Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching and cannot find the charging power output for my 900 Classic.

Don't have any extra lights, but I do want to run two sets (driver and passenger) heated gear.

I'm going to need, maybe 180 watts max for two jacket liners and two sets of gloves.

Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
180 watts converts to 13.8 amps based on a fully charged battery of 13vdc. I would think that a constant draw of that much current plus the normal operating load of the bike would be quite a strain on the charging circuit. However, I do not know the maximum rated output of the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VStrom 650 is 420
VStar 1300 is 460
VTX 1300 is 364

One source puts the late model Vulcan 900 at 448 (just found it)

Anybody out there running spots and heated gear and stuff ?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I believe there are around 75-90 spare watts of energy. You might be able to get a little more and still keep voltage above 13 volts to keep battery up.
It is my understanding that the charging system is always producing its max output for a given rpm, and "dumping" any extra to the heat sink in the reg./rec.
You might be able to switch on/off most of the electrical load and play musical power management, not the most ideal. Possibly have your stator rewound for higher output, may not be good for the reg./rec. with the heat build up.
Just my .02

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you have the gear now, connect it up and then do a charging system voltage check.
Post back with any questions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have the gear now, connect it up and then do a charging system voltage check.
Post back with any questions.
Yeah, we have the gear. I'll install a digital voltmeter (at least temporarily) to keep an eye on the voltage.

Hey - the OEM lightbar has 70w worth of light bulbs.... so I figure I'm good for at least 70 watts.

:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
@kballowe
as a starting point:
Alternator Type is Three-phase AC w/ a
Rated Output of 32 A × 14 V @5 000 r/min (rpm)

*I never hit the 5000r/min, so the alternator never gives me 32A... but it would if necessary.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Exactly, if you are riding mostly at 3500 to 4500 rpm the alternator output is less than 32A. Even to estimate 30A at less than highway engine speed means the alternator makes 360 watts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts