Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new back tire badly. If it's the original Dunlop, it's got 8400 miles on it. Anybody have any idea what I can expect to pay for a new tire installed? There's a couple cycle shops close by, just want to get an idea what I'm lookin at. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on what you buy, and suggestion if you do alot of riding is upgrading to something better. Many of us run Metzler's.
And dealer pricing is usually higher. Compare the dealer price to what you can find online. Many sites offer free shipping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
953 Posts
A new Shinko will run $100, new Metzler/Pirelli from $145-$180. I'd check the bike shop to see if they have anything on sale.

I bought a good used Metzler off flea bay for $50.00 with free shipping. My shop charged $25.00 to mount it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A new Shinko will run $100, new Metzler/Pirelli from $145-$180. I'd check the bike shop to see if they have anything on sale.

I bought a good used Metzler off flea bay for $50.00 with free shipping. My shop charged $25.00 to mount it.
Make sure you check the date of manufacturing for the tire. All tires have a code on them. A lot of ebay tires are old.

Served in the 2nd ACR outta Fort Polk! Cheers, TOP!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know many don't care for the stock Dunlops but if you look around you can often find them cheap from people replacing them. I have not had any issue with them. On the highway or back mountain roads.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I need a new back tire badly. If it's the original Dunlop, it's got 8400 miles on it. Anybody have any idea what I can expect to pay for a new tire installed? There's a couple cycle shops close by, just want to get an idea what I'm lookin at. Thanks in advance.
"New" tire prices will very from around $100 to $400+. It's all in what you want. I would recommend ensuring you check that it's a "touring" tire. I went to a shop once (and only once) who tried to sell me a sportbike tire for the rear for $300 because it was "the best handling tire for the money." Luckily I had a smart phone and could check the reviews. The handling was because of the softer rubber gripping the road in the corners. The tire had poor longevity ratings. I asked for a touring tire, they had none, never went back.

Personally I have been running the Michilen Commander II's. So far the handling has been better than the stocks. The wear life also is great. So far I have gotten over 13K on the front and there is still grooves left in the tread. The tread depth even passed a VA state inspection at 12K. Wet weather handling has been good as well. Rear was recently installed and was $190, mounted ballanced and new tube.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I would also add that when checking prices online, talk to the shop about the mounting/balancing charges. Some shops charge 1/2 hour labor at an inflated "customer provided equipment" rate. This can cause the total price for installation to be higher than if you purchase through them. I try and order "important" items like this through the shops simply because of the warranties, parts and labor. It's a peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would also consider tire life. I switched to the Pirelli MT66 and with over 8,000 miles on it now it shows very little wear, plus no more slippy-slippy coming to a stop on wet roads like my Dunlop did. I got only about 8,000 miles total out of my Dunlop. I now have a Dunlop up front and it handles just fine with a Pirelli bringing up the rear.
Check ebay for some great prices and free delivery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i went with the metz 90/90/21 front and 200/70/15 rear. my preference. got them from denniskirk.com I got them for I think about $115 & $250. they have good prices and free shipping over $100 shop mounted for $75 cash. under the table deal. normally $75 each. got over 2k on them and they still look like the day I got them

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
+1 to talking to a local shop first. The shop I used to go to won't mount a tire they didn't sell. The one I'm using now charges $30 regardless, and his prices were within $5 of the online prices I found. But it turns out he doesn't balance them. The local Kawi dealer charges $60 and adds the price of the weights separately. So there's quite a range of 'extras' to consider before deciding where to buy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The metzeler 180's are about $180. shipped from the motorcycle superstore.com, the 200's are about $70. more, and only an inch thicker, is that worth the price?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just replaced my tires last month, so it's now on it's 2nd set of Metz ME880s after the stock tires wore out at about 8k. The Metzs lasted 27k. I put on the 200/70 again 'cuz I liked the little bit wider look of it and (maybe it's all in my head but...) I also feel like maybe I have a little bit wider contact patch with the road and feel just a little more secure on it that way. I so enjoy riding on new tires, makes the whole bike feel new all over again.

Is it worth it? To me it was. You'd have to decide how much it's worth it to you but once I put that first 200 on back 3yrs ago, I decided to keep it that way. To me it looks like it belongs on the bike. 'Nuf said.

I saw when I was searching out tire prices again that Metz also now has an ME888 version, which they claim is even more of a high-mileage tire. These were available for the front, but not in the rear size I wanted so I stayed with the 880s so both would match. The extra benefit to the higher-mileage tire is less frequent tire changes therefore less frequent taking it in and less installation costs over the life of the bike.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tire $$$

I saw a Shinko in J&P Cycles catalog very reasonable, but I don't know about that brand.They seem to have good prices on others as well. I have seen others mentioned on this forum that seemed to be a good value. Sorry can't be of more help.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tires $$ ME 880

I have been running the Metzler 880 since I first read about it years ago. I have 15,000 on a set now and the front isn't half worn out, but the rear is just over half. I like them very much, certainly they are not the cheapest, and I have seen where some riders are having problems with balancing the newer tires. The last set I bought has a lot of weight on the rear. I didn't notice just how much until I got it home and washed it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. Found a Shinko for $115 plus $65-$75 for mounting, depending on if they have to drop the exhaust. Will probably go this route for now. Have heard good things about the Shinkos from other sources too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Shinko Tour Master on the rear and a stock Dunlop on the front. They were both new when I bought the bike and I have 11000 miles on those tires. The front could go another thousand miles. But the rear is to the wear marks I just ordered Pirelli Night Dragons for the front a rear. Can't wait to try them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts