Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, how many times has it happened to you?

You drop your bike while stopped or stopping. Be honest now.. it happens to us all, eventually, right?

Happened to me yesterday afternoon for the second time since I've owned it. 7 months and 9300 miles, I guess that's not too bad, is it?

First time was within the first month I had it, I was cruiseing around the backroads of the countryside and pulled up to a T intersection and stopped, put my feet down, and I can't imagine what happened, maybe a hole in the ground or whatever, but it leaned right, and got real heavy IN A HURRY and I let it lay over on the right guards. I looked around... no one anywhere to see.. GOOD! Glad I had watched Youtube to see how to pick these monsters up! I go around and lift with my legs and up she goes, and I then realize, I didn't lower the side stand..ARHHHH! so I'm trying to turn around without dropping it onto the LEFT side and steady it, climb on, and lower the side stand. Whew! Got it!!

Second time was yesterday, I was pulling up in front of my house, onto the sidewalk, coming in a little faster than I probably should have, got onto the grass and applied front brake while turning back onto the sidewalk, stopped and over she went onto the right side again. This time the guards hit concrete scuffing them a little... but I did remember to put the side stand down this time before righting the bike.
The only problem was, I had left work early to get home, two daughters and step sons, AND MY WIFE, were waiting for me, and witnessed this one!! .. and a neighbor's daugher.

The only thing my wife said was "happens when everyone is watching doesn't it"? :eek:

Do you all know there is a 'bike down' safety built in that shuts off the engine and it won't restart without turning the ignition off and on again. So, if you are in the habit of removing the key, as I am, you have to dig into your pocket, insert key, turn off then back on, to ride away.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yes I laid mine over once on the left side while I was up in the mountains a couple of years ago. My problem was I had stopped on a slope going downward on my left side which meant my left foot didn't touch ground in time. But after my friends help me to get it right side up again I noticed there was absolutely no dings or scratches. And also that's when I found out you had to turn off the ignition and then back on. That thing sure it gets heavy quickly. Hope that never happens again.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

The only problem was, I had left work early to get home, two daughters and step sons, AND MY WIFE, were waiting for me, and witnessed this one!! .. and a neighbor's daugher.

The only thing my wife said was "happens when everyone is watching doesn't it"? :eek:

I really appreciate your wife's attitude about the drop!! She sounds like a real keeper!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate your wife's attitude about the drop!! She sounds like a real keeper!!!
Her comment surprised me too! I wonder if she would have said that if she had been on the bike with me?? :rolleyes:
She is a 'keeper' for sure though.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well, I've never dropped mine, but mine is a 900! hehe. However, I've done some bone-head stuff a few times that, if it was any heavier, it'd be on it's side.

Lady I know rides a big ol softail and isn't so big herself. She must drop that thing at intersections once a month! Despite it being lowered and with a thinned seat, if she steps in a low spot... Tiiiimbbbeerrrrr

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I was pulling my 900 into the garage after washing it.
I thought the stand was down and leaned it to the left. :eek:
Even the little 900 can get heavy in a hurry!

It touched on the floorbard and bags, no damage at all.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I was pulling my 900 into the garage after washing it.
I thought the stand was down and leaned it to the left. :eek:
Even the little 900 can get heavy in a hurry!

It touched on the floorbard and bags, no damage at all.

Scott
Wife did the same thing with her 750 shadow! LOL. She got back from the MSF, was riding around in a parking lot getting comfortable and just doing fantastic. Went on for an hour or so, pulled into a parking spot, shut down the engine, swung her leg over the bike and hopped right off! (Notice a missing step?) LOL

It landed on the peg though. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you notice that this sort of thing wants to happen after you've been riding steadily for awhile? I tend to get used to the balance of the bike moving. When I drive into a gas station (for instance) I have to be extra careful because the slow maneuvers start to feel awkward.

·
Registered
169 Posts

You drop your bike while stopped or stopping. Be honest now.. it happens to us all, eventually, right?

Happened to me yesterday afternoon for the second time since I've owned it. 7 months and 9300 miles, I guess that's not too bad, is it?

First time was within the first month I had it, I was cruiseing around the backroads of the countryside and pulled up to a T intersection and stopped, put my feet down, and I can't imagine what happened, maybe a hole in the ground or whatever, but it leaned right, and got real heavy IN A HURRY and I let it lay over on the right guards. I looked around... no one anywhere to see.. GOOD! Glad I had watched Youtube to see how to pick these monsters up! I go around and lift with my legs and up she goes, and I then realize, I didn't lower the side stand..ARHHHH! so I'm trying to turn around without dropping it onto the LEFT side and steady it, climb on, and lower the side stand. Whew! Got it!!

Second time was yesterday, I was pulling up in front of my house, onto the sidewalk, coming in a little faster than I probably should have, got onto the grass and applied front brake while turning back onto the sidewalk, stopped and over she went onto the right side again. This time the guards hit concrete scuffing them a little... but I did remember to put the side stand down this time before righting the bike.

Do you all know there is a 'bike down' safety built in that shuts off the engine and it won't restart without turning the ignition off and on again. So, if you are in the habit of removing the key, as I am, you have to dig into your pocket, insert key, turn off then back on, to ride away.
I would like to have and address for this video :D

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to have and address for this video :D
I'll have my wife with video recorder in hand everytime I get home from now on, so next time, I can have my own video to upload to Youtube for all of you to see. I'm sure it would have been quite the sight. :D

My younger son-in-law said "did I just see the back wheel come off the ground?"

Even after all that, my youngest daughter still said she wants me to take her for a ride, as I did when she was younger, with other motorcycles I owned. It's probably been twenty years since I've taken her for a ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you notice that this sort of thing wants to happen after you've been riding steadily for awhile?
Doesn't it though... I haven't 'just about lost it' for 8000 miles, and now all of a sudden.. totally unexpected it was!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Twice - although it hasn't happened since I mounted the sidecar:))

·
Registered
684 Posts
Once, almost twice..

In the driveway, started the bike to warm it up, got off to get helmet, no kickstand down .... Score: broken left tail light, red face.

Stopped with some friends at a drive in for a milkshake, parked on a slightly sloped parking lot facing downhill, bike in neutral. Taking helmet off I noticed that funny feeling you get when you are stopped but something seems to be moving. At the last moment I realized the bike was rolling forward off the kick stand. Made a huge lunge, caught the bike and dropped the helmet. Score: bike saved, scratched helmet visor, strained back.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
too many times

I dropped my 1200 sporty in the driveway once after sitting on it talking to my wife for 1/2 hour and then got off forgetting to put the stand down. That was the last time I dropped a scoot....... until I bought the Voyager. Dropped it the 1st day I had it on the left side coming out of a friends driveway. I have a gravel driveway and a significant slope at my house and I have managed to drop it 3 times in the driveway and once in the garage when my foot slipped when I was backing out on the damp garage floor. So count them. Yeas that is a grand total of 5 drops. Good news is the only mark on the Voyager is a small stone bruise on the bottom of the left bag. Every drop on the Voyager was on the left side. My old worn out knees make it impossible to stand up on the slop in my driveway. I have good neighbors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So count them. Yeas that is a grand total of 5 drops.
thanks for being so honest king_arthur. We have to make light of the subject, it's as they say for retractable gear aircraft pilots..... there are those that have.... and those that will.

I still have an old photo from my aircraft mechanic days with a Cardinal RG sitting so pretty, wings level on our local runway.. with the wheels up!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I try to drop mine on a pretty regular basis. Never gone over, thank God, but been really close a time or two. Hadn't had the Vic a week the first time I tried to drop it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Was riding my Suzuki Cavalcade touring with my wife on the back. Rounded the corner in a parking lot and a car was blocking the way. I stopped, started to back up and didn't notice the metal drainage grate a fewer inches lower than the pavement. Foot went down into the "hole" and the bike started to tip. Wife jumped off and I tried to hold it up. No way. Drove us both to a motel and then a cab to the hospital an hour later. Broken ankle and cast for months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been VERY fortunate not to have dropped any of my bikes over the years, but I have had to man-handle it on MULTIPLE occasions to prevent from doing so. However, I will remember these videos if/when the time comes.

I learned something else from these videos. I had no idea the "proper" way to mount a bike was from the high side. I've been doing it wrong for so long now. :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts