Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 900LT just passed the 15,000 mile mark when I put it away for the winter. Spring is just around the corner, so one of the first things I'll need to do is take care of the valve clearance check. Just for fun, I stopped in at the Kaw dealer to see what the book price was on this service. They wanted $399 for this.

If I had more time/confidence/skills I'd try it myself. I don't mind doing my own oil changes and other small things, but I'd rather have this done by someone who really knows what they're doing with it. I'm still going to check with another shop that I know and trust too, but I was just wondering what others have paid for this service elsewhere. Anyone got any stories to share?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
My 900LT just passed the 15,000 mile mark when I put it away for the winter. Spring is just around the corner, so one of the first things I'll need to do is take care of the valve clearance check. Just for fun, I stopped in at the Kaw dealer to see what the book price was on this service. They wanted $399 for this.

If I had more time/confidence/skills I'd try it myself. I don't mind doing my own oil changes and other small things, but I'd rather have this done by someone who really knows what they're doing with it. I'm still going to check with another shop that I know and trust too, but I was just wondering what others have paid for this service elsewhere. Anyone got any stories to share?
Wow, my inline 4 cyl, Fi and watercooled sport bike cost $270 including a full service ... I think i would be shopping around.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am in southeastern Pa. My dealer charges about $270.00 plus tax and parts for the service check and a valve job. It usually comes in at about three hundred. Your quote seems way out of line to me.

Also, I have an 09, 900 classic. In my owners manual it says check valves at every 42,000 km or 26,000 miles not 15,000 miles. I know there has been some lengthy discussions about this as per year etc, but that is what is says in my owners manual.

I went a step further and checked with my dealer and they confirmed, valves do not need to be checked on the 09 until 26,000 miles or 42,000 km.

Hope this helps.

My two cents

·
Registered
451 Posts
For about $100 you can buy a Hot Cams valve shim kit on eBay, and for about $20 you can buy a caliper and a swivel head pencil magnet from Harbor Freight. The job will take you about two hours. The shim kit has a variety of shims over a range of sizes, and three of each size. and caliper will last the life of the bike, so it's a one-time expense. Put the shims you remove back into the kit.

It'll be easier if you put the bike on a jack or lift, so the bike is vertical instead of leaning on the side stand.

Valve shims are much easier to work with than adjusting screws. Find TDC for the proper cylinder. Mine has scribe lines on the cam sprockets. When the line is parallel to the head, that's top dead center. Measure the clearance with feeler gauge.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Local Kawasaki dealer (Ride Now Powersports) in Concord, NC quoted $220. I haven't actually done it yet, so maybe they are guessing low, but I plan to hold them to it if I can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an 09 LT. The manual says check the valves at 24k ( 15,000 miles ).
This is very interesting being mine is as quoted above. Perhaps I have a misprinted manual, but if I do the dealer says it's 26,000 miles also after checking his book. I will try to get hold of someone at Kawi and find out why the discrepancy. :confused:

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Owner's Manual that came with my 2010 900 LT has a March 2009 copyright date.

On page 83 of my VN900DA Owner's Manual, the "Periodic Maintenance Chart" suggests "valve clearance - check" at 15,000 mi. (24,000 km)

Page 109, titled "Valve Clearance", says...
"Valve and valve seat wear decreases valve clearance, upsetting valve timing.

NOTICE: If valve clearance is left unadjusted, wear will eventually cause the valves to remain partly open; which lowers performance, burns the valve and valve seats, and may cause serious engine damage.

Valve clearance for each valve should be checked and adjusted in accordance with the Periodic Maintenance Chart.

Inspection and adjustment should be done by a competent mechanic following the instructions in the Service Manual"

(I will probably go to my Kawa dealer for this. Haven't checked on this service in particular, but everything else they've done for me seems to be competitively priced.)

Right now, my bike is too new for me to be comfortable opening up the engine. Though I am mechanically inclined, I am not a "competent mechanic". I figure, if I screw up something like this, it will cost a LOT more to have a "competent mechanic" fix it...

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Mine says 26,000 miles, but it's on page 75 and the copyright date is May 2008. I'm gonna be p.o.'d if I find out mine is a 2008 model when I was under the impression I was buying a 2009.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined you can do the valves ,with a manual. Only two things to mess up 1) drop shim in motor -put rag over holes so this don't happen 2)Some have messed up o-ring for spark tube -lube it & it goes @ a angle.Even if you mess that up its cheaper to have spare on hand than to pay for the job. The rockers are spring loaded side ways so its really easy to get @ the shims

It feels good after you learn more about your machine too

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine says 26,000 miles, but it's on page 75 and the copyright date is May 2008. I'm gonna be p.o.'d if I find out mine is a 2008 model when I was under the impression I was buying a 2009.
Mine is on page 75 also with a May of 2008 copyright. When I run my vin# it is definitely an 09 bike.

The specs should all be the same. As far as I know the motor is the same for all years 2006 and on.

I'll keep digging and see what I find

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer's maint checklist also puts the valve check job at 15000 miles for all 900s. Not sure why the discrepancy either, but this has popped up on these forums from time to time.

Yes, I had a feeling the $399 they quoted me at the place I bought the bike was a bit steep. I got a great deal on the bike itself from this place, but their service prices are up there. I did my first check and oil change with them and haven't gone back there for any other service since. To be fair, I think that $399 also included the long list of things they check and adjust at the 15000 mile mark and not only the valve clearance check. Still...

I'll have to give a call to my other favorite local bike shop and ask them about it. He's always given me a very fair break on my trips to them. Very thorough too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just called a local shop, they said "6 hour job @ $60 an hour, plus parts"
So yeah.. I figure around $400. I'd do it myself if I knew what the heck I was doing.

My bike has 42,000 miles on it, bought it with 33,000 on it, PO said he doesn't recall ever having any 'major service' work done on it... sheesh.

·
Registered
941 Posts
To be fair, I think that $399 also included the long list of things they check and adjust at the 15000 mile mark and not only the valve clearance check. Still...
That doesn't mean that they will adjust them. It is a check. They might want to charge extra for the adjustment.

·
Registered
455 Posts
At slightly over 10,000 miles, I was getting Tires & spark plugs done. Only my second service trip to a dealer, and as the tank had to come off anyway, I decided to include the valve adjustment.

I felt the bike was running differently, and after the service, I was right. One valve did need adjustment.

I did have a problem, in that one of the 0 rings was not re-seated properly. So, I had an oil leak out of the vent hole on the jug. Was going crazy till I found another post on this site regarding that problem (It was a sunday)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My '07 manual says 15,000 miles. Those of you telling us your manual say 26, check again. Mine reads 24(15). If you check the legend it reads "km x 1000 (miles x 100). So my manual reads "every 24,000 kilometers" or "every 15,000 miles."

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't get mine checked(by my own mechanic) till around 31,000 miles and he said very,very minor shimming was done on the intake valves. He charged me $80.00 He said whatever your doing,keep doing it...I have run 10/40 amsoil since 4,000 miles

·
Registered
138 Posts
My '07 manual says 15,000 miles. Those of you telling us your manual say 26, check again. Mine reads 24(15). If you check the legend it reads "km x 1000 (miles x 100). So my manual reads "every 24,000 kilometers" or "every 15,000 miles."
Mine says,"Every 42,000 km or 26,000 miles." The dealer agrees.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know what the manual says, I was only stating when I got mine checked and at 31,000 miles and there was very minimum adjustment needed...so I believe that although kawasaki recommends it at a certain time frame, unless you hear a louder than usual "kawasaki tick" and you run a cheap oil in your bike, the valve adjustment check can go twice what is recommended. Again,this is only my opinion from personal experience.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, this one had a happy ending for me. The dealer had quoted me $399 for the valve check. So I took it to my favorite trusted small wrench shop. I had them check the valves—turned out no adjustment was necessary, and while they were in there I had 'em replace the plugs with iridiums I provided them and they fixed a minor coolant leak from a hose that needed tightening. They always look everything else over too, cables, lights and whatnot (I've seen them do that even when in for just an oil change).

Total bill out the door, 2.5 hours @ 80/hr = $200. Not bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts