Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. My bike gets a wobble when I let go of the handle bars at about 45mph. Been doing it since I bought it. I adjusted the air pressure but no success. I don't think the front tire is cupped. (And the rear tire is in alignment with hash marks). Starting to think my front spokes aren't tightened even? Has anyone ever had there front wheel true'd? What was the cost? Or did you do it yourself? Also how often do the inspect? And how? This is my first sled with a spokes rim.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Never checked on my 800 with spokes until I had to replace the rear wheel due to loose spokes oblonging the holes in the rim. If you have the tool kit that comes with the bike, you should have a spoke wrench in it. Lift the wheel off the groung and tap the spokes with the wrench, should get a good twang from them. If its a dull sound, that spoke is likely loose. Do a you tube search for spoke adjusting and watch a couple vids. Or can take to a shop you trust. Depending on your area, around $100 to do a wheel around here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
They dont acually become untightened, but they do stretch causing them to be loose. Every time you hit a bump that causes the suspention to move up and down, the spokes take the pressure 1st. And the spokes go through being stretched and loosened as the wheel turns. The spokes on the bottom of the wheel at any given point carry no load, but the ones on the top of the wheel carry all the load on that wheel.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That wobble is a common thing in motorcycles, especially the larger ones. I include the 900 in the "larger" category because of its size and weight.

The source of that wobble is likely a product of improperly torqued steering head bearings or worn steering head bearings. A second source is a bad tire. I had that problem with an '05 Gold Wing I had. Right out of the box it had that wobble. I cured it by installing a set of All-Balls tapered steering head bearings and making sure they were properly torqued. I also found that the nuts holding the bearings down were so loose as to be finger tight!! :eek: No wonder it wobbled. The second time I had that problem was when I put on a set of new tires. It was tracked down to a bad rear tire. Apparently a defective belt in the tire itself, and I got a brand new tire for free to replace it. The bad one had 1500 miles on it with no cupping.

A third, but much less likely source of the problem would be loose swing arm bearings that need to be retorqued and/or the swing arm realigned. This is highly unlikely, however, and I would pursue checking out the steering head bearings. A loose spoke(s) would not cause a wobble unless almost all of them are ready to fall out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts