Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so whats normal vibration on these beasts? I didn't buy it new so don't know what it was like when it was new.
I get vibes through mirrors, hand grips, floor boards, gear lever, speedo shroud on tank gets a nice shake etc ,only at certain rev ranges, or accelerating in to high a gear. Its as smooth as silk at other times in the rev range, like accelerating from 1st gear to 2nd to 3rd etc .
I would not expect a motor this big to be vibe free everywhere but just want make sure its normal for bike.
It does have aftermarket pipes and have read some people rubber mount them like stock pipes to help there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I dont have a tach but i get some things vibrating a bit in a certain RPM range.

And, yeah, if you're trying to accelerate in too high of gear it will cause more shaking or pulsing. Vibrations aside, thats hard on the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can tell you one thing for sure. Those things are definately smoother than a nomad. See if you can find some seat time on a nomad and if you v2k vibs more, then I would say you have a problem for sure. you may be tempted to shift early do to all that power. I have found much less vibration by allowing more rpm before shifting. Hold 3rd gear to 40-42 mph before shifting and hold 4th till 50-55 before hitting 5th gear and see if that doesn't make you happier. Low rpm " lope" will make the big pistons feel like bricks bouncing around in there. A smooth roll on and slightly higher rpms before the nest gear might be the answer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I am not worried about it at all, I love the vibes from this beast. I just wanted a few other people to say "yeah no worries mate ,its normal". I don't labour the motor in too high a gear on purpose, it was just to explain the area where I get the vibes. I enjoy the foot massage from the floor boards when they kick in.
I am finding it really hard to ride this beast at speed limits, I find myself sitting 130 to 140most of time, 100kph seems like its standing still and 5th gear is just not needed till much faster. I cant imagine even needing 6 gears on this bike. The speedo looks more like a tacho the way the needle speeds up through the Ks. Seems like 0 to 100 in a few seconds and just wants to go after that.
I did the 5th gear resistor mod and it does seem to have made a difference in the lower gears for sure. This is an 06 model but seems to have given it a bit more.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Maybe I'm just not paying much attention, but I don't recall any vibration in the floorboards that I'd consider at or near foot massage intensity.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe I'm just not paying much attention, but I don't recall any vibration in the floorboards that I'd consider at or near foot massage intensity.

Yeah ditto here too.

I would suggest a thorough going over of mounts and chassis bolts to see if any have either come loose or broken. Some have reported here in other posts of chassis bolts needing re-torquing.

Re the pipes. On my 1500 intruder we went from stock to cobra slash backs. Once all the breathing and carbs were sorted the bike suffered from bad vibes. Cause was found to be a the lack of balance pipe between each exhaust pipe. Caused alot more pulsating effect the balance pipe typically smooths out. Took time to get used to but having the extra ommph was worth it.

cheers Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a lot of vibrations in the floor boards on mine. The bike has Vance& Hines powershots on it. I removed the bolts and used rubber to isolate the pipes from the frame. Vibration greatly reduced.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a lot of vibrations in the floor boards on mine. The bike has Vance& Hines powershots on it. I removed the bolts and used rubber to isolate the pipes from the frame. Vibration greatly reduced.
Mine has the Vance & Hines Power Shots as well, I am thinking that's probably what it is. Will think about a way to make up some rubber mountings.
Will check all engine mount bolts etc as well.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Mine has V&H Powershots too. Again, I don't recall any significant vibrations but I'll pay more close attention next time I drive it.

If you're talking vibration levels that make your feet or hands go numb I can say absolutely mine doesn't do that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has V&H Powershots too. Again, I don't recall any significant vibrations but I'll pay more close attention next time I drive it.

If you're talking vibration levels that make your feet or hands go numb I can say absolutely mine doesn't do that.

No it doesn't send anything numb or anything like that. I was just wondering what is normal for these bikes, that's all. I reckon its probably pretty normal.
I have started checking engine mounts, haven't done them all yet but the front engine mount was very loose, I had to remove crash bars on this bike to tighten that one due to crash bar design. I am going to go over every bolt and mount on frame.
Then I am going to use the rubber mounts from original 900 exhaust and graft them on to the non rubber vance and hine exhaust bracket and see what that does.
Will report back and let ya all know if it makes any improvement.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok latest update on this, as I said earlier the front engine mount was dead loose. Well I got stuck into it yesterday and pulled fuel tank, side covers front pulley cover etc, just so I could see everything. Well all the other engine mounts were so loose I could spin the bolts with my finger, I tightened all the mounts, all the frame bolts, and basically every nut and bolt I could find.
Front pulley is like new and tight, so no problems there.
Took it for a ride today and I am shocked at how smooth it is now, its like a different bike, I am not exaggerating, its an incredible difference, I would say 90% reduction in vibrations. Before I did this the gear lever shook so bad it was upsetting the gear change as it shook your foot so much when you changed gear. Not to mention all the other things shaking on the bike. I can accelerate now in any gear at any speed smooth as silk.
Its so good now I don't really need to bother with exhaust mounts but I might anyway.
Everyone out there that has not checked their engine mounts, CHECK THEM. You might be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Vibration

I'll have to look into that. I've been a little worried about the vibration I'm getting up around 75 when pulling into the wind. I wasn't sure if it was just being used to my smooth as silk Beemer or if it was really too much. It just seem a little too extreme for even a big Vtwin..........:confused:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I pulled out one of the motor mount bolts last weekend to install the Fatty highway bars. No doubt that one was tight.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok latest update on this, as I said earlier the front engine mount was dead loose. Well I got stuck into it yesterday and pulled fuel tank, side covers front pulley cover etc, just so I could see everything. Well all the other engine mounts were so loose I could spin the bolts with my finger, I tightened all the mounts, all the frame bolts, and basically every nut and bolt I could find.
Front pulley is like new and tight, so no problems there.
Took it for a ride today and I am shocked at how smooth it is now, its like a different bike, I am not exaggerating, its an incredible difference, I would say 90% reduction in vibrations. Before I did this the gear lever shook so bad it was upsetting the gear change as it shook your foot so much when you changed gear. Not to mention all the other things shaking on the bike. I can accelerate now in any gear at any speed smooth as silk.
Its so good now I don't really need to bother with exhaust mounts but I might anyway.
Everyone out there that has not checked their engine mounts, CHECK THEM. You might be amazed at the difference.
BINGO, nice find bud!
Good ole vee-twin thumpy thump strikes again eh. Did ya lock tight them or just just torque them up?
Ando

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
BINGO, nice find bud!
Good ole vee-twin thumpy thump strikes again eh. Did ya lock tight them or just just torque them up?
Ando
Just torqued them up, now that I know about them I will just run a spanner over them every oil change to see what they are up too. They might never come loose again, I don't know if it was like it from factory or what but man they were loose. It really is a different bike now. Its quieter as well, that vibration was kicking up quite a noise.

I'll have to look into that. I've been a little worried about the vibration I'm getting up around 75 when pulling into the wind. I wasn't sure if it was just being used to my smooth as silk Beemer or if it was really too much. It just seem a little too extreme for even a big Vtwin..........
Definitely worth giving them a check, like you say its when you put any slight load on motor it vibrates and groans, well mine did with the mounts loose. All cured now.

I pulled out one of the motor mount bolts last weekend to install the Fatty highway bars. No doubt that one was tight.
That front mount has rubbers in it, so we have rubber mounted engine, at the front anyway. Mine was loose, surprise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts