads are FANTASTIC. The roads are well maintained because they want people to come out and tour the wineries, but they are also twisty and beautiful. Plus, AWESOME food. I don't know many other places where you can be out in the middle of nowhere on a twisty road and pull into a place that has fantastic, good quality food and great service. So yeah; I can definitely see a draw for motorcycles in an area like this! Compared to those little states up east who have to write their names over the ocean. Basically one big city. Yuck!

I do think Missouri is one of the most under-rated motorcycle states. LOTS of awesome, twisty roads that gives some of the famous ones a run for their money (but you won't ever hear about in a motorcycle magazine!). Rural enough to be on an open road with little traffic and lots of scenery, but not the wild wild west so much that you can't get fuel. In fact, you can probably even take a sportster or something similar with a 100 mile range and be okay; you'll run into some tiny little town with a gas station eventually. I was out in Montana earlier this year; and while that's probably my favorite place on earth (during the summer anyway), there are a lot of bikes that could get stranded out there!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hey now! I'm a fat person! Working on it though. On July 1st I was 330. This morning I was 282. But still, I don't mind a long ride! Even over bad roads!
You don't know bad until you visit here. At least I've found some good roads where I tend to trek mostly. I'll hit the bad ones sometimes just to see how many potholes and road kill I can dodge.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Nice infographic. I was a bit surprised to see Illinois so high on the list. But we have stinking huge amount of people so I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Keep it up and don't get discouraged. I went from 300 back about 3 years ago down to 230 in about 1.5 years. You will feel better, trust me. I have kept it off for the most part since then. I tend to float around 235-240. I need to get back at it knock some more off, but I got comfortable where I was and quit.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You don't know bad until you visit here. At least I've found some good roads where I tend to trek mostly. I'll hit the bad ones sometimes just to see how many potholes and road kill I can dodge.
We are blessed with halfway decent roads here but occasionally you hit a low water bridge, some washed out gravel, or a road that's more pothole than road. The biggest issue we have is our states affinity for chipsealing roads. Tiny bits of pea gravel caked in oil. I'll take any pothole over that crap.

Keep it up and don't get discouraged. I went from 300 back about 3 years ago down to 230 in about 1.5 years. You will feel better, trust me. I have kept it off for the most part since then. I tend to float around 235-240. I need to get back at it knock some more off, but I got comfortable where I was and quit.
Thanks for the encouragement! I've always been big but when I hit 330 I realized it was really a problem. I'm tall too (6'2") so I always made that my excuse, I'm not THAT fat because I'm tall and fairly 'stout' in build. But it sure does feel great to loose it. Doesn't feel great that my motorcycle gear doesn't fit! LOL. Heck, my vest went from needing extenders to being buttoned all the way up and sinched tight but flapping in the wind. This is gonna get expensive!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement! I've always been big but when I hit 330 I realized it was really a problem. I'm tall too (6'2") so I always made that my excuse, I'm not THAT fat because I'm tall and fairly 'stout' in build. But it sure does feel great to loose it. Doesn't feel great that my motorcycle gear doesn't fit! LOL. Heck, my vest went from needing extenders to being buttoned all the way up and sinched tight but flapping in the wind. This is gonna get expensive!
I know what ya mean. I have a size 58 jacket hanging up because it is just HUGE on me now. But I purchased my wife the exact same jacket but to fit her. She lost weight with me, and now I can wear her old one and we got her a new one. But I ended up buying new stuff anyway since that jacket is solid leather and lined. It is too hot. I am about 6' and was always big, I am smaller now that I was in High School. How may people can say that.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what ya mean. I have a size 58 jacket hanging up because it is just HUGE on me now. But I purchased my wife the exact same jacket but to fit her. She lost weight with me, and now I can wear her old one and we got her a new one. But I ended up buying new stuff anyway since that jacket is solid leather and lined. It is too hot. I am about 6' and was always big, I am smaller now that I was in High School. How may people can say that.
I'm hoping to say just that! Actually, don't have far to go to accomplish that.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be taking my wifes hand me down. Her riding jacket is more of an umm... "womans cut", in addition to being sparkly, and she's 5 foot even and definitely does not need to lose any weight. LOL, so I don't think that'll happen :p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A lot of the outer limits road conditions in Miss. is due to farming and heavy equipment and lack of county funds(where does $ go?) to repair them. I see more potholes than holes patched. However, right around election time, I see lots of trucks out laying asphalt and patching.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No surprise CA is first on the list, especially down here where the weather is nice enough to ride year-round.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm surprised Idaho is so high on the list for motorcycles per person. We only have about 1.5 million people in the state. I'm currently trying to determine which road make up our 3 of the Top 100 Motorcycle Roads. I know one of them is US12/Lolo Pass which I got to ride in July. Wanna make sure I got the other 2 as well. Odds are pretty good, but I may have missed one.

Made me chuckle about South Dakota...even 1 bike for every 12 people is still only a thousand bikes or so LOL

I'm just kidding, guys, don't send the militia to my house or anything.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No surprise CA is first on the list, especially down here where the weather is nice enough to ride year-round.
You know you'd think, but there are a lot of northern / short riding season states high on the list, and a lot of warm-year-round states low on the list. Sometimes you just scratch your head and wonder!

I think there are a LOT of variables, including helmet laws, cost, dealership support (I have one small dealer near me that service Victory and Metrics, but if it wasn't for them it'd be well over an hour to a dealer of any brand, H-D, Metric, Vic, etc. So I imagine states with denser dealer support have more bikes!). Even road conditions, LEO reputations, etc.

Which, in all honesty; does seem a little silly to me, as a rider. I don't care where I live; I'd be riding! If for some reason I ended up in a remote northern Alaskan village then I guess I need to find some knobby tires for my Vulcan! But would I have ever gotten into it had I not had the exposure of motorcyclists around me? Who knows.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Don't know much bout Mississippi, only been across it once with few stops. But Missouri, although it was a long time ago, that was one of the most beautiful states I ever saw. Took AI training there at Ft. Leonard Wood. Course that was back in 1970 and Waynesville was a one horse town. Would love to go back and see the Ozarks again someday if issues would allow.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Ill

Nice infographic. I was a bit surprised to see Illinois so high on the list. But we have stinking huge amount of people so I guess it makes sense.
Same here. especially with our crazy weather, short biker season and mostly flat land. But, I do see lot's of bikes out when the weather allows.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't know much bout Mississippi, only been across it once with few stops. But Missouri, although it was a long time ago, that was one of the most beautiful states I ever saw. Took AI training there at Ft. Leonard Wood. Course that was back in 1970 and Waynesville was a one horse town. Would love to go back and see the Ozarks again someday if issues would allow.
I'm definitely blessed here in Missouri. I really do feel like Missouri is a well-kept secret in the motorcycle world. All of these 'amazing roads' I hear about look similar to so many roads out here; except they aren't full of tourist traps and clogged with traffic. You never really hear about Missouri in any of the magazines; but maybe it's better that way. Keeps it wide open, free of traffic! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
They've grown! Up to two horses now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts