Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize mileage may vary a bit, but I am curious. At what mileage did you replace the original Dunlop tires on you're 900? And was because of extreme wear, or was there another trigger that made you change. Also, what did you change to, and was it better.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I milked mine for 10k, shoulda changed them at 8k... mostly due to wear, but the front had developed dry rot cracking in the sidewall.

·
Registered
742 Posts
mine had dry rot/cracking when i bought it at 1106 miles!?!? pretty sad... i've got almost 5500 on them now.

·
Registered
782 Posts
10k on the rear
15k on the front (mainly because I learned to up the pressure for longer tire life)

I am now at about 8k on the rear Metzler ME880 and it barely looks worn compared to the original Dunlop at that stage. I am guessing at a new tire in the 15-20k range on the Metzler rear. Some of this is because I keep the pressures higher than the manual states. But more of it has to do with the Metzler tire compound. Just better by far than the Dunlops.

·
Registered
213 Posts
changed the rear at 10+k, mainly because of wear, but I think it had a little life still. Changed for bridgestone excedra. Front tire still stock at 22+k miles. Soon I 'll replace the front tire and I believe that the rear tire still have a couple more k miles on it.
I'm putting 40 on the rear and 36 on front.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I changed my rear at 8800 ('07 Custom). There was no tread on the center of the tire and when we took it off it was paper thin there. Should have changed it at 6000 but got sick at the thought of a new tire every year!. Metzler ME880 has 12500 on it right now and I don't expect to change it before inspection next year.

Front Dunlop got around 12k and the Metzler doesn't show any signs of wear after 9k.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Rear tire @ 5800, front tire the next week @ 6000. I was close to the wear bars on the rear but it was getting really loose on hot pavement as well as the usual things that plague us with the Dunslops. I would have replaced them both at the same time but they were out of the front tire. It also had dry rot cracks on the front.

·
Registered
976 Posts
7500 rear, 12,500 front. dunflop
7500 rear, 12,500 front. Metzler Much better handling
18,500 General Altimax swapped rims, still had tread.
12,500 Pirelli rear on the front but a flat tire screwed up the tire, still had 5 millimeters tread on it.
On the new Altimax and a normal 12,5 metzler on the front at this time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
7500 rear, 12,500 front. dunflop
7500 rear, 12,500 front. Metzler Much better handling
18,500 General Altimax swapped rims, still had tread.
12,500 Pirelli rear on the front but a flat tire screwed up the tire, still had 5 millimeters tread on it.
On the new Altimax and a normal 12,5 metzler on the front at this time.
How many miles do you have on your bike?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I'm glad you asked that. I've got about 3600 on my bike, and the rear tire appears to be getting a little thin. Not sure how much more I will be getting out of them, but I've already been looking. It's been hot here this summer, maybe that's eating them up. (the front tire looks good, tread-wise). I've been checking the pressure, and it's been constant at about 40 PSI, which is what it was the first time I checked it after getting it home from the dealer. I guess I can get to over 4k, maybe 4500, but I've been looking at Pirelli and Metzelers, seem to be the favorites from other post I've read.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My rear was completely bald at 8k and the front still had maybe anoher 1k but changed both at the same time. Very happy with the Avon brand now and not so happy with the Metzler upfront.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I changed both out at 10,300. Did spark plugs and valve clearance at the same time. One valve needed adjustment.

The Front tire was over due, wear was substantially more on the left side. Rear could have gone longer, maybe 1 -2,000 more.

I am figuring that the uneven wear is due to line of sight. You see better into a left hand turn, so you lean it over more.

My riding was probably 300 highway, 10,000 secondary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts