Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By looking at the oil level gauge, I thought that the oil level in the 900 Vulcan that I recently bought was too high. Today I changed the oil and filter. I made a good attempt to drain all the oil out of the bike that I could by rocking it back and forth with the oil plug out. I also poured the oil out of the old oil filter which I removed.

I collected all of this old oil and measured it. There was 4.4 Quarts of oil that I was able to capture. I probably spilled an addition 2 or 3 ounces. This would make a total of about 4.5 quarts of oil that was in the bike. I put 3.5 quarts of oil back in the bike.

Would running too much oil cause any harm? I haven't checked the air breather yet, so I don't know what it looks like, but I haven't seen any evidence of oil coming out of it. Nor have I experienced anything that would make me think the bike was not running normally.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this.

Thanks.

·
Banned
334 Posts
The 900 takes 3.4 quarts when changing the oil filter, or 3.2 quarts when not changing the filter. 4.4 quarts is too much. Check the sight glass when the bike is standing up straight, not on the kickstand.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 900 takes 3.4 quarts when changing the oil filter, or 3.2 quarts when not changing the filter. 4.4 quarts is too much. Check the sight glass when the bike is standing up straight, not on the kickstand.
That's what I did. Checked it with the bike straight up!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wow, 4.4 quarts.... I would think it would have been blowing oil out through the crankcase breather. Not sure what damage it would cause, if any, but good that you changed it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine was at least at the top of the sight glass when I got it. I figured it was close so I didn't get too worried about it. I drained, rocked and everything else at 600 miles. It ended up taking almost all of a gallon to fill it to the top mark on the sight glass. My owner's manual does not say 3.4 quarts, it says 3.9, which is 3.7 liters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
checking oil level

Checking the oil level on the Vulcan is a pain and is the one design flaw that really bugs me. It has to be exactly level or the reading is inaccurate and it's almost a 2-person job unless you have a stand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you can see it in the sight glass you are fine. Design flaw? Get a Harley. They been making them with the sight glass for all time. Just don't overfill please.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Checking the oil level on the Vulcan is a pain and is the one design flaw that really bugs me. It has to be exactly level or the reading is inaccurate and it's almost a 2-person job unless you have a stand.
Use a mirror, that's what I do. :cool:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can see it in the sight glass you are fine. Design flaw? Get a Harley. They been making them with the sight glass for all time. Just don't overfill please.

My 2005 Harley EGC has a dipstick to check the oil level. I've had numerous other Harleys that also had dipsticks. Can't recall one that had a sightglass to check the oil level.

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It doesn't have to be exactly level. Anywhere in the sightglass range is fine.

I specifically don't fill mine to the top of the sight glass because then you don't really know how much is in there. I shoot for 1/2 way up in the glass. That way if the bike isn't exactly level you still have a pretty good idea of how much is in there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh boy, I think i need to pull some oil out of mine. Just did my 1st oil change. (screw the dealer) I put a gallon of Rotella T6 in it with a new Fram filter. Think I will pull it back to 3/4 of the sight window.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh boy, I think i need to pull some oil out of mine. Just did my 1st oil change. (screw the dealer) I put a gallon of Rotella T6 in it with a new Fram filter. Think I will pull it back to 3/4 of the sight window.
To think a dealer or a professional shop would not make mistakes, especially when most are hiring young kids to do the routine tasks like oil change, would be naive.

I bought a 2008 V-Strom with 4300 miles couple of months back and it had the 4000 mile service done by the Suzuki dealer. I am looking at the receipt/work order and the oil window and the entire window is full! The oil was covering the entire window! Like this one:

I ended up test riding it that way but when I got it home, I ended up draining over half a quart of oil to make it come down to "full" line. Running the bike a little over the "low" line is way better than running it a little over "full" line, imho.

I use a rear wheel stand ($25-$50) to level the bike and also make it easier.
I initially put just 3 quarts. Let the bike run for 3-5 minutes in gear on the rear stand or ride it around for a few minutes. Then shut it off, wait like 30 minutes or so, then check the oil level again.
Bike has to be leveled on both coordinates and handlebar straight. Besides leveling the bike sideways, it also cannot be on a uphill/downhill type surface.

I typically end up putting 3.5 quarts with a new filter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My 2005 Harley EGC has a dipstick to check the oil level. I've had numerous other Harleys that also had dipsticks. Can't recall one that had a sightglass to check the oil level.
I ment all other bikes with a sight glass.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Mine was at least at the top of the sight glass when I got it.
It's not supposed to be at the top of the glass, it should be about half way between the 2 marks.

My owner's manual does not say 3.4 quarts, it says 3.9, which is 3.7 liters.
Read your manual again. 3.9 quarts is only correct when the engine has been torn down for a rebuild and it is bone dry.

The proper amount for a normal oil+filter change is 3.4 quarts, as I posted before. If you're putting in 3.9 quarts, you're using too much.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
It's not supposed to be at the top of the glass, it should be about half way between the 2 marks.

Read your manual again. 3.9 quarts is only correct when the engine has been torn down for a rebuild and it is bone dry.

The proper amount for a normal oil+filter change is 3.4 quarts, as I posted before. If you're putting in 3.9 quarts, you're using too much.
Huh, my owner's manual says 3.9 quarts and doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I've got a '10.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Huh, my owner's manual says 3.9 quarts and doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I've got a '10.
Here's a screen shot from the 2007 VN900 Classic manual downloaded from Kawasaki's web site. 3.2 quarts if you don't change the filter, 3.4 quarts if you do change the filter, and 3.9 quarts if the engine is dry.

This info is also stamped on the engine itself, near the oil filler hole, or at least it was on my '07.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I just checked the 2010 Classic LT manual and the oil change info is exactly the same as what I posted above, but it's on page 99 instead of page 87.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just for FYI, there are many threads that eccomend against Fram filters

1 - 20 of 29 Posts