Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going on year 3 of owning my bike. It is using the same AGM battery since I got it. I have been keeping it charged all winter inside and it appears to be taking a full charge.

So what is typical life of batteries for you guys?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Don't know how long they'll last but my gel battery is treated the same way yours is and is at least that old, too. I've had zero troubles so far.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I get about 5 yrs out of all my batteries, car or motorcycle. I have always been told 2 to 5 yrs is the life expectancy if you take good care of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've favored Interstate Batteries in the car for many years, until recently. I haven't changed brands yet, but have been thinking about it. I have a Toyota and buy the more expensive MTP-24F, and have suffered 2 premature failures of this battery. Both lost a significant portion of their cold cranking amps and had to be replaced (under partial warranty). My bike battery is also an Interstate AGM battery, and I've had no trouble with it at all. I keep it on the battery tender at all times when I'm not riding. Some feel that's overkill, but I've read nothing that goes against this practice. It's 3 years old now.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I keep mine on a batter tender.

Prior to this battery, which is three years old, I didn't use battery tenders. Since adopting this practice I have zero battery issues. When I cold crank my bike it instantly starts. Never any sluggishness.

I was so impressed with the results after one year I put tenders on all of my vehicles. Battery issues have been a thing of the past since then.

Before Tender treatment I estimate about a three year battery life. In that three year life I experienced issues with the battery at times. By the third year I would put the battery on a charger to top it off to make sure it would have plenty of cranking power the next morning. Incrementally it seemed to hold less of a charge until finally it would become unreliable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've found that you get what you pay for If you buy the cheapest battery you can find don't expect much life out of it. If you buy a quality battery and I do believe the AGM batteries are worth the extra money over the standard flooded cell. I've had no experience with the gel batteries but i imagine they are pretty good. Have any of you tried the Lithium Ion batteries yet? They are pretty pricey, wonder about the quality.

Yes. I do believe in battery tenders for constant maintenance charge. I use the deltran Battery Tender Junior.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Motorcycle battery life in my 50+ years of ownership is a bit of a crap shoot. I have had cheap batteries last for more than five years and more expensive batteries die after less than two years, and also the opposite has taken place. Many different brand batteries these days are made by the same manufacturer in China, others in Mexico, etc. and are private labeled, depending up the orderers' indications.

In a former life I was a battery QA tester and RMA person, and dissecting defective batteries showed a wide variation in quality even from the same manufacturer. The most consistent and best quality batteries generally were from Japanese companies. Even their batteries which were manufactured on other companies' sites were good because the Japanese companies had QA people checking right on the manufacturing and assembly lines.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Here in the north country you dont want to go to the car after work in negative temps and have the battery crap out on you.
SO car every 6-7 years I'll replace the battery no matter the condition.

On the bike where I can push start it, I guess I dont watch the years so closely.
Which explains why the current battery replaced a 3 years old battery that refused to start just out of the blue.
IF you can go over 3 years and the battery still has good power - your doing good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts