Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine longevity and dependability of a properly maintained 900! Anyone with 20k+ and no major problems? 50K? 100K?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I seen other threads on this but anyways....I have a 09 classic LT thats about to turn over 28k, the only thing i've had to do was change the oil and the tires without any issues at all and she's still running strong.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Run amsoil 10/40 and besides other regular maint.(tires,battery,plugs,etc.) have had only the stator go bad at 26,000 miles and have also had the mechanical seal for the water pump needing replaced. And am at 52,000 miles now and bike runs great

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm at 29,300. Only thing that went bad was my fan. Other than that it's oil, filters, and tires! Still runs great!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Gas, oil and tires. One set spark plugs at 15K, valve adjust at 15K. No problems and running strong at 23K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not enough here either. My 2007 has just over 31,000. My only problem was the stator had to be replaced in 2010. Other than tires and fluids, she is good to go! Took her for about 60 miles yesterday, it was almost 40 degrees out. Spring is on the way!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There's a couple on this forum who have broken 100k. One reportedly has never even done the valve adjustments. Not recommended, but it just goes to show, these are reliable engines! I fully expect a well maintained 900 to cross over 100k without needing any major repairs. Just keep the oil changed, store it properly in the off season, and she'll treat you well.

Bought mine with 9k, rolling over 13k now, she's just a baby. People have their complaints about the 900, mostly stemming around it being a 900 (in other words, under powered, that sort of thing), but I doubt reliability will ever be one of them. Between this, and other forums, I just have yet to hear of anyone with catastrophic failures or any serious repairs being needed, outside of a wreck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At around 35,000 miles on my 2007 900 Custom. I've replaced both tires, both sets of brakes and the stator (natch). I use Rotella Full Synthetic oil and my engine runs as smooth as it did the day I bought it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bought spock on Oct. 4th. He is a 2009 classic brand new left over stock. As of today has 1,015 miles on him. Did get my class M until the end of october so I didn't have much of a fall to get miles in, but with how the winter has been here in St. Louis I get him out at least once a week. I actually have him out today because its supposed to be about 60 when I get off work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
1407 miles on the '11 Custom. Bought new last August. Currently in storage. Iowa winter :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts