Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bone stock bike VN900 custom:

How many miles (or km) should I expect from Full to Empty (as soon as reserve light appears) - daily city commute only (and no long distance stuff)

How many gallons (or litres) remains in tank from Reserve to physically zero fuel remaining in tank?

When the spec. states 20L fuel tank - is this maximum capacity from full to zero fuel in tank or from full to Reserve Light?

Romper

·
Registered
536 Posts
My light comes on between 165 and 175 miles but I ride highway and backroads stuff combined...no real steady in town riding for that many miles. I do know that when I do a lot of 35 to 55 mph backroads/city riding my mileage improves. My worst mileage is when I'm cruising at 70+ mph into a head wind. I've got as low as 42 MPG in those conditions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I ride around town alot, and out some country roads, my light has only come on once cause it looks like its near empty long before it really is, so i fill up; when the light did come on i was in the 190's, i've consistently gotten 50mpg, you still have 40 miles to go when light hits. I have a k&n filter and iridium spark plugs, hence no real mods....ride on..

·
Registered
536 Posts
thanks dirtwiz -

any mods to your bike that would impact on fuel economy?

ROmper
I have a Barons overdrive front pulley and run a 170/80 rear tire for taller gearing so I think that may hurt a little on the mileage especially in wind. I also have a K&N drop in filter and stage 1 debaffle with 4 holes drilled but I don't think either of those help or hurt anything mileage or power wise.

·
Registered
847 Posts
F to E

I have gone 220 mi. before and still running. Under the same circumstances I should be able to do more to complete empty. I usually ride 180 miles and fill up approx. 3.4 gal. Hard all day long interstate riding gets about 46 mpg. avg.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I notice without the gas sucking windshield my mileage is better. YMMV
Agreed! But after 60 years plus of riding, I no longer ride without a windshield, like the AC on my pickup, more important than the box.

I have never run out of fuel on the Vulcan, thankfully, and I can depend on 180 miles, depending on traffic, wind, and terrain; but I generally need to make a personal pit stop considerably before I've covered that distance, so I just buy gas then.

Savor the journey,
Grandpa

·
Registered
90 Posts
You guys all do far better than i do. I have a 2009 lt and with bags and windshield fuel programmer new pipes and air intake i get 36.73 mpg. That hwy at 75 and around town stop and go traffic combined.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
07 Custom; shield, hwy bars w/chaps, hard bags, no performance mods. Lite comes at 185, a little more than a gal. left. I have hit 250 miles twice without running dry. Manual says 5.2 US gal. That's bone dry to full.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I consistently get about 200 miles with my all stock bike before my light comes on. That's riding around town and maybe some riding on backroads - not a lot of highway speeds. I used to get around 225 when I first got it but I think that was because I was a new rider then and much more cautious and lighter on the throttle. Furthest I've ridden before the light was about 250 miles, and that was keeping at a consistent almost non-stop 40-45 mph on the Blue Ridge Parkway with non-ethanol fuel. Interestingly, I was riding in California this summer with a group and we all got consistently poorer range (me around 150-160 miles) before needing to fill up. As soon as we got to Oregon mileage went up. Maybe the fuel additives there?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all of your responses.

I have just finished my first fuel burn test.

I rode 263km (163 miles) before my light came lit up. I then rode for about another 6 miles (10km) before I filled up - with 15.7L.

It seems my mileage is way down on what many others have achieved and I need to ask why?

Would the inherent gauge error/defect play a part in these readings?

Romper

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Dirty plugs, dirty air filter, heavy throttle hand .... fuel mileage is subjective on this forum ... different size tires, air kits, pipes, fuel processors, windshields, fairings, bags, trailers and riding styles all play a part in fuel mileages. After a while you will get a feel for your own consumption, range etc .... fuel gauges have been notoriously inaccurate since they where invented, after all, its just a gauge ... nothing more .... and they probably are not going to get any more accurate any time soon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.