Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just installed my V&H Twin Slash Staggereds and they sound amazing. :D But I had to know what they sounded like with no baffles. So if anybody ever wondered this is what they sound like with no baffle.:eek:

http://youtu.be/1q_9XEF4In0

This is my friend on my VN900 demoing it for me. In that video he never really got on it and it was still crazy loud. I had to put them back in, my ears started to hurt after 30 minutes of riding it at slow speeds.

So does anybody rock pipes that loud all the time or is it just too loud?

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's never too loud :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never been a fan of the "Hardly Davidson - My Dick Is Too Small" loud pipes. Ugh. I don't mean pipes you can just hear. I mean pipes that make conversation inside my house impossible when you ride by. That is WAY too loud. And likely breaking some sound ordinances.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Pretty loud!

I like loud pipes. But I've got a buddy with a 106 inch Victory and little short homemade straight pipes. He thinks they look good; they don't. He thinks they sound good; they don't. They DO however, leave you in pain if you're too close and tick off everyone he rides by! To each their own I guess!

To me pipes are like hot sauce. Hot sauce should be hot- that's the point. But it's also gotta have flavor. Making it hot just to make it hot and making it so hot it's not enjoyable; all the while eliminating the flavor, is just silly. Likewise, you can add a bunch of flavor but it not be hot and CALL it hot sauce, but it's not. Gotta find the balance!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
If I can't have a conversation with you standing beside your bike at idle without shouting at the top of my lungs, it's TOO LOUD.
If I can't hear my TV in my house, or the stereo in my truck as you pass by it's TOO LOUD.
If you leave early for work every morning and start finding your driveway salted with nails, perhaps your pipes are TOO LOUD.
There is a difference between an authoritative rumble and LOUD. I like rumble, loud is just annoying. Hell, I've got a lawn mower that can be loud, I don't find it impressive either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pretty loud!

I like loud pipes. But I've got a buddy with a 106 inch Victory and little short homemade straight pipes. He thinks they look good; they don't. He thinks they sound good; they don't. They DO however, leave you in pain if you're too close and tick off everyone he rides by! To each their own I guess!

To me pipes are like hot sauce. Hot sauce should be hot- that's the point. But it's also gotta have flavor. Making it hot just to make it hot and making it so hot it's not enjoyable; all the while eliminating the flavor, is just silly. Likewise, you can add a bunch of flavor but it not be hot and CALL it hot sauce, but it's not. Gotta find the balance!
Well said.

I always thought I would love loud pipes. I was wrong. Sure they sound cool. For about three minutes. Then they really start getting to you. My bike came with cobra speedster longs. I like the look. But I can't ride for more than 10 minutes without ear plugs. On a longer trip, earplugs are mandatory for me.

I looked in to the so called "quiet baffles" but have heard they really don't do much to quiet them down. I will try titanium wrapping the baffles one day.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well said.

I always thought I would live loud pipes. I was wrong. Sure they sound cool. For about three minutes. Then they really start getting to you. My bike came with cobra speedster longs. I like the look. But I can't ride for more than 10 minutes without ear plugs. On a longer trip, earplugs are mandatory for me.

I looked in to the so called "quiet baffles" but have heard they really don't do much to quiet them down. I will try titanium wrapping the baffles one day.
Here's my take on ear plugs:

The only one they help is the one who has the power to control the loudness of the bike. If your bike is so loud that even you can't tolerate it, it's too loud. Everyone you ride by (or in front of) has to listen to the utter awesomeness of your beastly power machine, but not you. The vast majority of the public at large is not impressed by your earth shaking two-wheeled monstah, they're annoyed by it. And you know this, because you are, too, as evidenced by your use of hearing protection.

Now, my little rant is tempered by the fact that you obviously know (and want to do something) about the loudness of your pipes.

P.S. I wrapped my baffles in fiberglass muffler packing stuff, and the effect was minimal at best. My pipes are kinda loud (Hard Krome straights), and I'm looking for quieter baffles for it. The HKs are expensive and the Smart Partz get kinda mixed reviews.

·
Registered
507 Posts

The only one they help is the one who has the power to control the loudness of the bike. If your bike is so loud that even you can't tolerate it, it's too loud. Everyone you ride by (or in front of) has to listen to the utter awesomeness of your beastly power machine, but not you. The vast majority of the public at large is not impressed by your earth shaking two-wheeled monstah, they're annoyed by it. And you know this, because you are, too, as evidenced by your use of hearing protection.

Now, my little rant is tempered by the fact that you obviously know (and want to do something) about the loudness of your pipes.

P.S. I wrapped my baffles in fiberglass muffler packing stuff, and the effect was minimal at best. My pipes are kinda loud (Hard Krome straights), and I'm looking for quieter baffles for it. The HKs are expensive and the Smart Partz get kinda mixed reviews.
I agree. However, the term "loud" by itself is subjective. For me personally, I think my bike is too loud. Others that I ride with have said it is fine, others that have ridden it said it is fine.

I may end up trying the titanium wrap as well as the quiet core baffles to see if that helps.

I wish it came with the stock pipes. I have searched on here for some, but they are too expensive. (For stock pipes). Some have given them away, others have asked as much as $400 plus shipping for the same pipes.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

I put the Cobra tri-ovals on my bike for the performance and temperature improvements.
I thought they were too loud at first but have come to like them.:)

I wear earplugs when I ride because of tinnitus.
I started wearing them on my 900 with stock pipes. Wind noise, engine noise just basic road noise builds up over time and will damage your hearing.

Wearing earplugs isn't just for those with loud obnoxious pipes.
It's about hearing protection.

Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that video got quite the reaction. I would have the agree with all of you. It is far too loud, hence putting the baffles back in. I this must be why I can't find a video of how the competition baffles sound. Anyone who has these pipes isn't really looking to make them louder. At nite I roll through neighborhoods in 3rd to 5th gear so I'm not waking everyone up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think that stock pipes are too quiet.
That said,I think most aftermarket pipes are also too loud.
People who don't ride (and many of those who do ride) are annoyed by loud pipes.
The EPA should not be so unbending on their noise restrictions so that the bike makers could add a little rumble to the sound.
You guys that sport loud pipes are being inconsiderate to the others around you and making non riders dislike bikes in general.

JJ

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree. However, the term "loud" by itself is subjective. For me personally, I think my bike is too loud. Others that I ride with have said it is fine, others that have ridden it said it is fine.

I may end up trying the titanium wrap as well as the quiet core baffles to see if that helps.

I wish it came with the stock pipes. I have searched on here for some, but they are too expensive. (For stock pipes). Some have given them away, others have asked as much as $400 plus shipping for the same pipes.
I have some stock pipes from an 09 900 Classic. Not sure on the condition, the PO of my bike had Cobra Speedster Shorts installed at time of purchase or shortly after, and they are still in a box in my trailer. I don't even know if all the hardware is there to mount them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had my vance & hinse debaffle for about 2 hours way to loud for me and I like loud pipes!! I have remove the baffle because I I'd like the way it sound with the baffle on. So I have mod it here a thread about this : http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27663

( I have done more hole at the end of the baffle ) I have a lot of compliment about the sound of my bike!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I've never been a fan of the "Hardly Davidson - My Dick Is Too Small" loud pipes. Ugh.
Well, I don't have a penis, so that doesn't apply to me. But, I don't like quiet, girly-sounding bikes. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have some stock pipes from an 09 900 Classic. Not sure on the condition, the PO of my bike had Cobra Speedster Shorts installed at time of purchase or shortly after, and they are still in a box in my trailer. I don't even know if all the hardware is there to mount them.
If he doesn't want them I'd be interested in these. I have Speedster Shorts and they are pretty damn loud.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I've never been a fan of the "Hardly Davidson - My Dick Is Too Small" loud pipes.
We have a saying here, "the louder the pipes, the smaller the wiener"

My brother in law has a Vtx 1300 with hard chrome straights, he has no wiener and neither I or anybody else will ride with him.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts