Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bandit's GIVI V46 top case will handle 21lbs., and between commuting with a loaded pack and running errands I bump up against that regularly. And since I'd like to continue putting everything into a single pack for my commutes, I'm hoping the Voyager's top case/tour pack can handle this much weight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've carried more than 20 lbs on several occasions with no problems. On a 5-day 1500 mile trip we had all 3 bags packed to the gills plus a bag on the luggage rack that weighed at least 15 lbs and my wife was leaning against the thing the entire trip. Still no issues after 27k miles.

I can't imagine over loading the top case with normal riding gear items. Now if you're going to be hauling bowling balls you may have a problem ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd never take much notice of the manual's "butt covering" weight limit... Heaviest thing I've ever carried in my trunk is a car battery, but there have been numerous trips to the supermarket for boxes of beer & other weighty items. I've never heard of a trunk or bags being damaged through overloading, but there comes a point when the load distribution will either effect handling, find the limit of your suspension, or point your headlight too high for oncoming drivers.

When they're packed too tight, the bags & trunk will leak water inside in inclement weather anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
for short trips and single rider, overload on the bag weights, yeah.
with two up and gear, the GVWR can easily be exceeded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - very helpful info. I just weighed my backpack I put in my Givi loaded with the stuff I usually commute with, and it's actually a good bit under 21lbs., so I should be okay. As Peg pointed out, there comes a point where handling is compromised so I wouldn't want to put too much stuff back their anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I always have the trunk loaded and rack loaded when I go anywhere.

But I did have the rear hinge side of the trunk box lid crack one day with about a 3 inch crack when the wind whipped the lid open so hard it caused the side of the trunk to fold inward some when the safety cable stopped it and made a crack along the side of the lid hinge. Fixed with the ABS plexi fix. Cant tell it ever cracked and with added reinforcement pieces it will never do it again. Thinnest trunk material I ever had on any motorcycle I ever owned.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I always have the trunk loaded and rack loaded when I go anywhere.

But I did have the rear hinge side of the trunk box lid crack one day with about a 3 inch crack when the wind whipped the lid open so hard it caused the side of the trunk to fold inward some when the safety cable stopped it and made a crack along the side of the lid hinge. Fixed with the ABS plexi fix. Cant tell it ever cracked and with added reinforcement pieces it will never do it again. Thinnest trunk material I ever had on any motorcycle I ever owned.
I've wondered myself about whether I could rig up a second safety cable at the rear of the trunk to even up the load. But I couldn't think of an easy way to do it that wouldn't give me something else to make sure was tucked in when it closes, or which got in the way when loading it.

It certainly does flex alarmingly if I open it right up with something still strapped to the luggage rack though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts