Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a second year rider upgrading from a Savage to a more comfortable bike for myself. I am 6'2 190lbs, and will be making a daily commute of around 20 miles to and from work. The ride to work is too nice not to have a motorcycle. I have my picks narrowed down and want your input. I have found a Vulcan 900 with just under 19K on the clock. It sounded fine from what I could tell (too much snow on the road to test ride it today). Is this too many miles or should I look for anything in particular on this bike?

Full disclosure.. Also to round out the last motorcycles standing on my list besides the Vulcan are 07 Sportster 1200C 3400 miles, and 2010 Honda 750 Shadow Phantom 2300 miles.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
19k miles? You mean they're selling it before they even got it broken in?

If you don't get 150k out of a Vulcan 900 you weren't changing the oil or you rode it wrong! These bikes are bulletproof. We have a member who was pushing 200k, had never done the valve maintenance (supposed to be done every 15k), and was still running strong. Failing to do the valves DID eventually result in a burned valve, but had he been adjusting them he'd have gone even farther before doing any serious maintenance!

The only issue is the stator. If you do the work yourself, it's around $200 to fix. The stator is known to fail as early as 15k, as late as 50k. Really no telling. The stator issue is mostly with the 06 and 07 models, though. But, I wouldn't let that stop you. Didn't stop me. I figure, $200 to replace the stator (which I did have to do) is cheaper than all the maintenance and repair I'd have to do on another bike!

Here's a similar thread from a few days ago;

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35610

Maybe I'm naiive but I don't get where this whole idea that 20-50k on a bike is all you get? I ride 15k+ a year, at that rate I'd be buying a new one every year! Oh well, it's at least not true of the Vulcan 900 I can tell ya that much!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
it all comes down to maintenance and how well the bike has been looked after .... at
20k bike well maintained to me is better than a abused bike with 5k.
To me, the shadow, you will grow out of quicker than the savage, i have no comment on the HD other than maintainence / shop costs.

For bike size, power, ridability, comfort and cents per mile costs, the "9"is a good buy , worried about the miles,look for something with less miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After reading both of your post, as well as the link Romans5.8 left, I feel much better about it now. Thank you for the reassurance.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I've got 19000 miles on mine and wouldn't hesitate to go cross country tomorrow. Plus, the 900 is on a large frame. You may be more comfortable on it than the others considering your height.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got 19000 miles on mine and wouldn't hesitate to go cross country tomorrow. Plus, the 900 is on a large frame. You may be more comfortable on it than the others considering your height.
I can def. agree with this statement. When I was bike shopping, I sat on a Honda 1300C, a Yamaha 1100, and my 900C. Even though the 1100 had a larger motor than the 900, I did not fit. Apparently, Yamaha uses the same frame from their smallest cruiser up to the 1100 or something like that. I was trading in my VN750 and the Yamaha felt too much like it. I would have bought the 1300C, but someone installed a hypercharger and I didn't like it. I always wanted one, but not now. Plus, it had some seriously load pipes, OMG!

I am super happy with the 900. I even got to street race it the other night. Totally smoked a Dodge Ram of sorts. We were neck and neck up until 80 MPH, then I flew by him. Doing 100 before the next intersection. Had fun before the intersection, bout got ran off the road afterwards by someone crossing both lanes while turning onto my road. No worries, I was back down to the speed limit before then. Flipped the dude off and at the next i-section, he proceeds to tell me to never flip him of blah blah blah. I just rev'd the bike some so I wouldn't have to listen to him. As Kawasaki says, "Let the Good Times Roll". :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am 6'2" and 200. It fits me like a glove, my o6 900 classic that is...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've got nearly 30k miles on my '07 Custom. I had it out last weekend and it still starts and runs like the day bought it. I'm one that spent $300 replacing the stator but honestly I've never regretted buying this bike. At 6'0", 200 lbs, this is the most comfortable bike I've ridden.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Having owned a 750 shadow,a vulcan 800,900,and sportster 1200 with fuel injection, the vulcan 9 is the best.The pegs do cause a bit of leg stretch for shorter riders, which is good for you.The shadows are gutless.No power at all.The sportster has an evo engine, which is good, but the worst rear shocks in the motorcycle industry.They live up to their name, rear shocks you will feel to your spine with every bump.Plus harley guys say you ride a girls's bike.At 600 pounds the 9 is very maneuverable but not too light.I think you would love it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
WOw I bought my 06 with 30k on it and I didn't blink an eye. low mile bikes scare me

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
Having owned a 750 shadow,a vulcan 800,900,and sportster 1200 with fuel injection, the vulcan 9 is the best.The pegs do cause a bit of leg stretch for shorter riders, which is good for you.The shadows are gutless.No power at all.The sportster has an evo engine, which is good, but the worst rear shocks in the motorcycle industry.They live up to their name, rear shocks you will feel to your spine with every bump.Plus harley guys say you ride a girls's bike.At 600 pounds the 9 is very maneuverable but not too light.I think you would love it.
I totally feel the same as you about my 9, but I also have a 750 Shadow and I have to give it credit too. It is a bit short on leg room, but I did buy it for my wife. But I have to say that bike has plenty of power. The previous owner even changed out the sprockets and chain to a taller set for highway running and the bike still has plenty from take-off, plus it will run 80 mph all day long on the interstate (or until it needs gas since the tank is so much smaller than the 9). That's another selling point for the 9 vs the HD or the Shadow. The 9 has a huge tank by comparison. 19k miles isn't even close to broken in yet as Romans pointed out. Enjoy the ride whatever you decide! (get the Vulcan) :D Ride safe

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am proud to own an '07 9 custom with 27k on it. And 21 was put on in the last year. If the previous owner kept service records for you, I'd go for it. The bike will run forever and the small bits of service it will need are either easy enough to do yourself, or cheap enough to take to a non-stealership.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 900 will be the biggest and most comfortable of the 3. And, dare I say, the most reliable, since nothing ever really goes wrong with them. Also, the least expensive on regular maintenance. You ride it, change the oil, and adjust the valves every 15k. Outside of that you put new tires on it. The 9 also has a 5.3 gallon gas tank, which I believe is best in class.

The Sporty will be the most powerful (that 1200 is a scrappy li'l guy), but will require the standard 3-fluid service that is normal for Harley (crankcase, transmission, and primary), resulting in higher regular maintenance costs. Most guys swear the 883/1200 is really reliable, but I've never personally known a long-term owner. It's also the only air-cooled bike in your trifecta. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned, but you may want to consider it. The sporty is also noticeably shorter in length and narrower with a much smaller gas tank (3 gallon? Not much more than that), resulting in a more cramped riding position and much shorter fuel range.

and I gotta give Honda credit for the quietest running and the smoothest transmission, but it is also much physically smaller than the 9. And while I haven't ridden a fuel-injected 750, my wife's '09 Spirit, while plenty snappy, is noticeably less powerful than a 900. And again, you'll suffer from little-gas-tank syndrome (big deal for me, maybe not for others). Great bike, but I think the 9 is a better one.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The 9 also has a 5.3 gallon gas tank, which I believe is best in class.
I had a 2007 spirit and quite happy with the 900 tank size and power delivery in comparison. I do miss the 750 though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 96 800a with 44 k on it runs strong super clean bike had my reservations about the miles but i love this bike found out they guy owned it for 10 years never did a valve adj so thats next on the list

1 - 19 of 19 Posts