Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my oil change myself this time and am a bit confused. The manual states 4.3 qts when filter is not removed, 4.5 qts when filter is removed and 5.3 qts when completely dry. When I drained everything, it looked as if there was close to 5.5 qts. With filter changhed, how many qts do you guys put in the oil case?

If possible, please respond to me by email, as I am getting the ride ready for Arizona Bikeweek and am in the garage and I can get the emails on my cellphone. [email protected]

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much Oil for the Voyager

Just want to say thanks for your replies, on the site and to my email. Now I am really confused! Have had replies that 1 guy put in 4.5 qts with filter change, another 4.75 qts and another just under 5 qts, and 1 quy put in a little over 5 qts. Well from what came out when I drained it, I will put in 5 qts.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is how I change oil in my 1700. Hot drain, remove filter, after about 5 min of draining I sit on bike and bring it up off kick stand,lean to the right a little past up right then I lean it back on the kick stand.for a moment. I do this maybe 3 - 4 times. Then I put a jack under the frame at a point where only the back of the bike lifts. I jack up bike to the point were both frame rails are touching jack bike is now level I add 4 liters of oil or 4.22 US quarts. I start bike warm it up for 5 min or so, let oil sit for another 5 min or so. Remember bike is still level ! I push dip stick in but don't thread it in pull it out and see where the oil is on dip stick now I add the length of threads to the oil. Generally at this point I add about another 3/4 of a liter oil = 8/10 of a US quart

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is how I change oil in my 1700. Hot drain, remove filter, after about 5 min of draining I sit on bike and bring it up off kick stand,lean to the right a little past up right then I lean it back on the kick stand.for a moment. I do this maybe 3 - 4 times. Then I put a jack under the frame at a point where only the back of the bike lifts. I jack up bike to the point were both frame rails are touching jack bike is now level I add 4 liters of oil or 4.22 US quarts. I start bike warm it up for 5 min or so, let oil sit for another 5 min or so. Remember bike is still level ! I push dip stick in but don't thread it in pull it out and see where the oil is on dip stick now I add the length of threads to the oil. Generally at this point I add about another 3/4 of a liter oil = 8/10 of a US quart
Leave the bike on the side stand when draining... the oil plugs are on the left side (the direction of the lean) for a reason.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Leave the bike on the side stand when draining... the oil plugs are on the left side (the direction of the lean) for a reason.[/QUOTE

Sorry raw, but if you want to drain ALL of the oil, you should follow 1st One's advice. If you don't lift the bike off the side stand during an oil change, you will leave at least a half a quart of dirt, nasty oil to contaminate that nice clean oil.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
When werkin on a customer's skoot here at my shop and incorporating an oil change in that work the first thing we do is to get the oil draining and allowing it to drain the whole time we are werkin on the skoot. This could be hours.

The more of the bad ole stuff that comes out the more of the new good stuff that gets to go in. Utilizing this method has us puttin in 5 full quarts of oil, sometimes a tad more to bring the level up to the top on the 1700's.

As has been said moving the skoot to different positions allows more oil to drain out, so just leaving it on the kickstand leaves some dirty oil in the engine.

Bottom line...the longer you allow the oil to drain and at different bike positions the more bad stuff comes out. When it's time to drain the oil on my skoots I do it when I drop off the skoot at my shop, that way it sits and drains till I come back.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with Racnray. I have done that myself and have gotten more dirty oil out by moving bike from kickstand to straight up to right. I have made a stand that hold the bike level now and leave it that way for about half hour after removing both plugs. I feel that since it is level, all the oil will drain out. After that I have put 4.5 qt of oil in and it is full. That is with a filter change too. I really cant figure out why some guys are putting 5+ qts. in. I check my oil per Kaw specs a few times after oil change and have never had to add any. Maybe their bikes are not level. Not only I use a stand to make it level. I use a level on the seat, luggage rack to make it level. Maybe someday I will have a motorcycle table that is already level to do this work.

Ray. I have read many post from you and I agree, you know your sh**

Bill

·
Registered
440 Posts
When changing my oil i just do what ray does let her drain for a long time, then i put in 5qts of ams or mobile 1 vtwin. i start her up and ride...i know whats in there. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts