Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water wetter says one ounce per quart.The 1700 has only 2.5 quarts of antifreeze. Is adding only 2and half ounces going to do anything?? Or do you need to flush and refill to gain an advantage.Just trying to reduce some heat without too much hassle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think you add water wetter to the existing antifreeze. I think you flush, fill with water and antifreeze mix (70/30 has been mentioned) and add the water wetter to this new mix.

Depending on where you live the 70/30 mix may be a problem if it gets cold.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I don't think you add water wetter to the existing antifreeze. I think you flush, fill with water and antifreeze mix (70/30 has been mentioned) and add the water wetter to this new mix.

Depending on where you live the 70/30 mix may be a problem if it gets cold.
Water Wetter is made to be mixed with the antifreeze and water. Engine ice is the replacement coolant that can be substituted for the antifreeze and use the 70/30 mix.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
This subject opens a whole can of worms about the process of heat removal. I am saying that to do it correctly you need to put a BIGGER radiator on any motor. Ok, so now the flame wars begin anew.
I'm tempted Ponch but I'm not going to do it.:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some believe water wetter works and some do not. I use it and it does help. I used 1 oz. per quart and mixed it with a complete new mizture. It takes longer for the engine to reach operating temperature and it does run just a little cooler. The fan runs for a shorter time than without water wetter. As Poncho states the cure is a larger radiator but for me that is not an option. I give water wetter a thumbs up for what it does and do recommend it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
This subject opens a whole can of worms about the process of heat removal. I am saying that to do it correctly you need to put a BIGGER radiator on any motor. Ok, so now the flame wars begin anew.
I agree a bigger radiator would help if you could direct the rejected heat away from the rider. I wonder if we could fit a dual core radiator ? Same length and width, just deeper ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sometimes I think mother Kaw should scrap the water cooled thing and go to a big oil cooler and deeper fins on the motor. Perhaps bigger fins wouldn't even be necessary, the 1900 Yamaha Strat appears to do well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sometimes I think mother Kaw should scrap the water cooled thing and go to a big oil cooler and deeper fins on the motor. Perhaps bigger fins wouldn't even be necessary, the 1900 Yamaha Strat appears to do well.
I was trying to engineer a way to tap the oil system for an oil cooler but couldn't find a good spot to tap the pressurized side.

·
Registered
765 Posts
seein that the kaws use the same filter as the yam star series bikes, they make oil cooler manifolds to fit the yams. wouldnt the same fit the kaw?
Yamaha may have drilled/tapped some oil ports to accomodate an external cooler. Kawasaki doesn't have that. I looked around for an oil filter adapter base that gives you two oil ports to attach an external cooler to but the area around the filter is too small.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody check with a radiator shop to see if they could make a bigger radiator to fit the frame.Maybe just adding another core??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yamaha may have drilled/tapped some oil ports to accomodate an external cooler. Kawasaki doesn't have that. I looked around for an oil filter adapter base that gives you two oil ports to attach an external cooler to but the area around the filter is too small.
I saw an add for an inline cooler. Went in line with oil filter. Don't remember where, I will look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts