Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article (and have seen some brief mention of it in the forums) that the speedometer in the Vulcan 900 is 'optimistic' (That was how it was put in the article). I was just wondering if anyone really has an idea of how optimistic the speedo is?

Also, what is a good GPS that does speed calculations for the bike? I know that is how some have dealt with off speedos on many different bikes.

·
Banned
334 Posts
My 900 Classic speedo was about 8% high. This isn't unique to the 900, most all motorcycles are the same way.

I can't think of any GPS that *doesn't* display speed. I use a Garmin Zumo 220 and it has been great for me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
at indicated 80 MPH I cover a mile every 47 seconds, which is about 76-77 MPH I THINK. Math is not my strong suit lol.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Mine was off 4 mph (60 indicated, 56 actual). Changed pulleys and now it's off the other way (60 indicated, 63 actual). Actual speed was measured by a radar speed limit sign.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mine was only about 3mph high at 60-70mph. I changed to a 200 rear tire and now it's within 1-2mph, close enough that I consider it "accurate" and don't worry about it anymore. All my speeds verified by a Garmin Nuvi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 900 custom se was off...from what I recall it was off by 3-5 mph. If my speedometer said 60, I was around the 56 mph range. But I bought the Vaquero and it is dead on according to my police department's traffic officer...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Mine varies by speed. It's more off at low speeds than high speeds.

Do you have a smartphone with a GPS? There's actually a speedometer iPhone app that I used to gauge mine.

I just run the indicated speed limit or at most 5 over and know that I'm not really speeding.. Doesn't bother me much. But in my experience, running with a GPS, the speed difference varies through the range of speed, anywhere from 2 to 6 miles per hour off, being closer to actual at higher speeds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to worry about the 'optimistic speedometer', but I tend to travel just a bit faster than the rest of the traffic. That way I don't get hit, but I don't attract too much attention from the boys in blue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
my 06 classic with stock pulleys/tire size is about 4-5 mph off,meaning if speedo reads 70 mph I am actually running 65-66 mph(checked alongside cars,other bikes(Harleys) and those auto speed readers that the Police setup on the side of the road. I read on a post here that that was taken care of on the 09-10 and up vulcan 900's,but can't attest to the truth in that. I have checked that at all different speeds and still the same.I know it'll falsify actual mileage use but I am used to it and plan on having the bike for a long time(4 years now with " 50,000" miles put on so far)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts