Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 with only 10,000 miles and wondering what I can expect out of it. It is never 'abused' as those days are over for me. I was an auto tech for about 17 years so I know the importance of proper maintenance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just crossed the 10,000 mile mark on my '12 Classic. No problems and just scheduled maintenance. Still on OEM tires too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
07 Classic with 23,700 miles....replaced a stator at 22,500 and a throttle cable so now ready for another 50K. There is a guy on here that recently went over the 200,000 mile mark with normal maintenance and still going. There is a good chance that you will need a stator within the first 30,000 miles on your 07 so be ready for that but otherwise just ride the wheels off it and change your oil and air filter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
12500 On my "07" 900 C. Replaced throttle cables and then, about two years later (2014) , replaced the original tires with Michelin Commander
II's and the OEM stator at 11000 miles, with a Rick,s stator. I also added the Kuryakin Volt Meter for, hopefully, a warning should something be failing with the charging system. This bike really runs well. I couldn't be happier. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I have many years to go on my 900. My only concern is getting stuck somewhere when the stator goes bad. It seems anytime after 10k mile, you never know when it's going to go. Seems like pretty low miles to have such a component go bad.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Vulcan 900...its mostly the 06's and 07's but any stator can fail. I was considering doing mine before it failed since it is not that big a job but before I could order one it went out. I'm glad it did since now I don't have to worry about it when I'm on a road trip. The Ricks stators are supposed to be good for a long time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With almost 11k miles on an 07, time for some preventative maintenance. We will often do a 100 mile ride on the spur of the moment and I don't want to get stuck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got 3,500 miles on my 2014 so far. Bought it in early April. I haven't been able to ride it quite as much as I would like to due to all the rain we've been having. :thunder: :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
With almost 11k miles on an 07, time for some preventative maintenance. We will often do a 100 mile ride on the spur of the moment and I don't want to get stuck.
I hear you on this one. Tomorrow I am heading to the Grand Canyon North Rim
on a last minute ride and I would not want to have a problem....300 mile round trip. Its too easy and cheap a repair to not just fix it before it leaves you stranded or worse yet out of town and having to tow it to a dealer who will throttle you for over $700 to repair it. I bought my Ricks stator off ebay for $134 shipped and got a case gasket at Kawasaki for $20. I consider this a cheap repair and good insurance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
coming up on 12k 09 custom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just rolled over 20k miles, and counting on my 2009 vulcan 900 custom special edition. Aside oil change and tires.. Only problem I had was rode it on a 2500 mile round trip and 1000 miles into it the shifter lever was sticking, pulled apart and had to grease it, aside of that no problems!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got 8700 on my 2012 VN900D and have replaced both tires so far. The weather here in upstate NY hasn't cooperated as much as I'd have liked but I'm still getting some riding in from time to time. No problems with mine up to this point other than the tires. Replaced the Dunlops with Metzler 888's and I like them much better than the OEMs. I wouldn't mind having a luggage rack and engine guards and maybe different grips that don't make my hands black if I'm not wearing gloves, and maybe some lowers. But all in all, it had the most for the money I spent compared to other bikes. I really wanted a Triumph Bonneville T100 but out the door it was the same price as my 900 LT, and the LT had saddle bags, sissy bar and a windscreen while the Bonnie had nothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Now a days... bikes should easily make 100,000 miles with proper care...

There's quite a few ZRX1100 and ZRX1200s on the zrxoa with well over 100,000....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts