Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm new to riding, i went down to my local kawasaki dealership and ordered the green 2015 vulcan s abs. i'm so excited, its my first bike, i've passed my safety course and written test, i'm going down to the dmv tomorrow to get my endorsement on my license, AND i have no bike to ride. its been three weeks from today and still no bike. i've contacted the dealership every week asking is the bike coming in? all they can tell me is its somewhere in the U.S. between california and chicago. THREE WEEKS and it can't get from california to chicago??? something just doesn't feel right. isn't there some kind of tracking on these things? sorry for the rant but i'm just excited to go riding and frustrated that i can't. any words of wisdom would be helpful.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Wow, bummer. I can see where you'd be frustrated. Seems odd and the dealer not being upfront with you..
I can see being low on inventory. But don't tell me it's one place, and feed me BS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do feel like it could take 6 to 8 weeks though and that would suck. in this day and age of logistics they can practically tell you where every package in the world is, just not my bike.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Every time I walk into my Kawi dealer their New 900 inventory is little to none. They just can't keep them in house for nothing, they sell that fast. So not all that surprising especially being the beginning of the riding season. You and everyone's brother wanting a new 900 will most likely be waiting. Hope it comes in soon!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it's been shipped, it definitely has a tracking number of some sort. Bug them for a tracking number and if they don't give it to you, call BS on them.

I'm a huge proponent of "I don't know, but I'll find out" being an acceptable answer, but feeding me a lie is absolutely unacceptable. So much so, that it's a complete deal breaker, no questions asked, at any dealership I go to regardless of what I may be purchasing. Unfortunately, not many companies feel the same way.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I hate lies, I would rather them tell me the truck wrecked and my bike went up in flames and we had to find another one instead of a line of BS. Major soapbox topic for me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
These bikes aren't shipped UPS. They are shipped by major freight carriers, and they wait for a 'full truck'.

I ordered my car from the factory. It sat in a huge parking lot at the factory for two weeks before it even shipped. Why? It won't ship out until they have a full load going to the terminal mine was due to go to. (by train in this case. They ship inside box cars covered in plastic to protect them from overspray from folks 'tagging' these unmarked boxcars) And then it sat at the terminal for a few days until there was enough for a full truck to take it to the dealer. Buying something online, the consumer is paying for convenience and speed. And there's a big volume. Buying a vehicle, the manufacturer is looking for the cheapest way to move it from point A to point B, which means freight trucks/trains/etc., loaded to capacity.

I bought my bike when I saw it advertised online. When I got to the dealer, they had just listed it. But they had ordered it a few weeks prior, also from California (my guess is, the port where the shipping containers from Japan come in). It was another week or so before it was at the dealership, and they assembled it the same morning. (It arrived at 7AM at the dealership and I was riding it home by 11AM the same day, but that's thanks to the dealer telling the assembly guys to stop what they are doing and put mine together when it came in. In fact they were instructed to watch for it, and assemble it immediately. This particular dealer is a huge operating with a big warehouse and about 1,000 bikes in stock. Every major brand, from H-D to KTM, Victory, Indian, you name it. They have full time employees who do nothing but assemble bikes.)

So no, that's not unusual. As to tracking? Again, consumer vs. dealer. Americans don't generally special order stuff. We tend to buy stuff "off the lot". I special ordered my car because I wanted it configured exactly a certain way, but most would rather just buy something that's already on the lot. So the tracking systems for these freight companies are not setup the same way. They aren't setup to give you minute-by-minute info. It's probably sitting at a truck depot or terminal somewhere, in a crate, waiting on a truck. It's not that the truck is going 11mph on the way here, I can almost guarantee it's sitting somewhere. And, likely, all of the tracking info they are given is "in transit". It was that way with my car. I knew when it was built, I knew when it was completed, and I knew when it had left the factory. That's the last update I got. It didn't tell me when the train arrived at the truck terminal, I don't know how long it sat there, and I don't know when it was loaded onto the truck and hauled to the dealer. I got that last update, and a couple weeks later the salesman called and it was sitting right smack in the middle of their parking lot ready for me to drive home. I don't like the way dealerships prep cars. They rush though them, marring and leaving imperfections in the paint. They used forced-rotation polishers which worked well on single-stage paints in the 70's but should not be used on clear coat paints. If your car was 'detailed' by the dealer, it likely has lots of swirls and marring in bright sunlight and was hammered with a forced rotation polisher that ate away a lot of the clear coat. So I asked them not to prep it. And they didn't! Still wrapped in plastic, they just rolled it off the truck and gave me the keys!

So, long story short, I wouldn't be concerned. Your experience sounds just like mine ordering a car which I expected talking to others who went through the same process. Some big freight company is hauling your bike the cheapest, slowest way possible. It'll get there. My car was built at Michigan Assembly near Detroit and it was 10 or 12 weeks from order placed to driving it home. 6-8 weeks doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Again, it's not FedEX!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
These bikes aren't shipped UPS. They are shipped by major freight carriers, and they wait for a 'full truck'.

I ordered my car from the factory. It sat in a huge parking lot at the factory for two weeks before it even shipped. Why? It won't ship out until they have a full load going to the terminal mine was due to go to. (by train in this case. They ship inside box cars covered in plastic to protect them from overspray from folks 'tagging' these unmarked boxcars) And then it sat at the terminal for a few days until there was enough for a full truck to take it to the dealer. Buying something online, the consumer is paying for convenience and speed. And there's a big volume. Buying a vehicle, the manufacturer is looking for the cheapest way to move it from point A to point B, which means freight trucks/trains/etc., loaded to capacity.

I bought my bike when I saw it advertised online. When I got to the dealer, they had just listed it. But they had ordered it a few weeks prior, also from California (my guess is, the port where the shipping containers from Japan come in). It was another week or so before it was at the dealership, and they assembled it the same morning. (It arrived at 7AM at the dealership and I was riding it home by 11AM the same day, but that's thanks to the dealer telling the assembly guys to stop what they are doing and put mine together when it came in. In fact they were instructed to watch for it, and assemble it immediately. This particular dealer is a huge operating with a big warehouse and about 1,000 bikes in stock. Every major brand, from H-D to KTM, Victory, Indian, you name it. They have full time employees who do nothing but assemble bikes.)

So no, that's not unusual. As to tracking? Again, consumer vs. dealer. Americans don't generally special order stuff. We tend to buy stuff "off the lot". I special ordered my car because I wanted it configured exactly a certain way, but most would rather just buy something that's already on the lot. So the tracking systems for these freight companies are not setup the same way. They aren't setup to give you minute-by-minute info. It's probably sitting at a truck depot or terminal somewhere, in a crate, waiting on a truck. It's not that the truck is going 11mph on the way here, I can almost guarantee it's sitting somewhere. And, likely, all of the tracking info they are given is "in transit". It was that way with my car. I knew when it was built, I knew when it was completed, and I knew when it had left the factory. That's the last update I got. It didn't tell me when the train arrived at the truck terminal, I don't know how long it sat there, and I don't know when it was loaded onto the truck and hauled to the dealer. I got that last update, and a couple weeks later the salesman called and it was sitting right smack in the middle of their parking lot ready for me to drive home. I don't like the way dealerships prep cars. They rush though them, marring and leaving imperfections in the paint. They used forced-rotation polishers which worked well on single-stage paints in the 70's but should not be used on clear coat paints. If your car was 'detailed' by the dealer, it likely has lots of swirls and marring in bright sunlight and was hammered with a forced rotation polisher that ate away a lot of the clear coat. So I asked them not to prep it. And they didn't! Still wrapped in plastic, they just rolled it off the truck and gave me the keys!

So, long story short, I wouldn't be concerned. Your experience sounds just like mine ordering a car which I expected talking to others who went through the same process. Some big freight company is hauling your bike the cheapest, slowest way possible. It'll get there. My car was built at Michigan Assembly near Detroit and it was 10 or 12 weeks from order placed to driving it home. 6-8 weeks doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Again, it's not FedEX!
Great insight on the experience. I know most (ME) never knew the process...
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks romans5.8, now why couldn't the dealer just tell me that and i wouldn't have to ask every week "is it there yet", "is it there yet", "is it there yet". ACTUALLY i contacted them a little while ago and this is their reply. "Motorcycle is released and on it's way from Chicago. I should know today whether we'll have it tomorrow or not. Thank you for patience and it's close!" . so weather permitting i could be riding by this weekend, fingers crossed. i knew my pissing and moaning would payoff.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
If it's been shipped, it definitely has a tracking number of some sort. Bug them for a tracking number and if they don't give it to you, call BS on them.

I'm a huge proponent of "I don't know, but I'll find out" being an acceptable answer, but feeding me a lie is absolutely unacceptable. So much so, that it's a complete deal breaker, no questions asked, at any dealership I go to regardless of what I may be purchasing. Unfortunately, not many companies feel the same way.
plus 1 ... if my dealer does not have it in stock ... its a max 24 hrs to source and pick it up from another dealer ... if your dealer is this bad now, wait till something goes wrong and wonder how long they will take to fix it.

Either they can not afford to carry reasonable inventory levels which can lead to parts supply issues down the road, or they are to lazy to call a few other close dealers ... either way, I would be outa there.

Never heard of so much crap in my life ... no wonder your frustrated.

BTW ... Cali to Chicago by truck .... 36 hrs max ...legal .... Kawasaki, Suzuki, honda etc have distribution centres in every state .... I don't buy the whole 6 to 8 weeks ... that's crap ... and believe me, I have had my fair share of bikes, both in and out of stock .... I have never waited more than 24 hrs. for one that was not on the showroom floor ... after all, my dealer knows how easy it is for me to look and buy from any other dealer inventory thru the web.

Ordering a car with particular option packages / color etc may take longer, but a stock colored non optioned bike naaaa.

I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe sport 3 weeks ago, bought it in the afternoon, picked it up the next day. If they did not have what I wanted in stock, there is another Hyundai dealer 30 mins away .... and these 2 dealers trade inventory all the time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Romans has a good point about waiting for a full truck with these items, but it should still have a tracking number on it. I've shipped car engines before and they get a tracking number the minute I get my invoice at the freight dock. It's not as detailed as something you'd buy off Amazon, but it will at least give you a general idea what the status is.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
plus 1 ... if my dealer does not have it in stock ... its a max 24 hrs to source and pick it up from another dealer ... if your dealer is this bad now, wait till something goes wrong and wonder how long they will take to fix it.

Either they can not afford to carry reasonable inventory levels which can lead to parts supply issues down the road, or they are to lazy to call a few other close dealers ... either way, I would be outa there.

Never heard of so much crap in my life ... no wonder your frustrated.

BTW ... Cali to Chicago by truck .... 36 hrs max ...legal .... Kawasaki, Suzuki, honda etc have distribution centres in every state .... I don't buy the whole 6 to 8 weeks ... that's crap ... and believe me, I have had my fair share of bikes, both in and out of stock .... I have never waited more than 24 hrs. for one that was not on the showroom floor ... after all, my dealer knows how easy it is for me to look and buy from any other dealer inventory thru the web.

Ordering a car with particular option packages / color etc may take longer, but a stock colored non optioned bike naaaa.

I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe sport 3 weeks ago, bought it in the afternoon, picked it up the next day. If they did not have what I wanted in stock, there is another Hyundai dealer 30 mins away .... and these 2 dealers trade inventory all the time.
That is how I roll. I have been known to take a car I am test driving to a competitor lot and look at their inventory.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Romans has a good point about waiting for a full truck with these items, but it should still have a tracking number on it. I've shipped car engines before and they get a tracking number the minute I get my invoice at the freight dock.
Kawasaki ships (by Ryder or a supply chain carrier)from there import distribution center (apparently California) to their State distribution centers (and I suspect they ship numerous truck loads weekly) .... in this case it would be either Il or MI, they are then shipped to dealers usually by common carriers. Until it leaves the state distribution centre, there would be no tracking numbers ..... my whole point is dealer trading .... the sub lives in SW Michigan, his dealer has access to a dealer network in MI. IN. IL and at a stretch OH. Unless he (the dealer) has pissed off every dealer in his surrounding area (and this does happen with dealers not playing fair with each other and the word does get around quickly), I just don't buy that there is not the said bike in a 1 to 2 hr radius.

When I bought my 2010 custom in 2012, I found a dealer 1.5 hrs away who had one. I went to my dealer ( who only had current models), he called him up and got the said bike I wanted on a dealer trade / inventory swap, then he picked it up the next morning.

This stuff happens all the time folks, through out the automotive and motorcycle industry.

BTW approx. 26 crated bikes fit into a 53 ft trailer .... the state of IL would collectively sell much more than that in a day.... that gives you an idea of how many truck loads leave the state of California every day.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I have been known to take a car I am test driving to a competitor lot and look at their inventory.
LMAO ... that's nasty .... but a great way to get the best price LOL

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
FYI

I copied from on - line ...... so it must be true LOL

Besides the headquarters building in Irvine, California, KMC has regional sales offices and/or distribution centers in Piscataway, New Jersey; Atlanta, Georgia; Fort Worth, Texas, and Grand Rapids, Michigan. Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp., U.S.A. of Lincoln, Nebraska operates a small engine manufacturing plant in Maryville, Missouri.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
thanks romans5.8, now why couldn't the dealer just tell me that and i wouldn't have to ask every week "is it there yet", "is it there yet", "is it there yet". ACTUALLY i contacted them a little while ago and this is their reply. "Motorcycle is released and on it's way from Chicago. I should know today whether we'll have it tomorrow or not. Thank you for patience and it's close!" . so weather permitting i could be riding by this weekend, fingers crossed. i knew my pissing and moaning would payoff.
I don't know that. It may vary wildly. They might order a bike one day and get it the next week, and order it the next time and get it three months later. Like I said, more often than not, the stuff sits until it's got a full truck.

And they might just be baiting you along because they don't know. They don't want to lose the sale to someone else who has something else on the lot, so they keep you hopeful! But I doubt it's anything that sinister. They are probably not wanting to give you any sort of definite figure because it probably varies alot. In fact, when I bought mine, they said "Kawasaki told us it would be in in the next 10 days, but that's not a guarantee. It could be a long longer". That's just the way this stuff works.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah it's all speculation. The full truck thing is what I was told about my car. It had nothing to do with the time it took to produce a special order with certain options. The several weeks it took me to get my car was AFTER it was built. With Ford, when you order a car, a week or two after ordering it gets 'scheduled'. That's the day it gets built. Build times takes however long for each model (about two days for my car), and then it sits in a lot. Then that long process of terminal-to-terminal until a full load (first train, then truck) is ready. Actually, I offered to fly up there and pick it up (thought it would be a fun trip) but they wouldn't let me. Either way, it was a several week process to get it shipped from the factory in Michigan, to here. And the wisdom of internet forums says that's pretty typical for special order cars. And typical for dealer-inventory cars (though sometimes slower as special orders always bump dealer inventory down the list for a truck/container/train). But obviously that's a car, not a small motorcycle in a crate.

The dealer to dealer trading is a good point. That's how we bought the wifes car. It was in Nebraska. They drove it down here, and hopped in a different car and drove that car back. Dealers trade inventory all the time. Not sure if that's as common with MC dealerships though. I do know that my dealer that I use doesn't typically trade inventory. (They have an enormous inventory though, about 1,000 bikes). In fact, I was in there once when a Goldwing guy complained about only a couple of Goldwings on the floor and there being a Goldwing-only dealer a few hours away. The salesman said "Go there for selection, come here for price.", and that's basically the way they operate. Cheap, fast, high volume, and pass the savings to the customer. But now that you mention it, it didn't seem anyone was offering to do a dealer trade.

All I know is, my bike was in the warehouse in MISSOURI and took a couple of weeks. Your salesman said it got "released". That's the same term they used for my Ford when it was sitting at the train terminal. Getting "released" meant, according to my salesman at the time, meant that there were enough cars going to one general area that they would send a truck to the terminal. It also got "released" from the factory when there were enough cars going to that terminal to fill a train.

Again, you're not shipping shaving cream from an Amazon warehouse to your house. Much bigger logistics where cost is all that matters. Cheap cheap cheap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
wait time for delivery

this may not be the deciding factor in your case but thought i would throw this in. bought my nomad new in july 2012. while chatting with the dealership manager during the sales paperwork process, he told me that Kaw had just gone to a month by month ordering process. prior to that time the dealers ordered only once a year for the bikes they would receive for the following year.guess it was up to Kaw as to when each model/style of bike was produced and shipped to the dealer. dont remember him saying how long the wait was after they started ordering month by month. im thinking now they may be waiting for an order to be delivered rather than doing a dealer to dealer trade. i know with ford, you can search online for a vehicle anywhere in the usa , find the one u want and go to your local dealer and have then do a dealer to dealer trade if the other dealer is willing and have it almost overnite. same should apply here, but most kaw dealers dont show 'in stock inventory' on their websites. you would have to call around to different dealers to find the one you wanted, then have your dealer go get it if they could arrange it. hope this makes sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts